What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - 1.6tdci 61 plate focus, should I? - sneekes

Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing one of these in Titanium spec, I know there were issues with the pre facelift version but can anybody advise if they got rid of all the nasty turbo issues etc on the facelift model?

Thanks in advance

Ford Focus - 1.6tdci 61 plate focus, should I? - skidpan

We had a 55 plate on for 5 years and it was the most reliable car we have ever had.

Ford Focus - 1.6tdci 61 plate focus, should I? - MikeTorque

I assume you are talking about the Focus mk2, correct ? Please confirm.

Ford updated the 1.6 TDCi engine for Euro V compliance and they changed the DPF to a coated-DPF (no fluid needed) so hopefully that's got rid of one of the problems. As for turbo failures etc. they did address the engine to allow better flow of oil around the engine. The other critical factor is to ensure the oil & oil filter are changed sooner than the 12500 miles or 1 year as per service minimum requirement.

We have a 1.6 TDCi Focus Titanium and it's a very much improved car compared with the pre-08 version, more refined, comfortable and easy to drive and plenty of useful equipment, the engine pulls from cleanly from low revs.

Yes its a mk2 focus, I am probably going to get the oil changed on it at 6k intervals as I don't want to take the risk of any issues.

I do an 80 mile round trip mainly on motorways so I am not expecting and dpf related issues. Just out of interest what mpg do you get on a run?

Thanks

It varies depending on weather conditions, road terrain etc. but typically on a regular 100 mile run (including a tea & sandwich break) of which around 40 miles was dual carriageway and the rest was mostly A roads passing through a few urban villages and going via 3 towns I was regularly getting between 63mpg with head wind conditions and temp around 10c and around 74.5mpg during the summer months with temps between 19-24c. A typical mean would be around 72mpg during warmer weather. I haven't done those journeys during the winter months.

I used Shell FuelSave diesel and Shell V-power diesel, there was no difference in mpg between the two although the V-power produced a slightly smoother engine and made fresh engine oil dirty a lot quicker.

I use cruise control on duals and regularly on A roads, makes a long journey a lot easier on the legs.

Ford Focus - 1.6tdci 61 plate focus, should I? - unthrottled

there was no difference in mpg between the two although the V-power produced a slightly smoother engine and made fresh engine oil dirty a lot quicker.

Interesting observation. Craig reports the opposite: modest improvement in economy, and longer intervals between DPF regens.

I've never experienced a regen with the cDPF in the Focus 1.6 TDCi.

I concluded from all the figures I recorded I could find no obvious fuel differences between FuelSave & V-Power, there were other variables to consider such as different driving conditions, traffic flow, air temperature, wind resistance etc.

Edited by MikeTorque on 08/01/2013 at 22:58

Ford Focus - 1.6tdci 61 plate focus, should I? - unthrottled

I wouldn't have expected one, but I know that Craig is also a data junkie and keeps careful records.

Ford Focus - 1.6tdci 61 plate focus, should I? - jamie745

Anorak then?

Many thanks for the information. Looks like I am going to go for it.

Information correction - I should have said I used Shell FuelSave + Millers Diesel Power Ecomax (normal strength) verses Shell V-power.

I have found there is a small fuel economy advantage when adding Millers to Shell FuelSave.

I don't use Millers with Shell V-power.

Let us know how you get on sneekes.