What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - silverback

Just suffered a broken coil spring on a regularly Ford serviced 59 reg Fiesta with low mileage (about 25000) - Is this a common fault with these models? I know it was fairly common with the previous model (and the Fusion version) but I presumed it has been resolved as there don't seem many reports regarding this on the 2008 onwards version. Is there an upgrade available or have I just been unlucky? The break is on the last turn at the bottom which seems to be the week spot on the previous version. I believe there was a zinc sacrificial plate made by Ford for the previous version - is the same available for my version?

I Believe it failed when parked.

In over 45 years of motoring I have never had a spring fail before, althoug the previous vehicles had properly pigtailed springs to the best of my knowledge.

Edited by silverback on 01/07/2016 at 02:46

Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - Falkirk Bairn

HJ has a theory on this problem - "sleeping policemen" road humps being taken too quickly & the lack of a pigtail on the finished spring can cause instant tyre disintegration - so better finding out in the carpark rather than on the road.

A few years back my son's X5 had a spring go just a week before the 3 year warranty was about to expire.

A 45 year old garage door spring went 2 months back - replaced 2 @ £30 each as the other option was a new door starting @ £500 - the failed spring gave in on the last turn.

Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

And low-profile tyres as well... Deep tyres give more cushioning over rough road surfaces and ruts and speed humps. The 'modern' craze for low-profile tyres is, in my opinion, crazy. Reducing the profile depth of tyres takes away part of the vehicles suspension, gives a rock-hard uncomfortable ride, often results in damaged wheel rims, sends shocks through the car to give the driver a bad back and cause premature failure of parts - and premature broken springs. Bring back 70-profile tyres, says I.

Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - Cyd

Broken road springs are an increasingly common problem across all makes. just ask any MoT tester!

Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - galileo

Broken road springs are an increasingly common problem across all makes. just ask any MoT tester!

Discussing the appalling state of local roads with my trusted indy he remarked that potholes, badly re-instated utility trenches and drivers who take humps too fast ensure he has a steady trade in replacing broken springs, a pile in his skip awaiting the scrap man's visit.

Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - FP

You will need to ensure any replacement of road springs is done in pairs, (i.e. both front springs, or both rear springs).

It certainly is a long time since I experienced spring failure.

Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - bathtub tom

You will need to ensure any replacement of road springs is done in pairs, (i.e. both front springs, or both rear springs).

I'll dispute that's necessary. Look at any modern FWD car, the engine's over the RH side, as is the driver (most journeys are done solo), biasing weight to that side.

At one time Fiat Pandas had a spacer fitted as standard to the front RH spring on RHD models.

Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - Galaxy

There's certainly no need to replace both front springs, only the broken one needs to be changed.

The only comment I would make is that when the offside front spring broke on my Mondeo, the nearside one broke 2 or 3 years later! In retrospect, I wished I'd had them both changed at the same time, hence requiring only one visit to the garage instead of two.

As it happens, I just had the broken one changed, originally, on the advice of my garage. The car drove fine afterwards; it didn't lean or pull to one side, as you might possibly imagine it might. Car was fine until the other spring broke a few years later.

Ford Fiesta 2008 Model - Broken Coil Spring - silverback

Thank all. I had both replaced anyway. The bottom of both seemed to be the same condition after removal (apart from the break) - the lacquer was worn off the bottom and some rust on the ends and bubbling of lacquer. The broken one had obviously been failing and partly cracked for some time as part of the break surface was corroded slighly (about 25% of the area) and the rest was clean. Maybe they should be zinc plated instead of lacquered., but I'm not sure rust was the culprit just under engineering.

Since when were springs lacquered anyway? - the ones on older cars seemer to be just a metal finish and thicker. At least the bodies dont rust as much as the wings on my old Mk 3 Cortina did many years ago. I was cleaning my mother in law's windows one day must be well over 30 years ago and one of her neighbours offered me a replacement fibre glass wing for it. She only had one though so the other just stayed rusty with taped over holes in it!