What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Buying the company beemer - Sparrow

Next June the lease runs out on my company 320D Touring and I will get a car allowance instead.

I have an option to buy the 320, but am being put off by 2 things: long term reliability, eg turbos going etc, and the fact it is no good in the snow.

When I chose the BME I test drove an Octavia 4WD, which was quite a nice car, but too hight in Co2 emissions to have as a company car. Is it likey to have any better long term reliability than the BMW?

Any suggested alternatives. I expect to do about 12k miles a year, like an estate to carry various clobber about, and have got used to diesel torque, having had 2 excellent 320Ds in a row (nothing went wrong with the first in 60K miles, this one is the new E91 and had to be resuced by BMW assist at 37K miles when the temperature sensor failed, stranding me.

Any thoughts, possibilities, honda accord touring? . . .

- Buying the company beemer - Sparrow

The forum seems remarkable quiet on this. Someone must have a view of some sort or another, even it is to use my bike instead:)

- Buying the company beemer - AlleyCat`

Theres a lot more that goes into it than just the information supplied and the questions asked.

Do you need to go cash for cars or can you just pick something else? If you can stay in the fleet (and the choices are reasonably generous i would keep with this).

You also need to consider:-

How much will the lease company want for the car to start with?

How are you paying to purchase the vehicle. Things like loans, etc have a cost associated with them? What will it cost you to insure it?

Your cash for cars allowance, would it cover the cost of the purchase, insurance, etc?

Does the company run a policy about the age of vehicle (ours says cars that are on a cash for cars scheme cannot exceed 5 years of age).

If you had to then get rid of the car in another two years what depreciation would you suffer on the BMW v's an Octavia.

As you've stated, on cash for cars the CO2 becomes somewhat irrelevant (until they change legislation again).

Maybe not the answer you were after but some more questions you need to find answers for :-)

If it was me:- Don't buy a x4x4 estate if it is because of the weather. Get the proper tyres for winter and it'll work out cheaper (unless you live somewhere where the snow gets deep obviously).

Edited by AlleyCat` on 14/01/2011 at 13:08

- Buying the company beemer - Sparrow

Thanks Alleycat. Plenty to consider and may thanks for your reply.

To give a bit more info, and answer at least some of your questions:

>Do you need to go cash for cars or can you just pick something else? If you can stay in the fleet (and the choices are reasonably generous i would keep with this). Unfortunately I have to come out of the fleet. I've pushed this as much as I dare, as I alwys chose the car insteadof the cash in the past as the choice was quite good.

>How much will the lease company want for the car to start with? They won't tell me that until immediately before the lease runs out. which doesn't help do the comparison. Our fleet manager doesn't seem to have much experience of whether they offer reasonable prices or what.

> How are you paying to purchase the vehicle. Things like loans, etc have a cost associated with them? What will it cost you to insure it? Unless there is a good finance deal I might as well pay with cash, as I don't get much interest on it in the bank.

>Your cash for cars allowance, would it cover the cost of the purchase, insurance, etc? Basically it will be difficult to run a 320D for the amount they are offering given these other costs.

>Does the company run a policy about the age of vehicle (ours says cars that are on a cash for cars scheme cannot exceed 5 years of age). It is supposed to be less than 6 years old, though I don't know how rigorously they enforce it. I know of people with older cars, though they were probably within the rules when they bought it.

>If you had to then get rid of the car in another two years what depreciation would you suffer on the BMW v's an Octavia. Depreciation is a major consideration, but I in order to reduce that I would attempt to keep the car beyond the 6 year limit, assming it is still reliable at that stage.

>If it was me:- Don't buy a x4x4 estate if it is because of the weather. Get the proper tyres for winter and it'll work out cheaper (unless you live somewhere where the snow gets deep obviously). Agree with you on that one.

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Buying the company beemer - Boulder2k9

Passat estate TDI and the common rail engine, reliable robust comfortable and should be good on fuel. It will also be far superior to the BM in the snow. Alternatively what condition is the 320d in?Mileage etc?

Good luck.

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Buying the company beemer - Avant

If you love BMWs, nothing else will do - and fair enough.

I wanted to like the 320d Touring,a nd had several long test drives, but I couldn't come to terms with either the driving position or the gearchange. My Octavia vRS is - for me - at least as good to drive as a 3-series and a lot cheaper. It needs winter tyres in the snow; non-vRS Octavias have less sporty tyres as original equipment and might be OK in winter as they are.

Get a good test drive in an Octavia and see if it compares well enough with a BMW. I wouldn't personally go for a Passat, as it's more expensive than an Octavia with not much to show for the extra cost. And it has one of those needless electronic handbrakes.

Edited by Avant on 14/01/2011 at 23:05

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Buying the company beemer - Sparrow

Thanks Avant. I plan to test drive an Octavia. Actually I did have a 4x4 Octavia for a day before plumping for the BMW company car 3 years ago. That had the PD, which was no comparison to the smooth BMW engine. Other than that I liked it, and as you say a lot cheaper than the BMW.

Now they have the CR engine so that is solved. I don't need 4WD and I have known others good reports of the vRS.

I also plan to test drive an Accord (might be a bit big, certainly bigger than the 3 series). I don't like the electronic handbrake - tried that in a Peugeot and found it is just one more thing to make you feel more remote from the road - and another totally unecessary thing to go wrong.

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Buying the company beemer - rsvtoddy

If you are going to buy and run your own car I would expect that 12k miles a year wouldn't justify a diesel.

I know you are used to the torque of the diesel but consider a petrol version.

BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Buying the company beemer - evo99
If your choice next June is to buy your current BMW company car vs another used car then I would favour retaining the BMW as you know its history.

You will save a fair bit of money taking a cash allowance & running a non new car rather another company car and this should easily pay the odd repair bill.

I always use the 'Which' car guide for judging which cars are reliable. The latest guide gives the 3 series diesels a very good rating for reliability.

Of course a major consideration in the company car vs cash allowance is the cost of insurance. That's down to your age & your accident record. Your current leasing company should on request give you a letter stating your recent claims history.
BMW 3 Series Touring E91 - Buying the company beemer - tmjs

My car choice came down to either a new Octavia or a 2nd hand BMW. I had a test drive in a 1.4 TSi with 7-speed DSG, was very impressed by it.

In the end I went with a BMW 520d as I managed to pick one up cheap at auction, I calculate that it'll cost me less overall (depreciation is a big factor). If I hadn't been able to get such a good deal on the BMW then I would have gone with the Octavia.

So I suggest working out how much each car would cost over say 3 years and decide on that basis, unless you have a strong preference for one or the other.