Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211 - Which Merc next? - doublem

Opinions from the forum if i may.

I like, and therefore drive Mercedes. Currently have a C220 cdi sport coming up to 4 years old and looking to change it.

On the radar is:

> Another C Class - c250?

> An E Class (saloon or coupe) - quite like the E350 on that model!

Welcome the Forums view/advice on either of the above models, or should i switch over to a new brand (Lexus IS 2013?)

Thanks & regards

Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211 - Which Merc next? - gordonbennet

Haven't got the foggiest idea what engines or gearbox options will be in the new Lexus, what are you considering? I admire Lexus, but they have been dogged from the very beginning by not offering a decent 3+ litre Diesel, pity because Toyota make some very powerful and durable Diesels which would have been ideal in Lexus of varying body styles.

I presume the new IS will have some form of Hybrid, hopefully a refined performance version like GS, i'd certainly check one out thoroughly if this was my market, likely to be more durable just as economical overall and less troublesome than the rather fragile modern Diesel with all its emissions carp.

MB?, well you must be pleased with your current model to consider another, so long as your dealer is up to the task you could do worse than rinse and repeat.

Note if you go MB again you're considering another 4 pot C class, or a 6 pot E class.

What about the bigger engine in the smaller car combo, that would be my choice, indeed if you go for the E class budget but in C body you could have a serious engine, much pleasure that would bring.

Obvious other contender would be a 5 series BMW in this market.

Haven't got the foggiest idea what engines or gearbox options will be in the new Lexus, what are you considering? I admire Lexus, but they have been dogged from the very beginning by not offering a decent 3+ litre Diesel, pity because Toyota make some very powerful and durable Diesels which would have been ideal in Lexus of varying body styles.

I presume the new IS will have some form of Hybrid, hopefully a refined performance version like GS, i'd certainly check one out thoroughly if this was my market, likely to be more durable just as economical overall and less troublesome than the rather fragile modern Diesel with all its emissions carp.

MB?, well you must be pleased with your current model to consider another, so long as your dealer is up to the task you could do worse than rinse and repeat.

Note if you go MB again you're considering another 4 pot C class, or a 6 pot E class.

What about the bigger engine in the smaller car combo, that would be my choice, indeed if you go for the E class budget but in C body you could have a serious engine, much pleasure that would bring.

Obvious other contender would be a 5 series BMW in this market.

The 2013 Lexus IS will have a hybrid version (which is the model I would consider, rather than the less economical petrol) and under "F Sport" guise should be a competent car, backed up by dealers with a very good rating. The negative may well be a smaller boot to accomodate the batteries but will wait and see as full details yet to be released.

I agree with your view on Toyota having driven their cars in my younger days and still yearn after that realiability and simplicity which many manufacturers struggle to deliver.

Very good point on the small car/big engine option - may take a look at a 6 pot c class and see how that drives first before making the call

Thanks - all good food for thought

Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211 - Which Merc next? - Collos25

You like Mercedes why not stop with what you like, you will be very disappointed with a Lexus compared to a new E class.

Collos25 - very fair point, but curiosity gets the better of me and "grass always greener" mentality kicks in. Also, it's nice to change marques and try a different approach. I think I will pitch a Lexus IS hybrid against a C350cdi and see which feels better!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211 - Which Merc next? - Avant

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what your budget is or what size of car you're looking at. If you're looking at medium-sized car / big engine, then consider the BMW 3-series and Audi A4/A5. BMWs are best for those who like to drive fast (but safely) and explore the handling potential of their car; Audis suit those whose priority is relaxed cruising. Mercedes are somewhere between the two.

Try all three Germans as well as the Lexus and see what suits you.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211 - Which Merc next? - gordonbennet

A strange race the British, the addition of Audi by Avant concludes the list for alternative ideas for the OP.

In other countries extremely competent cars would be on the considered list, Hyundai's Genesis flagship models for example, superb cars that would compare favouribly with the few marque's mentioned here.

Wouldn't get a look in here because image by badge count for more than quality or capability, hence the continued sales of image high unreliable luxury cars made here too.

Mazda with their Xedos range were fine cars not so long ago, Toyota Camry's would stand up to any scrutiny except image.

Are we so afraid to buy what the Jones' wouldn't consider, i wonder why this is?

Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211 - Which Merc next? - Avant

I agree with your thoughts, GB, but I couldn't think offhand of any obvious rival to a Mercedes C350, apart from Lexus and Infiniti, made by a non-prestige manufacturer. Infinitis seem expensive with no obvious USP.

A friend in Cape Town had a Hyundai Sonata V6, following two troublesome Mercs, for about 10 years: very smooth and quiet and never gave a moment's trouble. It was difficult to replace and he settled for a Prius. I drove a Renault Safrane for four years in the 1990s with similar lack of trouble - but I wouldn't have bought it with my own money as it dropped in value like a stone.

I agree completely gordonbennet, perhaps that's what was nagging me and triggered the original post?

I mentioned the possibility of buying a Honda or Toyota to a friend a few weeks ago and he was shocked, his exact words were "you'll be going backwards" - brand image is very powerful and persuasive.....

The fact is that in the current snow, it is the 13 year old FWD Honda that gets me around, whilst the RWD Mercedes can't seem to more than a few yards !

Thanks for all the replies - I will reconsider my options and take a look at alternatives to the perceived premium marques as well.

Best regards

Mercedes-Benz E-Class W211 - Which Merc next? - Trilogy

Brand image? I knew a gentleman who went from a Rolls-Royce, to a Granada Ghia, to a Camry. He was happy with all of them.

If a car does what I want it to do I'll buy it, hence I had a Skoda and Merc at the same time. Now I have a Ford and a Merc. The Ford isn't as well made as the Skoda, but it is fun to drive.