What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
98 1.8 Central locking 'bouncing'(locking then unl - softopdriver
For a few days, the front passenger door lock would not operate when the rest of the locks did and had to be locked manually. Now, only the drivers door locks from the key, all the others 'bounce', that is they all immediately unlock whenever they are asked to lock.

I shall check all the connections on the central locking control box at the weekend as I understand these can work loose and lead to poor connections, but if I just wanted to disable central locking could I just pull the appropriate fuse and resort to manually locking each door?
98 1.8 Central locking 'bouncing'(locking then unl - jc2
This is usually caused by the microswitch in a doorlock telling the system that a door is not closed;there is a microswitch in the lock on each door.There is a diagnosis procedure that will tell you which one-someone on here should know it.

Edited by jc2 on 02/02/2010 at 09:26

98 1.8 Central locking 'bouncing'(locking then unl - Dynamic Dave
Not sure if it's mentioned on www.mirez.co.uk/index.htm or not?
Thanks for the link DD, i've been through that site already and got some ideas, but TBH I'd rather not strip down the doors and start swapping out lock motors, if one has died then i'd rather just disable the central locking altogether.

I've also ran the diagnosis to no avail, every door and the key responds as it should each time, so i'm thinking it's likely to be a failure (mechanical or, as has been mentioned, electronic) within one of the lock mechanisms deep inside a door cavity.
98 1.8 Central locking 'bouncing'(locking then unl - Whacko
In the Mondeo Owner's Guide page 154 : Fuse and relay box (below instrument panel)
"Fuse 25 yellow Central locking system, double locking, diagnostic plug, park interlock (aut. transm.)" Is this relevant or is it just for dealers' diagnostic equipment ? I've had this problem intermittently for 6 years (Jan 29 post).
Update to my original post:

If I first lock the drivers side with the key (only drivers door locks) THEN walk around to the passenger side and try it, the other three doors lock, but ONLY if I do it in that order. From inside the car, the passenger lock does not work for other than itself, same for the drivers lock.

Maybe this gives a clue to someone as to what part of the system is at fault.
98 1.8 Central locking 'bouncing'(locking then unl - jc2
Do you only use the passenger lock with the key occasionally? There was a concern where the key could be removed before the switch in the lock assy. had gone right back to it's central position.Was cured by fitting a stronger spring in the lock to ensure the switch regained it's central position.
Do you only use the passenger lock with the key occasionally?

Yes, just once in a blue moon. I always use the key (in preference to the remote) to lock/unluck but obviously 99.5% of the time it's the drivers lock I will put the key in - I believe this keeps the locks freed up and moving.

Is it possible to spray some switch cleaner (servisol) into the locks or up and under the door handles to try and target and sticking contacts? If so, any ideas as to where I would aim the spray nozzle - it would be great if someone had a link to a photo of a door with the door card stripped out to see what's in there.
98 1.8 Central locking 'bouncing'(locking then unl - aaflyer
Take the fuse out. You wont have central locking, but it'll stop the car unlocking itself! Had a similar problem on a MKII Punto and this solved it.