What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford focus 1.6 cdti 61 plate - Unde warranty? - Frazinho

Had to get a new steering rack 6 months ago because of a leak. Took it in for it's mot today and was told it will need replaced again as it is leaking. Also told the steering rack boots had been ripped off as they were not there. Was wondering how likely this was and whether the rack would still be under warranty? Cheers

Ford focus 1.6 cdti 61 plate - Unde warranty? - bathtub tom

I had a steering rack boot tear after having the tracking adjusted. Took it back and the excuse they gave was 'we didn't slacken the clamp, because the track rod normally turns in the boot without us having to'. They'd twisted the boot to such an extent it split within a few days. Suffice to say they replaced the boot without charge and never saw me again.

I once witnessed a (original) mini with a CV boot twisted. How on earth did they manage that?

Ford focus 1.6 cdti 61 plate - Unde warranty? - elekie&a/c doctor
I would hope it is still under warranty.Perhaps the people that fitted the rack did not do a proper job in the first place. Was this a main dealer rack or aftermarket part?
Ford focus 1.6 cdti 61 plate - Unde warranty? - Frazinho

Thanks for the replies, main dealer part apparently. He says the warranty is likely to be void as there are no boots

Ford focus 1.6 cdti 61 plate - Unde warranty? - elekie&a/c doctor
The boots can only get ripped off if you have driven over something and the car has bottomed out.These are dust boots and prevent the ingress of debris into the rack.If they are not present,then the rack could be damaged and leak.