What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - John F

Some might say when the repair cost equals its value.

Our 16yr old 122,000m Focus has just failed the MoT, rusty sill <12" from rear seat belt mount. It will cost around £80 +vat to weld. The rest of the car is fine. One of the 'buyanypram.scams' offers £110, minus £50 admin fee, which probably approximates to the trade-in value.

However, apparently the average scrappage age is 14yrs. So for a £14,000 new car that's depreciation at £1000 p.a., double for a £28,000 car, more in the early years, less later. So others might say keep the car until any repair estimate exceeds the guesstimate of the first year's depreciation of its replacement.

What do you think?

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - RobJP

I'd look at it differently.

If the rest of the car is sound, it'll cost less than £100 to get (hopefully) another year's worth of motoring out of it.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - elekie&a/c doctor

If that is all is wrong with it,I would say get it fixed.I have a similar aged Focus done 150k runs like a train but has similar corrosion.Just got through this years mot .If it fails next time I will say goodbye to it.I payed £400 for it ,3 years ago.Cost me £25 last year for a new coolant pipe.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - gordonbennet
What do you think?

What i think is this, one might say whether the repair cost equals its value is neither here nor there, if there's decent life in the car and you still want it do the work and keep it, devil you know and all that, then do it if it suits you.

The only time monetary value matters is if you want to sell, there's also sentimental or appreciative value in that the car has given you good service so maybe deserves a bit of TLC and another year at least.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - SLO76
I'd certainly repair it at that money. Makes no sense scrapping an old car you know is reliable to replace it with another old cheapie you don't.

Makes sense even if you don't want to keep it. It's worthless as scrap (£50 if you're lucky) but running with a years ticket you'll get £300-£500 privately depending on how it looks.

There's never any point in trading in old stuff like this. Pal recently tried to trade in her old Passat and was offered £50-£100. She ended up with £200 discount and £300 in her tail from the old motor by involving me.

We buy any car don't want old Junkers either. If it's not retailable stock they're not remotely interested.
Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Andrew-T

We're all in agreement here. As I related a day or two ago, I topped up the write-off value of my 9-year-old Pug with £250 to get a 100%-reliable car back on the road. So far it's driving just the same as before, and has just passed its 7th MoT (including a tracking check) without comment. I couldn't have changed it for anything better for less money, and it saved me the hassle of trying.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - bathtub tom

I reckon it's worth whatever it would cost you to get another car with a years MOT. That £100 repair weld then starts looking cheap.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Fishermans Bend

Great car, keep it, unless you fancy a change. It doesn't owe you anything.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Ian_SW

If that's the only fix to get it through the MOT, definitely worth doing and keeping going until one really big expense engine/gearbox/clutch fails, or if everything cheaper needs doing at the same time. There's probably £100 worth of wear left on the tyres, and another £20 in the fuel tank, so you'll easily get your money's worth.

Cars of that age last surprisingly well. We traded in my wife's 14 year old Octavia a couple of years ago with 1 month left on the MOT, and knowing it was going to cost about £500 to get it through (many small things came at once). The dealer gave us £200 for it, and I assumed it was headed for the scrap yard. I put its number plate into the MOT check just out of curiosity a few weeks ago and found it is still on the road, and has done another 70 000 miles in the last 2 years. Presumably a mini cab driver picked it up at auction for next to nothing, fixed the problems themselves and is now really getting their money's worth.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - JEREMYH

Put it through the MOT and run it on and on and on

Too many cars are broken up now for no reason at all its all to do with advertising and being flash ,facebook, instagram and Kanye and the Kardashians (who ever they are !)

I run a y reg 2000 Toyota Privia people carrier and a 1996 Saab convertible You wont see me without money in the bank struggling to maintain car loans !

One of the vans in my business as mentioned on here is a 53 plate Citroen C15 van that does 75K a year it cost £400 and has only had a drive shaft and starter motor this year

I see vehicles as a waste of money but if you have old ones they will look after you if you look after them .

Put the Focus back on the road give it a polish with some expensive stuff (not supermarket) treat it to a nice new stereo and you will have the perfect car !

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Bromptonaut

One of the vans in my business as mentioned on here is a 53 plate Citroen C15 van that does 75K a year it cost £400 and has only had a drive shaft and starter motor this year

Last week there was a van on the car park I use for work. It had logos on for Corby Council and was apparently used by a mobile warden.

Nothing unusual in itself but I'd expect vans in that role to be <3yrs, probably leased. This one was on a 56 plate so more than 10yrs old.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - expat

Keep it, get it welded and then spray inside all the panels with Waxoyl or something like that. If rust has come through one place it may well be festering inside somewhere else. Waxoyl won't fix it but it will slow it right down. It is a cheap and easy precaution.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - barney100

No contest, get it welded and it could go on for quite a while yet and much cheaper than replacing.

Thanks for replies; especially the salutary story about the extra 70,000m from the old trade-in! The plasticised sill protection caught me out - quietly rotting away invisibly underneath it. I shall get it sorted. As for the decent stereo suggestion, there is a tape cassette irretrievably jammed in the mechanism - which is no great loss as we only listen to the radio. Comfier car for long trips.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - carl233

Totally agree too many older cars are broken up that could soldier on for many years more. Cars are overpriced in this country new and I have no desire to have cash tied up in a heavily depreciating asset!

Despite being mortgage free and earning what could be considered a very high salary I am running a MK2 Mondeo with 224,000 on the clock and it is still going strong. Yes it takes up time with repairs and additional looking after but is so cheap to run in general despite the higher fuel burn. The engine still sounds mint as the oil is changed every 5k miles.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - corax

Despite being mortgage free and earning what could be considered a very high salary I am running a MK2 Mondeo with 224,000 on the clock and it is still going strong. Yes it takes up time with repairs and additional looking after but is so cheap to run in general despite the higher fuel burn. The engine still sounds mint as the oil is changed every 5k miles.

My uncle had an estate one of those. Never thought much of them until he gave me a lift and it really was a lovely, quiet, comfortable car.

My uncle had an estate one of those. Never thought much of them until he gave me a lift and it really was a lovely, quiet, comfortable car.

Agreed, i thought it was a much nicer car than the mk 3.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - JEREMYH

Thats what I like to hear Carl

We are here to create wealth for ourselves and not support the profits of others

Edited by JEREMYH on 18/03/2017 at 20:24

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - carl233

Very true, subsidising the profits of others is essentially what the new car market is in my opinion. Whilst cars are overpriced in this country it is great for the second hand buyer as there are so many bargains for older cars as few people seem to want them.

Also some of the faults with new cars are comical like my neighbour that has been through two engine failures for the troubled 1.0 EcoBoost unit. In addition Ford treating customers like dirt when making warranty claims, but that is another story. Would much rather have the older Zetec-e engine of which some examples have passed over the 350k mile mark.

When the MK2 Mondeo is replaced will expect change out of £2,500 when buying its replacement and will also expect it to last the best part of a decade!

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Wackyracer

Very true, subsidising the profits of others is essentially what the new car market is in my opinion. Whilst cars are overpriced in this country it is great for the second hand buyer as there are so many bargains for older cars as few people seem to want them.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who will take the huge depreciation hit of buying a new car every 3 years rather than buy a set of tyres and what ever other consumables might be needed.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Andrew-T

<< It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who will take the huge depreciation hit of buying a new car every 3 years rather than buy a set of tyres and what ever other consumables might be needed. >>

Maybe some of them believe that once the warranty runs out things will start to go wrong? Well, that certainly applies with some things, such as the gas boiler we fitted in our last house. The PCB failed a month out of warranty - over £200 to replace.

And of course with modern cars some parts cost a few arms and legs to replace ....

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - nailit

<< It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who will take the huge depreciation hit of buying a new car every 3 years rather than buy a set of tyres and what ever other consumables might be needed. >>

When I asked an old neighbour why he buys new every 2 to 3 years, the friendly reply was "because I can afford to". No bragging or snobbery he's just a character, said with a glint in his eye. If you are in his position and knocking on a bit, why not, as the saying goes you can't take it with you.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - bathtub tom
the gas boiler we fitted in our last house. The PCB failed a month out of warranty - over £200 to replace.

I'd argue with the supplier that it wasn't fit for purpose. I certainly wouldn't just accept it.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Bromptonaut
the gas boiler we fitted in our last house. The PCB failed a month out of warranty - over £200 to replace.

I'd argue with the supplier that it wasn't fit for purpose. I certainly wouldn't just accept it.

Always worth a try. The shower tray in my caravan cracked a couple of months out of warranty - £800+.. Mention of sale of goods act and fitness for purpose saw it fettled foc.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Leif

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who will take the huge depreciation hit of buying a new car every 3 years rather than buy a set of tyres and what ever other consumables might be needed.

Quite. You end up paying at least £3,000 a year rather than considerably less. But some people just look at monthly payments.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Mo Jones

Hmm, think I know the answer to this one, but ours is 14 years old, around 90k miles and having just had a new clutch and service, the engine is shot. Local garage saying not worth fixing the engine or putting in one from a scrap yard as a common fault at this age, but I'm so reluctant to scrap a car that's had nothing wrong for the other 8 years we've owned it. Time to give up?

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - SLO76

Hmm, think I know the answer to this one, but ours is 14 years old, around 90k miles and having just had a new clutch and service, the engine is shot. Local garage saying not worth fixing the engine or putting in one from a scrap yard as a common fault at this age, but I'm so reluctant to scrap a car that's had nothing wrong for the other 8 years we've owned it. Time to give up?

If it needs an engine then yes, it’s bin time. I’m assuming it’s a diesel? The petrols rarely go badly wrong.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/05/2019 at 23:59

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - SteveLee

The answer to this isn't straightforward - it's based on the finances of the individual. If the aim is to keep motoring costs as low as possible, paying to repair a "worthless" car is far cheaper than buying another one - and the replacement budget car may have far more wrong with it than the one you know; So if you're chucking £400-£500 at a car every year to keep it on the road - that's not expensive motoring. Alternatively, just driving a new £14K car out the showroom will lose you 8 years’ worth of repair costs at £500 a shot on your old Focus - but the satisfaction of driving a new car may out-weigh the cost, it's all about affordability..

Of course, there comes a time when the Focus isn't viable any more, but if the repairs are make-and-mend to an otherwise perfectly functional car then that's always the cheapest option. Writing a car off or scrapping it because a repair costs more than the value of the car is just man-maths to justify a new car. Which is fine if that's what you want to do.

Edited by SteveLee on 03/05/2019 at 00:04

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - NARU

Back in 2004, we changed our 1996 Mk1 Mondeo estate for a Jazz.

As the dealer was only offering £1000 trade in, we gave the Mondeo to some friends who were temporarily down on their luck. It lasted another 13 years, with only regular maintenance and (I think) a clutch.

Edited to add: 2.0 petrol ghia.

Edited by NARU on 03/05/2019 at 10:06

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Ian_SW

Out if interest, as this is a 2 year old thread revival, is JohnF's Focus which the original questoon was about still going? If so, that repair will have only cost him £40 for each year of motoring.

I probably spend more than that on running my push bike!

On old cars with no value, the time to change is when something catastrophic fails like an engine or gearbox, or you get bored of it. For people who prefer to run newer cars, there is however a 'sweet spot' where swapping a car a few years old for a nearly new one can be only a little more expensive than changing a large number of consumables at once. It's perfectly possible to blow £2000 on tyres, timing belt, brakes and a major service if they all happen at once.

I'm amazed at the number of people though who've justified replacing a car because it's just had a very expensive service. A typical example was a colleague who paid a main dealer £750 for a timing belt and water pump replacement, and then traded the car in a week later because 'it was getting a bit expensive to run'.

Out if interest, as this is a 2 year old thread revival, is JohnF's Focus which the original questoon was about still going?

Yes. Although it cost £25 at the MoT in March this year to replace a sheared corroded bolt which secures the rear antiroll bar. And a new coil pack in Aug 2017. Now approaching 140,000 miles - still has original cam and poly-v belts and exhaust. Only bulbs needing replacement have been rear stop/side and number plate. Ford really got this one right (plus, of course, my careful maintenance regime :-).

Ford really got this one right (plus, of course, my careful maintenance regime :-).

Yes, they did.

All makers do this at some point, they all at some point design a cracker, but all too often then rest on the laurels and the reputation that the good designs bring, we've seen all makes do this no maker is immune, in some cases they then go on to fit unreliable inadequately tested engines or gearboxes destroying the rep the years of good service cars like yours have given them, its very odd.

as for the bracketed bit, that shows just how good the design was that it's still going :-)

slipped another oil change into the Forester earlier in the week, and yesterday went to town on topping up the rustproofing on my 4x4 beasty...which itself had its twice a year oil change about 6 weeks ago...just for you that JohnF, knew you'd approve...;)

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Engineer Andy

Normally, a car is only worth changing if one or more of the following apply:

• Structurally it is in bad shape and seriously expensive major repairs are necessary;
  • The engine needs replacing or a LOT of major (expensive) work;
  • A component that has to be in full working order needs replacing and cannot be sourced (including non-OEM/pattern parts to the same) any more, and to have it manufactured from scratch or the car modified to take another would be very expensive or physically impossible.
Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Sofa Spud

At that price I'd get the car repaired. Then you'd get at least another year out of it. It would also be worth a bit more if you sell it or trade it in.

• Structurally it is in bad shape and seriously expensive major repairs are necessary;
  • A component that has to be in full working order needs replacing and cannot be sourced (including non-OEM/pattern parts to the same) any more, and to have it manufactured from scratch or the car modified to take another would be very expensive or physically impossible.

The tighter emission standards for the MOT test introduced recently are going to send a lot more cars to an early grave.

The tighter emission standards for the MOT test introduced recently are going to send a lot more cars to an early grave.

Why? They aren't applied retrospectively, but like VED bands, only to the newest cars at the time. If a car is well cared for over its life and reasonably well designed, then it should pass the emissions test each year, until it either falls it bits or parts aren't available any more. My 13yo car had essentially the same (pass) emissions result on this years MOT than it did every year before.

It's a different kettle of fish for LEZs stopping vehicles in older Euro emissions bands from driving into certain larger towns and cities. Quite ironic as some are actually quite clean, relative to certain newer cars, and are mainly villified because they have higher CO2 emissions.

I was told the new emission standards do apply retrospectively inasmuch as all cars now have to be within the manufacturer's original specified emission limits.

I was told the new emission standards do apply retrospectively inasmuch as all cars now have to be within the manufacturer's original specified emission limits.

That's really not the same as older cars meeting the more stringent, lower emissions standards of newer ones, which, to me, is what you appeared to be implying. And I would doubt (though not 100% sure) that cars would be restricted to meet what the limits were by the manufacturers when first produced, as all that would do is make it unfair for car owners who had cars that more than met the emissions regs (Euro-4 etc) by law at the time.

Some makes have the foresight to make sure their cars easily meet the limits and well in good time, unlike some that recently had to stop sales for months in order to make sure they'd produced enough new cars that met the new emissions levels. The former would be punished because their cars would have to meet higher standards than others sold at the same time. This may be true (I hope not), but it doesn't make it right or fair.

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - galileo

Exactly, so the original standards for a 2010 car are what it is to be tested to, not the standards for a 2019 model. So not retrospective.

Emissions limits have not been retrospectively applied to older/classic/vintage cars, have they?

Ford Focus - When is it not worth repairing? - Big John

Exactly, so the original standards for a 2010 car are what it is to be tested to, not the standards for a 2019 model. So not retrospective.

Emissions limits have not been retrospectively applied to older/classic/vintage cars, have they?

The problem is until now some later diesels were tested to the same standards as diesels some 20 years older. The new test introduced last year is a lot more stringent especially for post 2008 cars - most cars will have to achieve the original manufacturer plate value.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers/diesel-vehicle-emission-limits

Aren't those changes more to do with just applying the MOT as it essentially should've been, e.g. checking to see if the DPF has been removed, and that vehicles perform as they designed to the standards at the time they were built? The emissions standards for such cars haven't changed, only how rigorously they are checked, it appears, perhaps in the light of Dieselgate.