What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Front discs and pads - argybargy

Hi,

In the last year or so I've done front discs and pads on a Mk 1 Focus, Mk2 Focus and a 10 plate Ford Ka, and now my son has asked me to replace the front discs and pads on his Ford Fiesta 1.4, Titanium, 59 plate. I found the other jobs fairly straightforward but don't have a manual for the Fiesta, and was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any potential issues with this particular job.

I'd also be grateful for an opinion on the necessity or otherwise of using a torque wrench to tighten bolts when reassembling brake mechanisms, rather than just giving them a "good welly". Views on this appear to differ. :0)

Cheers

Cheers.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Front discs and pads - Chris M

"Views on this appear to differ." - Stand back and watch the worms escape from the can!

I sit in the "good welly" camp. Although I do possess a torque wrench, it's only used for things like head bolts where an even torque is required.

I will add that "good welly" doesn't mean over tighten so much that it's impossible to remove next time.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Front discs and pads - Collos25

Before you start the work check to see if the bolts holding the caliper are not imbus or star if so you may have to buy the right size and type of sockets from wherever.They could be straight forward bolts in which case its a doddle of a job.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Front discs and pads - bathtub tom

>>check to see if the bolts holding the caliper are not imbus

I had to google that, I never knew Allen fixings were called Inbus.

From Wiki: it is known by the name Inbus (often misspelled *Imbus)

Edited by Collos25 on 09/03/2013 at 21:42

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Front discs and pads - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Staightforward job. 13mm socket to remove the caliper screws. Replacing them, well, you'll be lucky if you can get a torque-wrench in there. I regret to say that I have to use a short bar and 'good welly'. The retaining spring is a pain to replace. I use an adjustable pipe-wrench to pull it into place. It's worth taking out the slide-pins and cleaning them. The ends are covered with a rubber cover, so take the cover off then insert a hexagon wrench (Allen key) to unscrew the pins. I seem to remember that it's a 7mm hex key that you need, and there's not many sets which have a 7mm size in there.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Front discs and pads - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Er-- That's the discs up to 2008! They may be a different design on the 2009 onward.. And there's me thinking I'm helping....

If they are PAS sourced like most of Fords seem to be these days then it will be Inbus for the calipers.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium, 59 plate - Front discs and pads - argybargy

Thanks all for your replies. I may still purchase a Haynes, just in case and for future reference, but like the other Fords I've worked on recently it does sound pretty straightforward.

I'll be back if the job throws up any problems. :0)