What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Mk4 1999 - Wing mounting and MOT - rich1608

Hi

I need to replace the OSF wing on my Fiesta which has rotten through at the bottom. The wing is fitted mainly with spot welds, a few screws and bent over tabs. If I fit the replacement using only screws and /or pop rivets, will the car pass its MOT or do I need to re-do the spot welds? Thanks.

Ford Fiesta Mk4 1999 - Wing mounting and MOT - RobJP

Yes, you can. However you MUST ensure that it is securely fixed, unlikely to come loose (note that normal screws might not suffice, most bolts on wings are into captive nuts as less likely to come undone), and that no screws, etc. are protruding or are likely to create a hazard to anyone that might come into contact with the bodywork.

However, I'd suggest asking a local independent bodyshop what they'd charge for taking off the old wing and putting a new one on properly, and then judge whether it's worth all your time and effort in doing it yourself

Ford Fiesta Mk4 1999 - Wing mounting and MOT - rich1608

Thanks. The only external fixing is at the bottom where the wing meets the sill and I'm thinking that pop rivets in place of the spot welds should be OK both here and under the bonnet. There are plenty of external pop rivets on the Land Rover Defender so under the sill should be OK.