What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki Splash - drive shaft seal leak - Project C

Hi (not a fiesta radio code thread, woop)

Took my wife's splash for the annual service and was advised rear shock absorber requires replacement but also that the o/s drive shaft seal is leaking and requires repair

My wife has a friend with a similar agila and hers had to have a replacement gear box. Wondering if gear box problems are common on the splash and most importantly what the consequences of the drive shaft seal leaking might be, ie, what else should I check with this in mind?

Thanks

Suzuki Splash - drive shaft seal leak - Bromptonaut

Hi (not a fiesta radio code thread, woop)

Took my wife's splash for the annual service and was advised rear shock absorber requires replacement but also that the o/s drive shaft seal is leaking and requires repair

My wife has a friend with a similar agila and hers had to have a replacement gear box. Wondering if gear box problems are common on the splash and most importantly what the consequences of the drive shaft seal leaking might be, ie, what else should I check with this in mind?

Thanks

If it's leaking oil at gearbox/final drive end of shaft then, if losing oil in quantity, it could result in gearbox failing for lack of lubrication. Whether it's a weakness on Splash/Agila I've no idea.

Suzuki Splash - drive shaft seal leak - gordonbennet

Whatever else you do or don't do about this, check the gearbox oil level, and judge by how much it needs to top it back up and by what the stain is like where you park at home, how often you need to recheck and top up again.

If its only the odd drop then it could carry on like this indefinately if you keep it topped up regularly, but in theory replacing the drive shaft oil seal should be a simple job, in theory.

Suzuki Splash - drive shaft seal leak - hardway

Well the drive shaft seal is fairly low down in the box so eventually there'll be no oil lubing the main/layshaft bearings then the diff bearings are going to run dry.

And at that point with several hundered pounds it MAY be repaiable.

If not then it's s/h box needed.

Where as right now it just a new seal and oil needed,

Way cheaper.