From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - oldroverboy.

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/smart-motorways-.../

Must admit, not comfortable with them at all, To assist with safety, perhaps limit max speed to 50mph.

From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - Galaxy

Think they're a very bad and dangerous idea. I would absolutely hate to break down on one, or, even worse, be involved in an accident.

It just saves money building the extra roads we so obviously need.

From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - RT

On busy motorways, it can be almost impossible to get over from the outside lane to the hard shoulder if something fails, because of the sheer volume of traffic - quiet motorways aren't a problem.

So, I'd rather have a busy motorway managed, even if no hard sholuder, rather than a busy unmanaged motorway.

From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - gordonbennet

Several times on the West mid section of M6 i've come across broken down cars in live n/s lane, even at 50mph it's surprising how quickly you come up to these things, elevated section especially if you break down where you going to run to?

From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - Avant

Point taken, RT, but in some - perhaps most - cases it is possible to get ovwer to the hard shoulder.....unless there isn't one.

Another typical example of government agencies just carrying on regardless on the say-so of men in suits looking at statistics, ignoring the very real risk to people whose vehicles break down. It's good that the press are on to this, although it may still make no difference.

Smart motorways? I don't think so.

From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - oldroverboy.

hit by spammers.. so moved down.

From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - RT

Point taken, RT, but in some - perhaps most - cases it is possible to get ovwer to the hard shoulder.....unless there isn't one.

Another typical example of government agencies just carrying on regardless on the say-so of men in suits looking at statistics, ignoring the very real risk to people whose vehicles break down. It's good that the press are on to this, although it may still make no difference.

Smart motorways? I don't think so.

Having had a cambelt failure, taking out all power including the steering assistance, at 70mph in lane 3 of the M42 (pre-managed systems) I experienced just how difficult it was to get across to the hard shoulder which meant bullying my way into gaps with inches to spare and I don't think a "lesser" driver would have managed it.

In lighter traffic, it's more likely to be done successfully, but in those conditions the hard-shoulder running isn't likely to be in use anyway.

Part-time smart motorways, to cope with twice daily peaks, are fine in my book - but long distance smart motorways just can't be monitored to the same degree - so in my case the M42 round brum is fine but not the M6 from Rugby to Preston.

From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - Gibbo_Wirral

The article claims

Not only that, but if a crash did occur and carriageways became jammed, with no hard shoulder to reach the scene, valuable time would be wasted getting there.

Easy. The emergency vehicles go to the next junction and drive the "wrong" way down the motorway to the blockage.

So, if there's a crash northbound after J12, they go to J13 and drive south along the empty Northbound carriageway.

From The Telegraph - Not so smart motorways - Smileyman

M25 in Kent between M26 and services, M25 in Hertfordshire approx between A10 after tunnel towards A1(M) ... areas patrolled by the stealth speed cameras - stealth because they are not painted yellow. There are stopping areas, but as alerady stated how likely is one going to conveniently find such an area when broken down, let alone cross 3 up to live lanes to get there. Fatal accident waiting to happen.