What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Conversation with a mechanical fitter - daveyK_UK

I had the pleasure tofay of spending nearly an hour in the company of a hire car company mechaincal fitter/repair guy who was attending a relatives hire van

His pearls of wisdom -

If your buying a car, buy Toyota or Lexus

If your buying a car, dont buy a Renault

If your buying a commercial vehicle, buy a MAN TGE (far better aftersales support than VW provide with the Crafter), a Vauxhall Vivaro (easy to work on, not alot goes wrong) or Toyota Hilux (only ever need a service)

If your buying a commercial vehicle dont buy any IVECO model ('Fiat rubbish') or a Ford Transit Courier with the 1.0 ecoboost engine (clutches dont last long)

A few recent things he mentioned -

* currently only Landrover dealers can change the rear brakes on the discovery sport, its meant to be very complex with the electric parking brake

* there is a batch of full size 67/18 plate ford transits with the hill assist that locks fully on and needs a dealer visit to provide a permanent fix

* recently did a first year service on a ssangyong musso and found it to be as well built as the hilux

* the new cummings diesel engine in the hilux is a delight, easy to service and work around

Edited by daveyK_UK on 13/05/2018 at 00:10

Conversation with a mechanical fitter - gordonbennet
the new cummings diesel engine in the hilux is a delight, easy to service and work around

Now that's something i didn't know about, Cummins haven't exactly been enthusiastic about trying to meet EU emissions targets that mean the engines are increasingly complicated and less reliable long term, but good news indeed if they are re-entering the market, Cummins have a long history of rugged powerful and reliable engines.

Makes sense MAN dealers taking over after sales support from VW with the large van range with the rebadged range.

Conversation with a mechanical fitter - badbusdriver

Interesting nuggets of info there Davey!.

In the late 90's i worked at a car and van hire company and the bosses opinion on Iveco was rather different. Our big vans were all Iveco Daily's, this was, according to the boss, because they were the best in terms of reliablity and servicing costs. Of course, that was some time ago, but i also had experience of my own Iveco when i 1st started cleaning windows. Due to being given some duff info regarding the size of water tank i would need as a solo operator, i ended up buying a SWB high roof 2003 Iveco Daily with (175k miles). I loved that van so much, it was extremely comfortable, refined and quiet in the cab, an outstanding heating an ventilation system (despite no air-con), and an amazingly tight steering lock like a London taxi which meant it could u-turn in a ridiculously small space. Nothing went wrong with it during the year i had it (other than age/mileage related wear and tear). I'd have one again in a second if i could justify running a van that size!.

Also interesting that the only thing he mentioned re the 1.0 ecoboost Courier was clutches?

Edited by badbusdriver on 13/05/2018 at 11:34

Conversation with a mechanical fitter - Steveieb
Really surprised about his comments about the Vivaro, a van that has even featured on Watchdog regarding the problems with rusted on head gaskets. And weak gearboxes .
That could account for them being the van of choice for customers wanting a cheap van?
Conversation with a mechanical fitter - bathtub tom

The OPs remarks are the result of one person's views. There's thousands of fitters out there with their own opinions.

I do agree with the view about French vehicles!

Conversation with a mechanical fitter - Andrew-T

I do agree with the view about French vehicles!

He didn't make a remark about French vehicles, but he did mention Renaults ....

Conversation with a mechanical fitter - daveyK_UK

I assume he meant the current new shape vivaro as we where talking about new vehicles

I thought the head gasket issue on the vivaro was the previous shape (upto 2015/16)?