What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Van - Ford Connect - White smoke/Loss of power/ Jumping - daveyK_UK

Transit Connect - 06 plate - 78k on clock

recently had problems with the van losing power after an hour or twos continuous driving, this then became so bad the car would struggle to get above 30.

diagnosed with worm out clutch - replaced

problem continued and now thermostat was showing over heating, also a loss of heater

diagnosed with faulty radiator - replaced

Since this work has been done, 900 miles have been covered in 3 days where the car has started to jumping while revving (after the engine has warmed up) causing the car to shake.

Furthermore, i have lost power twice while on major a roads, the engine still turned over but when accelerating huge gulfs of white smoke come out the back.

Managed to get it moving again by giving it a 20 minute break.

Any idea what is wrong? All responses appreciated as my local garage which has in the been ok in the past with my vehicles, seem clueless.

Thanks.

Ford Fiesta Van - Ford Connect - White smoke/Loss of power/ Jumping - TeeCee

White smoke out of the tailpipe accompanied by loss of power would suggest a seriously blown head gasket.

This is probably more likely to have been the source of the original overheating problem than the radiator. The leaky radiator (probably an effect rather than a cause) would relieve some of the pressure, disguising the source of the problem. Now this has been fixed, the root cause has become apparent.

That's my guess (based on prior experience) anyway. Anyone else got a better idea?

Ford Fiesta Van - Ford Connect - White smoke/Loss of power/ Jumping - Peter.N.

I would agree, except that failure of the gasket itself will not cause the engine to overheat but the subsequent loss of coolant due to the pressure in the system will of course. Even if you have no leak ,the pressure can force the water out of the header tank overflow. White smoke can also be caused by unburnt fuel, if you have water leaking into a combustion chamber that could promote it.

I would agree, except that failure of the gasket itself will not cause the engine to overheat but the subsequent loss of coolant due to the pressure in the system will of course. Even if you have no leak ,the pressure can force the water out of the header tank overflow. White smoke can also be caused by unburnt fuel, if you have water leaking into a combustion chamber that could promote it.

Sorry about that - don't know what happened there.

Thanks guys,

Had it looked at all morning, its not the head gasket.

We did find a sensor linked to a manifold which was not working and had become loose, part arrives monday, will have it fitted and hoepfully it will cure the problem.

This is the 2nd connect I have had problems with, seems to happen when they turn 4 years old.

Trouble free for 4 years and then nothing but problems despite being high, mid or low mileage.

Friends with same experience around 4/5 years old.

solved.

manifold sensor (forgot the full title) and more importantly 2 new drive shafts to cure the judder.

I said it before and I will say it again, the transit connect makes the perfect lease van for 3 or 4 years.

But for some reason, when they go over 4 years old even with average 60k milege, they go substancially wrong.

The garage I use repairs vans for network rail and says they are taking connects of their large fleet ; one of the main reasons was due to the problems when they turn 4 years old and the high initial purchase price.

They are replacIng them with combos which my garage tells me are not as good but make up for it by being alot cheaper and easier to repair.

This probably explains why the connect came in the top 3 vans for reliablity, an award voted on by mainly fleet operators who are unlikely to retain them beyond 4 years.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 25/11/2010 at 20:16