What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - Mark B1

Somehow I've managed to discover an Australian motoring 'expert', John Cadogan, on youtube, who has quite a lot - sometimes Aussie not quite politically correct - of opinions, of cars and the brands.

Recently, as part of my midlife crisis, in considering a soft top, I looked at Mustang (not bought yet, but will probably be Audi A5), his regarss and detailing crash testing, makes potentially worrying reading, should you own one and ever have a nasty bump in it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU9ixQVwCRE

His reviews are as I say, sometimes a little crude, to say the least.

Mark

Edited by Mark B1 on 04/02/2017 at 14:59

Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - RobJP

Not seen that one, but here's another review of it.

www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motoring-issues/201.../

2 stars on NCAP. A particular note that the airbag 'did not prevent the driver's head from contacting the steering wheel'.

Not something that'd be on a shortlist of mine.

Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - skidpan

Pretty sure I read that cars ordered from May onwards will be OK.

Apparantly Ford did not fit all the US safety kit since they did not expect the car to be NCAP tested.

Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - RT

Pretty sure I read that cars ordered from May onwards will be OK.

Apparantly Ford did not fit all the US safety kit since they did not expect the car to be NCAP tested.

The US safety kit is designed to cope with a different standard of test, different things tested - not better or worse than NCAP/ANCAP, just different.

Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - -Kat-

Re that particular YouTube channel, I have also recently discovered it and he's got lots of different videos and lots of different car related topics well worth a watch in my opinion. good honest stuff

Edited by -Kat- on 04/02/2017 at 22:22

Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - drd63

Complete tw**. Does make you look into car safety and realise that much of the scoring is based on what passive safety is available even though most buyers never spec it. Mustang was only tested because it's been selling so well. I doubt Ford will see many cancelled orders but they should have handled the comms post results better.

Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - SLO76
It'll hurt used values but not as badly as it would had it been a family car. The single blokes in their 40's & 50's who typically buy them won't be too put off.

I remember the a*** falling out the market for Rover 100's when they were first tested by ncap, same happened to Fiat Croma, Nissan Maxima and Renault 25 after a catastrophic group crash test in What Car i believe in 1990. The first Chystler Voyager to come to the UK was ripped to shreds by ncap too which terminally damaged used values.
Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - S40 Man

I watched you tube video for this and it didn't look like a total horror story to me. Not like the Rover 100 or Chrysler mentioned previously.

It would have got marks for having isofix but how many will be driven with babies in?

Similarly automatic braking=more points, this but could make any crash less likely but won't affect you the structure of the car behaves. That is my concern at least.

Ford Mustang - Mustang - Not quite as safe as it could be - gordonbennet

Dear Lord, 5 minutes of Mr Wombat was more than enough and 5 mins if my life i can't get back, shan't be watching any more of him.

Shock horror Ford didn't fit lane assist or automatic emergency braking, well that's two plus points in the cars favour far as i'm concerned, why on earth would anyone buy a car like a Mustang unless they had some confidence in their abilities to drive the thing, if someone want a nanny knows best shopping trolley come family transport cloned eurobox there are plenty to choose from, Mustang was never intended to compete with such and i hope it never is.

Thankfully cars like this still exist and if i wouldn't look like an even bigger old fool than i already do i'd gladly have another (we test drove one around 2006), my last one a 5.7 V8 of 71 vintage didn't even have servo assitance on its all round drum brakes so you drive within what the vehicle and yourself are capable of, ie RWD lots of poke (and live rear axle on the one we tested) don't boot it in the wet on a bend, it's not exactly rocket sceince is it.

Long live choice and individuality, if people like Mr Wombat don't approve then it's another vote in Mustang's favour.