99 2.0 Smoky exhaust, cockpit ecu light - Ell's
Right 1st, hope someone can help before these small probs become 1 big one,
2nd, please bear with me as there is a lot I'd I like to say, so as not to have to backtrack later thanks

Ok so I bought my vectra 2.0 sri s reg 99, just after xmas with no obvious probs on the test drive.
After a week or 2 the exhaust started to smoke (white) but i'm not loosing any coolant, water, oil, e.g..
Plugs were dry but Iv popped in new ones and HT leads. Any help welcome

Also I have the engine management or ecu light up in the cockpit ( amber, pic of an engine with flash in the mid )
I comes on intermitted, the revs will drop off if I give it some welly they will pick up again but now and again it will stall
and not turn over again for a min or 2. I've used electric spray on all connections and looked at sensors. But with out
a haynes book i'm not to shore wots wot.
I also have tried to find the ALDL connector so I can do the old paper clip test, But I've looked at all the pics andread all the info on www.topbuzz1.carenthusiasts.co.uk/info/fault_codes...m but cant find it on my motor

I might be a bit thick and my car is to old! But any help please!

Edited by Webmaster on 29/01/2010 at 13:49

99 2.0 Smoky exhaust, cockpit ecu light - Dynamic Dave
The diagnostic plug is under a removable cover just below the handbrake lever.

Re the exhaust 'smoke'. Are you actually sure it's smoke and not steam from the cold weather we've been having recently?
99 2.0 Smoky exhaust, cockpit ecu light - bell boy
if engine code is x20xev then you can paper clip it
refer to your link for the correct pins out
ok bell boy Ill have a look
Ok dave thanx
And no the smoke is smoke.I thought the same but if you pop a bord up and leave it running ( as I have ) you get a black durty bord
And wife tells me the smoke more blue than white ( thanx wife for your car insight )
99 2.0 Smoky exhaust, cockpit ecu light - SteveLee
Might just be a knackered Lambda sensor, the fuelling would probably have gone rich as the sensor was failing, once failed it'll run on a static fuel map if the sensor reading is out of spec and the fault lamp will be lit. Don't drive it like this or you will kill your catalytic converter.

Once you've fixed it do a couple of miles on the motorway in 3rd gear to give the catalytic converter a good clean out.
Thanks Steve
Ill be geting a haynes manual soon and ill find Lambda sensor and have a look. If it is dead will there be power going thro.?
Ok update, iv don the paper clip test iv got codes
0340--- camshaft sensor
0505--- ???????
Any ideas

Edited by Ell'vectra'Arrrr on 31/01/2010 at 17:05

99 2.0 Smoky exhaust, cockpit ecu light - Dynamic Dave
A quick google - 0505 Vauxhall fault code

everything2.com/title/How+to+read+ECU+fault+codes+...s

0505 Idle speed stepper motor/idle air regulator

www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=DTC_0505

0505 idle air control valve (iacv) circuit fault

Silly me .....
car on the brain should have don that my self.
Thanks Dave!
Iv been told that the excessive fumes from the exhaust might be a vacuum leak>> is this possible ?

I have found a hose that seems to just hang and not fit on to anything. but seems to be neer the sump? ( carnt see all that well as it dark ) should I investigate properly or am I just a bit dim!!? and missing somtheing