What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - Johnwright123

HI,

I have had an accident with a pickup truck. Pickup truck was in fourth lane and hit my car while taking exit from fourth lane to first.

He was driving at 75-80mph and I couldn’t prove that he was driving fast. Highway authorities couldn’t provide the video clip of the incident eventhough I gave the exact time & place. They had cameras around that place.

I was reading some forum that he needs to have a hard top/Rigid top for the entire pickup truck to drive in the outside lane. Is it true?.

Whether there is any restriction to have speed limiter in his truck?

His pickup truck weighs more than 2040Kg and has four-wheel drive.

Insurance company is going for 50:50 ; I am not happy with that as this is not my fault.

Appreciate your help,

John

Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - Palcouk

Motorway outside lane restrictions; It appears to be ok for that vehicle. If a vehicle was in an outside lane and decided to exit at a junction in most cases it would be his responsibility to do so safely

It is an offence to drive a vehicle in the outside lane of a motorway which is:

1. towing a trailer; or
  2. a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
  3. a goods vehicle between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted; or
  4. a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes; or
  5. a passenger vehicle which can carry 8 or more passengers with a maximum laden weight between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes without a speedlimiter being fitted.
Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - DaveL90

That settles it, I'm getting a dash cam after xmas. This should be just like the rule regarding rear-ending, namely that the rear-ender is at fault by default unless proved otherwise. Hitting a car from the right should be the same with regards to the car approaching from the outside lane (as this truck was). Is there any way you can argue your case further?

There's no rules about having an open back to a truck though, not sure where you got that from.

Edited by DaveL90 on 21/12/2017 at 21:04

Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - FP

It may be worth pushing your case anyway. You don't want to lose your excess, nor do you want to face higher premiums in the future than necessary.

If the damage to your car is front offside you may be able to make an argument based on that.

A footnote: this business of not getting into the nearside lane in good time for the exit is one of my pet hates. Despite driving only a short distance on the M1 most days, I see it all the time - people making outrageously dangerous last-minute lurches across several lanes as they dive for the exit. It is either inability to look and plan ahead, or it's blatant selfishness. It's also frighteningly dangerous, given how close some of these idiots get to other fast-moving traffic.

Edited by FP on 22/12/2017 at 12:58

Ford Ranger - Pickup truck hit my car - HGV ~ P Valentine

what lane was you in ? 1st,2nd or 3rd

Did the other driver indicate ther intent to change lanes

I can tell you why they said 50/50, but need you to answer the above questions please.

Where was the damage on your car, a .. o/s only, b .. O/s front or o/s front corner.

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 10/01/2018 at 18:35