Nissan Almera 1.6 auto 1999. - A.B.S. Problem. - maximus

ABS light has just come up on Almera. I've heard that you can test (without a meter), but, I cannot seem to find instructions online. I presume it may be a sensor. Both rear brakes are slightly binding - an easy fix, but if abs prob is expensive the car may not be worth fixing.

Many thanks Max.

Nissan Almera 1.6 auto 1999. - A.B.S. Problem. - bathtub tom

Have you tried the Almera owners club website?

Yes. They seem to be having website problems,can't find anything in search.

Nissan Almera 1.6 auto 1999. - A.B.S. Problem. - bathtub tom

There used to be a way of reading warning light flashes when shorting a couple of pins on the diagnostic port. I also recall something about turning the ignition on and pressing the door shut switch IIRC.

It could well be worth your while doing some serious googling.

Thank you . Googling away, but, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks Max.

Nissan Almera 1.6 auto 1999. - A.B.S. Problem. - elekie&a/c doctor

Some models have the facility to do a self -test blink code diagnosis.It depends on the type of diagnostic socket fitted.If the car is fitted with the common 16 pin obd socket,then diagnostic is via diag equipment only.If the car has the Nissan 14 -pin socket ,then it is possible to do a blink -code test by earthing pin 4 and counting the flash codes on the abs warning light.The procedure for pressing the drivers door pin switch in and out ,is for the airbag system .hth

Thank you Dr.elekie.

I've found out which is pin 4. Do you earth it to chassis or another pin? Also I assume you leave ignition on.

Many thanks, Max.

p.s Thanks to all who have replied.

Nissan Almera 1.6 auto 1999. - A.B.S. Problem. - McP

Hi Max,

Do you definately have the 14 pin socket? Nissan changed from OBD to OBD2 (16 pin) around this year. My experience is with Primeras and Micras with both OBD and OBD2

If 14 pin, pin 4 is the centre pin on the lower row.

From the Primera 96-99 Service Manual

Drive the car for at least one minute at least 20mph. (I guess just take a short drive)

Turn ignition to lock

Connect Pin 4 to Ground (chassis) with a suitable piece of wire. Do not press the brake pedal.

Turn ignition on

After 3.6 Seconds the warning light starts to flash.

It should start with one long flash and two short, followed by a 3 second gap

The error code will then flash. Long Flashes followed by short flashes.

2 Long and 5 short is 25. Front left sensor open circuit for example.

25 and 26 are front left (passenger side) sensor errors, 21 and 22 are front right sensor errors. These are the most common on the Primera. Broken sensor wire, dirty sensor, cracked/dirty ABS ring and faulty sensor.

There can be multiple errors. I think the error(s) cycle until the wire is disconnected from Pin 4.

If you get any other error No, I can check the manual. For my ref Page 1485.

Hi McP.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I have the Primera ( Haynes) manual and failed to see the advice bout socket. I am a bit tied up at the moment, but, hopefully will get round to it very soon. I did find the fault codes on t'internet tho. Whatever happens I shall get back to this forum and let all who want to know what happens.

Once again thank you. Max.

It is in the factory manual.

Try the Primera club (free to join). Manual and more info available.

Hi.

Had a go today. Got fault code 25 which is front left hand sensor. Decided to have a look, but, one sheared off bolt and then drilling out of aforesaid bolt. did not go well as sensor is still in place. Have now reassembled and may give it a go another day.

Many thanks to all who helped me, I may not have given up yet!

Max.

p.s. one bit of good news c5 passed mot today-no notifications.

I have never tried to remove one but heard they can be awkward!

I have heard of people fitting a 2nd hand hub because the sensors won't come out.

Did you check the wiring? 25 is open circuit. Not unknown for the wires to break.

Good news on the C5.

Nissan Almera 1.6 auto 1999. - A.B.S. Problem. - mycartoy
This brink test doesn't work on my 99 nissan almera and it has the 14 pin plug to check my abs sensors as the light is on
Nissan Almera 1.6 auto 1999. - A.B.S. Problem. - Cyd

disconnect the sensor and check its continuity. You should be seeing about 1000 to 1200 ohms. Short or open circuit is defo faulty.

The Gods of siezed bolts often like an offering of heat. Or try a plumbers freeze spray if there are sensitive components too close.

Afraid old almera has been sent away. Now wife has a yaris auto-upside is that the yaris does about 15 mpg more than almera.