What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - Trilogy

Just phoned up about this car. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-1-8-TDCi-Ghia-Estate...I

When I spoke to them about it I found out the so called new cambelt was fitted at 99,000 milles and the new clutch & flywheel at about 119,000 miles. What planet are these people on? No wonder I never buy a used car from a used car dealer. I only phoned because it is not far from me.

Just tried to edit the above post but been unable to do so. If by including the link, this post is considered as naming and shaming I'd be grateful if a moderator could edit or delete the post. Thank you.

New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - RobJP

I know some people don't like clicking on links, so I'll surmise ...

The car for sale is being advertised as having "New clutch, flywheel and cambelt".

As Trilogy says, the cambelt was changed at 99,000 miles, and the clutch/flywheel at 119,000 miles.

The current mileage ... 152,000 miles.

New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - Avant

I don't think there's anything that goes against the naming-and-shaming guidelines. I'm sure there are many such adverts around: all they mean by 'new' is that the items aren't the originals. Misleading maybe, but not actually a lie.

Hopefully the usual laws of bangernomics apply: if you can get it for £1,000 and the said parts last as long as the originals did, you'll have done all right.

Avant, I know they've already turned down an offer of £1,000. Tailgate is also going rusty, only really happens with the Ghia version. Rear wheel arches starting to bubble too, so I won't be pursuing that one.

A Legacy estate is also on the short list. Berlingo Multispace rejected.

New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - pd

Well, OK, it is stretching the "new" somewhat but it has at least had them and they appear to have been upfront and honest in telling you the details when you asked.

It is a £1000 car and, really, if you want a new clutch, flywheel and camelt you probably need to move out of the "shed" price bracket.

I'm not sure how this tallies with "never buy a car from a dealer" when the dealer seems to have been honest with you when you called them.

Edited by pd on 18/03/2016 at 08:59

New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - Galaxy

I happen to know of a car for sale, because it used to belong to one of my relatives, which is described as having "Recent clutch, cambelt and service"

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160220122...p

This is probably a more accurate description, rather than describing these things as "New"

However, in the case the OP is describing, I'm honestly not really convinced the dealer is doing anything wrong. When the OP contacted the dealer he was forthcoming with accurate details concerning the replacement of these items, and I think the whole point is that the items are not original, i.e. they've been replaced.

I'm sure some dealers and sellers would be a lot less honest than this one has been with their descriptions.

To my mind 'new' implies recently fitted. Trading Standards can now decide on this one.

New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - joegrundy

Or, semantically, 'new' could mean 'replacement of the original'.

To my mind 'new' implies recently fitted. Trading Standards can now decide on this one.

I'm sure there are some TS guys having a good laugh over that one over their coffee this morning.

You ask dealer some questions about a car's history - dealer gives consise honest answers.

OK, so they could have used "replaced" instead of "new" but they've hardly tried to con anyone.

Well, OK, it is stretching the "new" somewhat but it has at least had them and they appear to have been upfront and honest in telling you the details when you asked.

It is a £1000 car and, really, if you want a new clutch, flywheel and camelt you probably need to move out of the "shed" price bracket.

I'm not sure how this tallies with "never buy a car from a dealer" when the dealer seems to have been honest with you when you called them.

I wonder if he would have told me if I hadn't asked. I think many people would take 'new' at face value. It has had a new MOT in the last 12 months. Next people will be saying it would be accepptable for the vendor to say it was 'new' even if it was 9 months ago. The cambelt is now 53,000 miles old. How that can be construed as 'new' is beyond me.

I wonder if he would have told me if I hadn't asked. I think many people would take 'new' at face value. It has had a new MOT in the last 12 months. Next people will be saying it would be accepptable for the vendor to say it was 'new' even if it was 9 months ago. The cambelt is now 53,000 miles old. How that can be construed as 'new' is beyond me.

I think you're taking some text on a £1k banger way out of proportion. I don't disagree with you but it is an advert - I doubt 85% of cats actually prefer Whiskers or if you use a certain brand of shower gel you will go running down the road to work leaping in the air or whatever happens on ads.

They should have put "replaced" or "recent" but, presumably, when they were fitted they were "new" so in the past it has had a "new" clutch. Just not last week!

I've got to be prefectly honest, OP, that when I read your original post I couldn't understand what was wrong with the advert!

I would never believe these items had been newly fitted prior to sale, well, not on a £1000 car, anyway. It's just the sort of everyday language that car dealers use.

If the advert said cambelt fiited at 99,000 miles, clutch fitted at 119,000 miles, well, it would make it a bit of a mouthful, wouldn't it!

I still stand by what I've previously said, in that the main point is these items are not original, i.e. they have been replaced.

New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - gordonbennet

Maybe a certain amount of poetic licence with the advert, they all do that to some extent.

I think the gist of the ad is trying to convey that this particular car has seen care reasonable servicing throughout its life and not the usual neglected rubbish, few people would expect up to £1000 worth of work like this to have been very recently completed in order to sell the car for the cost of that work alone.

Only a berk like me would spend about £3k on refurb and overhaul work over the last 2 or 3 years on a Benz worth at best £5k which is more than likely going to be sold this spring..:-)

If the advert said cambelt fiited at 99,000 miles, clutch fitted at 119,000 miles, well, it would make it a bit of a mouthful, wouldn't it!

And no one would read it. People scan through adverts and rarely actually read more than about 4 words so somehow you have to get something to stand out in a very small space.

I've advertised caras with phrases like "**CAMBELT REPLACED AT 98K MILES**" in the main line of description many times and every call you get says "do you know if the cambelt has been replaced?".

Jusi spoke to a friend who is general manager of a main dealer. He said to me something is either new or it isn't. He thought the description was unacceptable.

Jusi spoke to a friend who is general manager of a main dealer. He said to me something is either new or it isn't. He thought the description was unacceptable.

Which main dealer is this retailing £1k cars?

Different world........

Which main dealer is this retailing £1k cars?

Different world........

Yes, exactly.

You're comparing chalk and cheese!

He has been in the trade for over 30 years at different levels of the motor trade. If you saw a car advertised as having a new MOT and then found on viewing it had just 6 months you wouldn't be happy.

I can imagine somone very trusting buying this car and then getting home and finding they haven't been told the truth about it.

No chalk and cheese here, just a case of right and wrong. Even a used car trader (cars for sale as little as £850) I spoke to this week thought the advert was unacceptable.

Replaced would have been accurate and honest. No surprise the car in the ad is now reduced in price and remains unsold. I have now bought an honestly described, superb condition, 2003 Focus estate, under 100,000 miles, fsh, all receipts/MOT certificates since 2008, everything works including the aircon, cambelt replaced only 14,000 miles ago, two recent new tyres and full MOT for just £1175. Great to find a seller not trying to mislead.

New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - brum

Ad designed to fool the average punter who knows little about cars except that they are expensive to repair. Most would never query the description the way the op did (to his credit), they would accept the wording at face value. The ad is intentionaly misleading to inflate its perceived value.

Edited by brum on 26/03/2016 at 11:45

New clutch, flywheel and cambelt - alan1302

Ad designed to fool the average punter who knows little about cars except that they are expensive to repair. Most would never query the description the way the op did (to his credit), they would accept the wording at face value. The ad is intentionaly misleading to inflate its perceived value.

Agreed - surprised so may people find it an acceptable advert