What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fords Various - 2.0 TDCi Engine, 2010, 160hp - V4 Heaven
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of doing high mileage in a Ford fitted with one of these engines?

Are they robust and good for circa 200k with regular maintenance?

Fitted to various Ford Focus and Kuga cars.

Thanks.
Fords Various - 2.0 TDCi Engine, 2010, 160hp - SLO76
It’s basically the same 16v PSA HDi motor as used in tens of thousands of Peugeot/Fiat hackney taxis across the UK with many well beyond half a million miles. The biggest worries come from the DPF (though no worse than any modern diesel) and the DMF which can break up at less than 70k leaving a bill for £1,200 plus.

If you’re on a tight budget I’d avoid any modern DPF equipped diesel but if you’re flush enough to be able to afford a good one or capable of weathering the inevitable big bills then they are very pleasant big cars to drive.

It’s fundamentally a good engine but if you’re doing only a modest (sub 15k p/a) mileage a petrol Focus or possibly a Mazda 6 would be a more reliable bet. A 2.0 Mazda 6 (based on the Mondeo) will break 40mpg with care and has no mechanical vices to worry about. The 2.0 petrol Mondeo uses the same Mazda motor but is a bit juicier for some reason. Will you be doing enough mileage to offset the added repair and maintenance costs of an older diesel?

Edited by SLO76 on 12/04/2018 at 22:57

Fords Various - 2.0 TDCi Engine, 2010, 160hp - Ian D
I have that engine (albeit a 140 hp so not 100% sure if it is all the same) on a 110k 2008 S-Max, just prior to DPFs being introduced, owned for 3 years from 60k, no probs apart from clutch/DMF at 100k, local Ford dealers £1100 to £1300, local Indy using top quality LUK parts £698 all in, 40 to 47 mpg including short trips, nice to drive, no complaints, non DPF ones were available until late 2008 early 2009. So overall no complaints.

Edited by Ian D on 12/04/2018 at 23:09

Fords Various - 2.0 TDCi Engine, 2010, 160hp - Miniman777

LUK are the original suppliers I was once told. Had a chattering DMF replaced in a 2003 TDci Mondeo (130hp), parts from ebay (and genuine) were less than local garage could buy trade. The also replaced the crankshaft oil seal too. Original clutch did 110k at replacement, I did a further 55k on it before trading in. The local indy price is what I paid when adding my ebay sourced DMF and clutch, so that is a keen price as it is a bar steward of a job.

Fords Various - 2.0 TDCi Engine, 2010, 160hp - V4 Heaven
Thanks for the responses so far.

I forgot about the DMF. I'm surprised that there hasn't been some sort of class action against Ford if it's such a known/recurring problem.

I do 16,000 miles a year, so you can say I'm on the cusp of diesel ownership, although my 26 mile commute is A roads and country lanes which points towards petrol.