What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Grilles - groaver

Merely out of curiosity, does anyone know if there is such a genuine need for the big grilles on modern cars?

I remember cars from the lates 80s and early 90s that had very little such as the Mazda MX6 coupe.

www.carsguide.com.au/car-reviews/used-car-review-m...5

Or the Ford Sierra:

www.classicandperformancecar.com/ford/sierra/4036/...a

Was it Rover that reintroduced the look?

It seems that just about everything these days has one and I for one miss the sleeker look without.

Any - Grilles - Terry W

A bit of a guess - providing adequate cooling as more and more cars have engine undertrays and aircon fitted..

As manufacturers use largely the same software to optimise weight and aerodynamic efficiency, and physics (temperature, air density etc) are a constant it is unsurprising cars are becoming largely externally undifferentiated bar minor bits of trim and the odd body crease.

Any - Grilles - elekie&a/c doctor

Many cars have big grilles and large air intakes,but are also fitted with electronic controlled radiator shutter systems to reduce engine warm-up time.

Any - Grilles - Manatee

Plenty are optical illusions. The actual aperture is a fraction of the apparent maw.

Any - Grilles - RT

A modern car has a plethora of coolers needed - engine coolant, air-con condenser, transmission fluid cooler, turbo intercooler, power steering cooler - and then the brakes need cooling too - the coolers can be put one in front of the other but then the cooling air gets progressively hotter, needing bigger area.

SUVs do need bigger cooling grilles - often using more power/torque than the saloon/hatchback/estate/crossover equivalent - but at lower speeds especially if towing. Noticeably the Porsche Cayenne has much less grill area than its VW Touareg sibling despite having much more powerful engine options.

Any - Grilles - badbusdriver

Having a huge grill is simply for image. So many cars these days look angry or aggressive, which, apparently is what sells. The combination of grill and headlights is the easiest way to achieve this.

Any - Grilles - groaver

I wonder if the introduction of electric vehicles will cause a reduction in the look or a bbd says, the masses will demand the continuation of it.

I hope not.

Any - Grilles - RT

Most EVs I've seen pictures of look as though they simply forgot to cut out the grille opening in a GRP moulding

Any - Grilles - argybargy

Angry or aggressive...yes, BBD.

I've particularly noticed a trend towards this in the design of headlights, with rows of spots that form "eyebrows" angled downwards and inwards to give the "eyes" of the headlights below them an impression of impatience, aggression, anger, or all three.

As if tailgaters weren't bad enough without giving the darned things a narky face.

Edited by argybargy on 18/11/2017 at 09:47

Any - Grilles - Andrew-T

Having a huge grill is simply for image. So many cars these days look angry or aggressive, which, apparently is what sells. The combination of grill and headlights is the easiest way to achieve this.

Exactly right, BBD. As Terry W says, vehicles' shape was optimised in the wind tunnel many years ago. The stylists have taken over, as the only way to keep selling more vehicles is to persuade buyers that the new ones are really different, maybe even better (but not necessarily). So it's either the external look, or yet another largely pointless gizmo inside.

Any - Grilles - gordonbennet

I thought Pug had reached a new low on the horrid things nailed onto 4007's/407/308 etc, but Lexus have really taken ugly to the extreme and completely ruined their line up of cars in the process,

Compare a 460LS circa 2010 with the latest of almost anything they make, and each new model goes further into crass eyesore level, course they arn't alone in this but it's probably one of the worse examples, apart from ever uglier Bentleys, in the world of motoring.

Of course, grills can be used for comedy effect, probably the most famous (series production) example being,......

classiccars.brightwells.com/images/lots/a1_29.jpg

The closest current equivalent being the mercedes citan (renault kangoo)

img2.auto.cz/img/32/article/1502860-img-mercedes-b...0

but there are other, much worse examples!

media.motortopia.com/files/28819/vehicle/556c25da0...g

While this isn't a grill, it is using the same idea of using an automotive face mask to disguise, or pretend to be something else,

cloudlakes.com/data_images/models/subaru-sambar/su...p

Edited by badbusdriver on 18/11/2017 at 12:16

Ignore the last link, it is not what i intended. It was supposed to be a picture of a subaru sambar.

Try this instead

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-Subaru-Sambar-660cc-Retro-...0

Any - Grilles - Sofa Spud

I like the '"non-grille" on the Tesla Model 3 - where it has a shape that suggests where the grille might have been if it had needed one, but left smooth and blank - a bit remeniscent of the Renault Caravelle of the 1960's.

static5.businessinsider.com/image/59821a3eb50ab1ca...g

www.retroemotion.com/userfiles/photos/Voitures/Car...g

Another interesting "non-grille" was the first prototype Routemaster bus of 1954. It was later updated with a the familiar standard Routemaster front end.

www.londonbusmuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12...g

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/11/2017 at 21:46

Any - Grilles - Avant

Often the real air intake is below the front bumper, and the 'grille' is just there for show. If there's no grille at all, as on the Tesla and Caravelle above, come the summer the dead flies will be far more visible.

Yeah, as an ex bus driver, I know all about the mess insects make on a forward facing vertical surface!!

Any - Grilles - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Like on the condenser, oil cooler etc. instead.

A recent report says that the number of flying insects has plummeted.

I'm not saying that is good, just that our cars may be less splattered.