What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Can you answer this please? - graham123
My old 1.6 Zetec SE (100bph) Ford Focus 53 (2003) did 2500rpm at 60mph. My current 62 (2012) Ford Focus 1.6 (105bph) ti-vct engine does 2750rpm at 60mph.

Is that also why there is not much power at 1500rpm? Why the difference given they are both 1.6 petrol engines?

What rpm then would maximum speed in my newer Focus be in 5th gear. About 6500rpm? Thanks!
Can you answer this please? - bathtub tom

What do you tell a woman with two black eyes?

I've already told you twice already! Sorry Avant, I'll report this so you can remove it.

Can you answer this please? - FP

The third near-identical posting.

Edited by FP on 18/12/2015 at 23:44

Can you answer this please? - gordonbennet

I'll be avoiding in the future, annoyed now that i got sucked in on the previous thread.

Can you answer this please? - John F
Is that also why there is not much power at 1500rpm?

The engine power curve graph (power against revs) is unaffected by gearing. The lower the gearing (21.8mph per 1000rpm rather than 24mph per 1000rpm), the faster the car will accelerate.

Why the difference given they are both 1.6 petrol engines?

Possibly because the ti-vct(whatever all that stands for) top gear is geared for maximum speed rather than cruising.

e.g.my old limo A6 top gear was a cruising ratio of 32mph per 1000rev, but after about 4200rev it hadn't the power to go much faster. For top speed, the 4th gear at 24mph per 1000rev redlined at around 6250revs/150mph.

Sports saloons are usually geared for brisk acceleration, not economy. E.g my current sports A8 SWB has the same g/box but lower final drive than its limo LWB cousin -only around 30mph per 1000rev in top gear- terrible economy but electrifying performance. Horses for courses!

What rpm then would maximum speed in my newer Focus be in 5th gear. About 6500rpm? Thanks!

Much less, unless downhill with following wind, if your figures are correct. Divide its maximum speed by 0.0218

(2750rpm at 60mph=21.8mph/1000rev)

Hope this is helpful - and what's all this stuff about black eyes?

So one of us thinks Jonathap is a genuine poster and worth spending time on?

Edited by FP on 19/12/2015 at 11:48

Can you answer this please? - galileo

It's just another instance of JohnF's independent mode of thinking. The rest of us have realised the OP's posts are wind-ups.

Perhaps the OP uses the internet rather than writing letters because he isn't allowed sharp things like pens?

Can you answer this please? - John F

It's just another instance of JohnF's independent mode of thinking. The rest of us have realised the OP's posts are wind-ups.

Heaven forfend that my thinking should be anything but independent. Just trying to help - many folk have no idea how and why gear ratios are arrived at.

Wind-up or not, it was a far more interesting question than HJ's banal choice of the cost of replacing a pollen filter in yesterday's DT - I wouldn't have given it the time of day.

"Just trying to help - many folk have no idea how and why gear ratios are arrived at."

John, you're being too nice. This poster is either a troll or something else. I suggest you don't waste your time on him.

Can you answer this please? - Wackyracer

Wind-up or not, it was a far more interesting question than HJ's banal choice of the cost of replacing a pollen filter in yesterday's DT - I wouldn't have given it the time of day.

I've read that as "the cost of paying for the pollen filter that was charged for but, never fitted".