What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vitara S - Hand car washes - Ethan Edwards

Had the car three weeks. Just taken it to a hand car wash cos it was dirty. They used a plastic blade thing to swoosh water off the roof and bonnet. Now I have three deep scratches on the roof of about a meter each and a 30cm deeper scratch on the bonnet. It's a solid red car and it's down to the white primer.

Gutted. I preferred it dirty and unruined.

Didn't notice till I was home. Don't let them use those things on your car ever.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 24/03/2018 at 17:34

Vitara S - Hand car washes - Manatee

Those squeegees are well known for making scratches. Even if you wipe the blade before using it, there can still be grit on the car that the blade just drags across the paint. At best you will get fine scratches, at worst the sort of thing that has happened to yours.

The hand car-wash I occasionally go to uses blowers.

I need to arrange a service for my MX-5. I won't be using one particular dealer since I saw how they wash service-customers' cars, using squeegees. I could tell them not to wash mine of course, but I wouldn't trust them to remember.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - veloceman
Tempting as it is in this cold weather but I always do it myself.
Good rinse first. Lambs wool mit and two bucket method.
Rinse again.
Don’t like leathers, I use a detailer and wipe off with a soft microfibre cloth.
Takes half the time and and a no- streak finish.
And yes, my car is black so I take every precaution.
Vitara S - Hand car washes - Palcouk

As a general rule, like everything else, you get what you pay for.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - concrete

Sorry to read that Ethan. Very disappointing especially with such a new vehicle. Thank you for heads up. I don't use them much but I will now observe them beforehand to see how they actually wash and dry the vehicles. Maybe some of the forum know a method of restoring your vehicle paint work without a re-spray. Good luck. Concrete

I've left messages with a couple of smart repair peeps for estimates but I reckon it'll be a roof/ hood respray. Not metallic a solid fire engine red. Any ideas how much?

Vitara S - Hand car washes - galileo

I've left messages with a couple of smart repair peeps for estimates but I reckon it'll be a roof/ hood respray. Not metallic a solid fire engine red. Any ideas how much?

I wouldn't think a quality respray would be under £500 to £600

Thanks...one expensive car wash wasn't it.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - concrete

I wouldn't think a quality respray would be under £500 to £600

I has a chat with some bodyshop lads in my local. Galileo is about on the money. At least with a 3 week old car the paint will be fresh and more chance of a better match with new paint. They also said a touch in and polish might do it but they weren't prepared to guarantee it. Question of doing a small area and see the results. Good luck. Cheers Concrete

Vitara S - Hand car washes - Leif
That’s a horror story, thanks for the warning, you’d think a hand wash would be gentler than a machine, surely touch up merchants could do a decent job?

I'll try smart repairs but it's a three week old car. I'm not prepared to live with good enough I want it right.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - galileo

I had a smart repair to minor damage to a back bumper, that cost £100 (though the guy lent me a courtesy car while he tokk mine o his workshop).

I would suggest that for a 3 week old car I'd shop round a couple of proper body shops for a price, might get an impression of how good they are (tidyness of premises etc.).

Some of these places advertise which insurers approve them, the dealer you bought the car from might recommend one if you ask.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - gordonbennet

I wonder if its the paint being so new, and maybe slightly soft still, that has caused the issue, we are warned about washing our new tractor units and road tanker trailers too much until they are about 3/6 months old to give the paint a chance to weather.

I'd be inclined to have a chat with a professional detailer to see if they have any products which could make this acceptable, even if it needs redoing annually.

You'll be talking £200 a panel at least for a decent paint job, which i would try to avoid doing if poss and not just for the cost.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - skidpan

Not metallic a solid fire engine red.

That is without a doubt the worst colour in my experience to match. I had a vandal scratch down to side and the garage was able to paint between two fold lines and blend it in, looked great. That was until about 8 in the evening when the street lights came on, the original car was red, the repainted bit was a 6" wide bright orange stripe down the side.

Garage said that was the best they could do. I refused to pay the bill.

6 months later someone stoved the same side in so back to the body shop again, a different one this time. Explained to him what had happened perviously and he said not to worry, they could deal with it. Looked great on collection and great under street lights.

So make sure they know you are aware of the problems matching solid red paint.

6 months later I had a final demand from the first garage but unfortunately I was not in a position to challange their workmanship since it had been painted over by garage number 2. Had to pay the bill, not happy.

Smart repairs apparently not an option. So now visiting a body shop.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - NARU

I understand that many of them use brick acid on alloy wheels. Diluted down of course, but it explains why the wheels often clean up well!

Vitara S - Hand car washes - argybargy

Sorry to hear about this.

I have nothing but hindsight to offer, inasmuch as I would never use a hand car wash. Not sure about nowadays, but they used to be a route for money laundering. The carwash business was a front rather than something the operatives were expected to take pride in.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - John F

Sorry to hear about this.

..... inasmuch as I would never use a hand car wash.

Neither would I - and neither would I ever buy a brand new car for general use only to have to worry about expensive scratches on what is basically a tool, like a wheelbarrow or a lawn mower.

To hand wash, fill a watering can fitted with a sprinkler rose from the water butt, and rinse off the grime with a soft carwash brush. No detergents or other needless additives (which will instantly remove any benefit from polishing). No rubbing dry with cloths or wash leathers (which will inevitably cause microscratches). Butt water is soft and doesn't leave marks. Polish once a year. It's good healthy excercise.

Vitara S - Hand car washes - V4 Heaven
I'd heard similar in that they use neat traffic film remover which is very acidic. This softens the paint and lacquer which they then blast off with a high power jet wash.

Hence why you see a lot of cars with patchy paint with the lacquer peeling off now.

Edited by V4 Heaven on 27/03/2018 at 14:53