Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - Harry TT

Hi All,

I;m mulling over buying a 2013 Suzuki SX4 1.6 petrol SZ5 trim that comes with the extras that I'm after. I'm finding it difficult to see detailed reviews on the petrol engine.

Is this chain driven and does it have a single mass or dual mass flywheel?

Any other comments or suggestions on the car would be great, before I take the plunge.

Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - SLO76
It’s chain driven and very robust, you’re unlikely ever to have any major issues with one of these. Not sure if it has a DMF or not but I highly doubt it, even so I’ve never heard of any major issues with a petrol example. The Fiat diesel version is another thing entirely and I’d say best avoided.

Just be wary of how much you pay though as despite their reputation for reliability they don’t hold their value well at all, largely due to the slightly awkward styling. Good used buy though.
Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - badbusdriver

I remember reading an article somewhere that stated the 1.6 petrol version of the SZ4 to be the most reliable (used) SUV you can buy. Now i suppose there may be some debate as to whether or not the SX4 is actually an SUV, but setting that argument to one side, the bottom line is that they are extremely reliable, and that is the important part!. It is not going to be that economical (but not too thirsty), and it is not the most spacious car for its size (but not what you'd call cramped), interior plastics are going to be of the hard and shiny variety, but other than that, its all good!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/05/2018 at 17:41

Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - TrevL

Mine has done 188,000 miles Harry, no mechanical issues at all. 42 mpg average. Did a 250 mile round trip yesterday, three of us all over six foot, no complaints about the comfort.

Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - gordonbennet

I always thought these a cracking little motor when i used to deliver them, rare too, the Fiat Sedici versions often used to come with Continental Winter tyres already fitted, as with the 4wd Panda.

Were the Fiat Sedici versions more common with all wheel drive? just wondering.

Not sure in terms of what proportion of cars sold had 4wd, but currently on Ebay there are 184 SX4's and 15 Sedici's for sale, Autotrader is listing 174 SX4's and 18 Sedici's!.

If, on Autotrader, you refine the search by selecting four wheel drive for the drivetrain, that numbers change to 49 SX4's vs 17 Sedici's. Those numbers would suggest to me that while there were much more SX4's sold in this country, most are FWD, whereas a much greater percentage of Sedici's were 4WD.

many thanks - I'll be positive going into the viewing now.

It is the newer shape (not the newest) and is the front wheel drive.

I wanted a car with all the gizmo's and from what I have found the SZ5 comes with cruise control, leather seats, heated front seats, pano roof, reverse camera, front and rear sensors. It's quite surprising to find all that in what isn't known as a premium make or model.

I'm hoping to get over 40 MPG in what will be mostly local driving.

Does the 1.6 petrol have a turbo and is it a 3 or 4 cylinder engine?

Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - coopshere
I have the 2015 CvT Allgrip version now with 21k miles from new. It hasn’t missed a beat so far. Even with the CVT I get 42mpg no matter how I drive it. The trim is well screwed together and showing no signs of wear anywhere. Can be made to move rapidly if desired with excellent handling and road holding. Very comfortable on long trips and all the gizmos you need. Great value for money compared to other marques of similar size.
I have the 2015 CvT Allgrip version now with 21k miles from new. It hasn’t missed a beat so far. Even with the CVT I get 42mpg no matter how I drive it. The trim is well screwed together and showing no signs of wear anywhere. Can be made to move rapidly if desired with excellent handling and road holding. Very comfortable on long trips and all the gizmos you need. Great value for money compared to other marques of similar size.

That isn't the same as the type the OP is refering to, the one which was a joint project with Fiat. Yours was what came after, since then itself heavily facelifted, but still more or less the same underneath. And i'd expect the CVT to provide decent economy as that is what they are designed to do, always be at optimum revs for economy (unless pushing on).

sorry for any confusion..the one I am looking to buy is 2013-2016 shape I think. Does that have the same engine etc as the previous shape. Apologies for not being clear.

Ah, yes, that would mean it is the same as coopshere's one. I believe it to be the same engine, but even if it isn't, the newer car has an equally enviable reputation for reliablity. Also has a much bigger boot!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/05/2018 at 21:09

good to know - looking forward to the viewing!

Suzuki SX4 - Suzuki SX4 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - SteveLee

SWMBO's 09 SX4 has been completely reliable - absolutely nothing has gone wrong, the 1.6 petrol is a bit noisy (not much sound insulation) but the much revised 2010 onwards 1.6 petrol has much more grunt and is more refined and efficient. There's absolutely nothing to worry about with these cars - you'd have to be very unlucky to hit a mechanical issue. The 1.6 petrol is a conventional normally aspirated engine, the only thing with Suzukis is paint quality - invest in a decent car wax or equivalent protective paintwork treatment and you should be fine.

Yes there are plenty of cars which better the SX4 in terms of creature-comforts, interior plushness and fuel efficiency - but - few match their dependability - they are also great fun to drive, surprisingly good handling. With basic servicing these things just run and run.

'Ere indoor's 2WD is fitted with Firestone Multiseason tyres and was unstoppable in the recent snow - not through lack of trying, I sought out hilly untreated roads to test its mettle and didn't suffer a single hiccup.

Suzuki SX4 S CROSS 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - Harry TT

Sorry guys, the car I'm referring to is the SX4 S Cross. I should have researched it properly before posting. Do these have a timing belt or chain and does it have a dual mass flywheel?

Suzuki SX4 S CROSS 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - SLO76

Sorry guys, the car I'm referring to is the SX4 S Cross. I should have researched it properly before posting. Do these have a timing belt or chain and does it have a dual mass flywheel?

Chain cam and again don’t think it has a DMF, certainly not known for going wrong if it does. Again the Fiat diesel is another thing entirely. It’s just an evolution of the previous model and shouldn’t give any trouble at all if serviced regularly. Watch what you pay though as it will plummet in value as all larger Suzuki’s do.
Suzuki SX4 S CROSS 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - Harry TT

ah thanks. Yeah I don't want it to depreciate more than £1,000 for each year I keep it.

The 1.6 petrol is non turbo..is that a good thing because it is one less expensive thing that can go wrong or is it better to have the extra power?

Suzuki SX4 S CROSS 2013 1.6 Petrol Questions - SteveLee

Same drivetrain as the standard SX4, no DMF (1.6 petrol) - made (assembled?) in the same factory.