What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Time to treat myself - Dave_TD
Well, I must be getting older, because I now have fully comprehensive insurance, a clean licence and a full (protected) NCD. And I've just turned 30, which the motor insurers seem to like.
So it's time to get rid of the family runaround and get a proper car! Currently we have a P-plate Peugeot 405 TD Style estate, ex-minicab, mega mileage, mega basic spec, mega rattly, worth £1000 in part-ex. SWMBO drives it most days, me at weekends and on holiday. Annual mileage around 9,000.

MY requirements are:
Aircon
ABS
Quiet, smooth petrol engine!
Fair bit of poke, at least 120bhp, preferably more
Some toys to keep me happy, ie elec windows, cruise control would be nice
5 doors
Luxury rather than outright sportiness
Group 14 insurance or less
Cheap to service
Reliable
Not too thirsty, V6 would be nice but too expensive to run at the mo

HER requirements are:
Decent size boot for all the clutter that goes with kids of 4 and 2
Manual, not auto gearbox
Remote central locking
No more length than the 405, that's difficult enough to park!

We're looking at R,S and T reg cars at places like the GTC or similar, up to about £4k (will be on finance). Likely candidates include Honda Accord, Toyota Avensis, Nissan Primera, Ford Mondeo. SWMBO fell in love with an 85k mile 98S Mondeo Ghia X 2.0 16v manual with leather, air and cruise for £3899 screen price last weekend, but now it's been sold. Should we look for another Ghia or Ghia X? Any other recommendations please?
Time to treat myself - marcusroberts
Dave
Would go with the Toyota. Shouldn't have any reliability problems there, plus servicing seems to be good. You could probably squeeze an even better deal out of your local Toyota garage before the 03 plates in Feb.
Whilst not the trendiest of cars, you may also want to add the Toyota Camry 2.2 (avoid the V6 coz it guzzles gas). You may get a younger model for the same price, since they suffer catastrophic depreciation in the first few years. I had a Camry V6 (4yrs old) with all the bits, and picked it up from a Toyota dealer for next to nothing since they couldn't sell it.
Of course, you may experience a similar problem trying to sell it when you move on - however, I didn't and sold mine in 2 days after advertising on A***trader website.
I don't work for Toyota, but wife owns a RAV4.
Time to treat myself - marcusroberts
Wife and I have also had between us: (2) Corollas, (2) Carinas (predecessor to Avensis) and for a period of madness, a Land Cruiser Amazon 4.2TD - now you're talking gas guzzling. Mostly S/H bought from the same Toyota dealer.
Time to treat myself - Simon R
How about a Saab 900 or Audi 80. Both tough with reasonable non franchise spares and servicing.

Find the right one with fsh and toys and you'll have something that should last yet, will be a pleasure to use.
Time to treat myself - Martin Wall
I like Toyota's for the build quality/reliability but do yourself a favour and don't buy an Avensis - I'm sure it'll be reliable but it's horrible to drive and more cramped than the Carina E that it replaced.

I think a Mondeo or Accord sounds a better bet although as per an earlier reply it might be worth looking at a Camry if you fancy a Toyota. Or what about a big Saab?
Time to treat myself - Martin Wall
For Toyota's read Toyotas (I hate it when other people do this - e.g. local greengrocer advertises apple's and banana's - aargh!!!

Pedantically,

Martin :-)
Time to treat myself - Andrew-T
Well said(typed) Martin. Now let's get after all the others ..
Thanks all, suggestions taken on board. I didn't realise the Saab was only group 12 insurance, I'd always assumed them to be higher than that. We'd already discounted Audi A4s (no apostrophe Martin, ha) for not having a hatchback, so unfortunately the Camry goes the same way, nice drive though it is. Also I've not driven an Avensis, but I did drive a Carina E in my early cabbing days (and, memorably, an E-reg Carina II, for one frightening weekend!) so I'll bear in mind the lack of interior space. After running a Peugeot 405, I think it will be noticeable.
So it's a choice between the Mondeo, Primera, Accord or Saab 900...
Requirements were:
Aircon
ABS
Quiet, smooth petrol engine!
Fair bit of poke, at least 120bhp, preferably more
Some toys to keep me happy, ie elec windows, cruise control would be nice
5 doors
Luxury rather than outright sportiness
Group 14 insurance or less
Cheap to service
Reliable
Not too thirsty
Decent size boot for all the clutter that goes with kids of 4 and 2
Manual, not auto gearbox
Remote central locking
No more length than the 405, that's difficult enough to park

And yesterday we landed up visiting the GTC, now £3799 later we have a 99T Mondeo 2.0 Ghia 5dr! Picking it up next Saturday. (Could get it earlier, but Saturday is more convenient.)
Fulfils all the requirements apart from cruise control, but hey.
Time to treat myself - volvoman
DTD - what was the GTC customer experience like ?
Volvoman,

It was pretty much exactly what we expected, to be honest. Efficient, if rather complicated. It goes like this:

Park outside (very busy at weekends, but plenty of dedicated carparks within 500yds, they have an agreement with several nearby office blocks for weekend customer parking)

Find the particular car we looked at on the website
Get keys from nearby kiosk, play with car

Find salesman, get taken for (5 minute) test drive
Get ticket for part-ex valuation
Bring our car onto premises

Find part-ex valuer to suck teeth and listen to engine
Get valuation

Find salesman, sit down to sort out invoice
Add £51 sales fee
Add mechanical warranty (we declined, it would have been £449 for two years cover)
Add £199 GAP insurance (pays the difference between insurance payout and outstanding finance in the event of a write-off)
Subtract minimum £200 deposit (cash or debit card only)
Subtract part-ex allowance

Queue to see finance man
Apply for, and (much to our amazement) get accepted for finance

Find salesman to finalise paperwork
Book appointment to collect car

Go home, pinching self to confirm reality

Phone GTC 24hrs before appointment to confirm car is ready

Turn up with all relevant docs, drive away in new car!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's a big place, I should think we must have covered over a mile walking back and forth to the various offices! Very cold too, unheated buildings except offices.
They were very keen once it was clear we were serious buyers, but constantly polite, courteous and professional.
Yes, the salesman did try very hard to sell us a mechanical warranty, with the leaflets, the script etc, but he took No for an answer without being pushy at all.
It seemed that some of the staff around us were a little more agressive in their techniques, but the two guys we dealt with left us feeling happy and not ripped off or pressurised at all.
It does take time, we were there from 3.30pm until 7pm, but there are vending machines dotted around the place and a burger van right outside!
If it's any help, we went in the Fleet dept sales office and dealt with Syed, and the finance guy was called Brian. From our experience yesterday they would be the ones to approach.

Hth,

Dave.
Thanks DTD - a very good insight for the novice like me. Feels like I was there too ! Hope all goes well and you'll post aagain if any problems arise.

Good luck with the motor.
Time to treat myself - THe Growler
Dave thanks indeed for such an informative account of your experience. I will suggest to my daughter she goes the same route. Buying any vehicle nowadays seems to be such a potential quagmire and she's a neophyte in this regard and I'm too far away to help her.

THe BR spirit at its best. Many thanks!
Time to treat myself - googolplex
i put myself through the GTC experience before Xmas. DTD's account very true to my experience.
I ended up buying the 2 years warranty but mine only cost £199 on a basic spec micra so I presume you have to pay more on a car with lots of bells n whistles. However, they WERE very pushy on the warranty and I had all the papers written out with me insisting on not buying it and the salesman just wouldn't let go, making me out to be mad for turning it down. In the end I buckled - rather undignified since I'd gone in mentally prepared for all this.
Still don't know if I've done the right thing, of course, only time will tell.
All the same, I'll very probably go back later in the year to replace car no.1...
splodgeface
Time to treat myself - NWS
Enlighten me - GTC? I've just searched GTC+vehicles on Google and nothing came up. Ta
Great Trade Centre NWS - see the news section and the links to various dealers.
Time to treat myself - smokie
I understand their trade-in prices are very low, and there is no opportunity to haggle down their prices. Is that right?

Their prices seem very keen, but there are quite a few high milers on their stock. A friend bought a Mondy a year or so back and was well pleased with the price etc (and has only had the renowned Mondeo leaking light cluster problem)

I'm also told that their turnover of cars is very quick so if you like something you should buy it there and then, as it probably won't be there next week.

I was there last weekend just browsing with SWMBO. Great place to look at all brands of car, such huge stocks.
Time to treat myself - googolplex
I understand their trade-in prices are very low, and there is
no opportunity to haggle down their prices. Is that right?

Yes, Yes!

My trade-in price was low but the car was coming up for MOT and would have needed at least a few 100 spent on it plus servicing so I couldn't complain. Also the cat relieved himself in it about 6 months previously and I gave up trying to get rid of the smell!!!! Otherwise, I would suggest trying a private sale although, thinking about that, I'm not sure if I could be bothered with the hassle for a not guaranteed extra few 100.

Haggling - there was no haggling on their asking price and, regarding the trade in, he tried to make me think I'd moved him from 800 to 1K but this was definitely in his calculations all along.

Splodgeface