Gearbox-what can it do? - Martin Devon
Snow here tonight in North Devon and a colleague has a 55 plate 'S' type diesel Auto' Traction useless in these conditions. Now I have guessed (and a small wager) that the gearbox has some sort of tiptronic/manual function up the left hand side of the gate thereby allowing him to select a higher ratio from rest and giving more traction and/or being able to change up ealrier having the same effect.

Will I be the winner??

Best regards.................Martin
or even earlier!
Gearbox-what can it do? - gordonbennet
No doubt you are right Martin, but i'll wager it makes no a jot of difference as the Jag's gearbox is silky smooth anyway if driven gently.
no tyre grip no go.
Gearbox-what can it do? - donald from essex
Sorry Martin you lose.The left hand side of the J gate allows a limited control over the gears, but not in the way I suspect you think. To take an example 3 does not lock the gear box in third gear, it prevents it from selecting a higher gear ie fourth, fifth or sixth.First , second and third will be selected as usual.Therefore it cannot be used to select a higher gear in winter/ icey conditions.
Gearbox-what can it do? - Westpig
Tell him to turn the traction control off....that's what I did in mine 10 days back up a very slippery hill and up she went no problem. With it turned on, the power was cut until it stopped.

Don't forget though that turning the button off, also turns off the ABS and Dynamic Stability Control.

If it's really slippery, pulling the hand brake up a bit, would prevent only one wheel slipping, i.e. it would allow the two driving wheels both to turn, rather than just one.
Thank WP.. I must get in it and give it a go just to prove the point!!!

Shame it's not the latest model. Stuff off a shovel I believe.
If it's really slippery pulling the hand brake up a bit would prevent only one
wheel slipping i.e. it would allow the two driving wheels both to turn rather than
just one.

Electronic parking brake by all accounts WP.
Electronic parking brake by all accounts WP.

Ah yes, forgot about that, the modern ones have such things....mine has the established lever. Another example of one step forwards, two backwards maybe. I would concede that the amount of times in a car's life you'd need to use a handbrake in that fashion would be fairly remote though.
Nearly every Auto I have driven/owned has had some sort of winter mode or ability to start in a higher gear. I will be amazed if I am wrong and that there is nothing of this sort in a car of this type. Next please!!

Regards.....M
Nearly every Auto I have driven/owned has had some sort of winter mode or ability
to start in a higher gear. I will be amazed if I am wrong and
that there is nothing of this sort in a car of this type. Next please!!

You are correct, if you put it in manual 2 i.e. using the left hand side of the gearbox selector, it will start in 2 rather than auto 1.
You are correct if you put it in manual 2 i.e. using the left hand
side of the gearbox selector it will start in 2 rather than auto 1.

And then if you tap it up to '3' quite early will it stay in 3 or drop back at a hint of throttle?
And then if you tap it up to '3' quite early will it stay in 3 or drop back at a hint of throttle?

if you put it in 3 (at any point) it will still go back to 2 on its' own....seeds of doubt re the 2 position, i'll report back as per the entry below
Gearbox-what can it do? - Cheeky
Beg to differ Westpig. On my J-gate selector, if you move out of Drive and over to the numbered section, moving it over to '2' engages first and second gear only. Useful for engine braking, but sadly, no function at all to allow a second or even third gear start.
Beg to differ Westpig. On my J-gate selector if you move out of Drive and
over to the numbered section moving it over to '2' engages first and second gear
only. Useful for engine braking but sadly no function at all to allow a second
or even third gear start.

Hmm...you've put doubt in my mind now. I'll try it tomorrow, can't do it now as i've had a couple of ciders. There's a sprinkling of snow, so we'll also have to see what mother nature leaves overnight.
Gearbox-what can it do? - WorkshopTech
On these jags the manual selector just limits the highest gear that can be engaged - i.e. in 3 it goes no higher than third but still sets off in first. They are for engine braking (to stop it shifting up) rather than driving in icy weather. The S-type is a pig in slippery conditions, be best to leave it and take a bus.
Beg to differ Westpig. On my J-gate selector if you move out of Drive and
over to the numbered section moving it over to '2' engages first and second gear
only. Useful for engine braking but sadly no function at all to allow a second
or even third gear start.

You've proven me wrong Cheeky...i've just checked the manual and no mention of it in there. Funny how you can convince yourself...i'd have put money on that.
Bang goes my wager then. I always wondered what the 'S' stood for!
I always wondered what the 'S' stood for!

Sport....holds the gears a bit more and changes down a bit earlier e.g. half throttle without 'sport' might not have a change down, with 'sport' and it would.

If you drive spiritedly and use your right hoof to 'make progress' it makes very little difference.
>>The S-type is a pig in slippery conditions, be best to leave it and take a bus.

Bang goes my wager then. I always wondered what the 'S' stood for!
I always wondered what the 'S' stood for!

Sport....holds the gears a bit more and changes down a bit earlier e.g. half throttle without 'sport' might not have a change down, with 'sport' and it would.

Spot my exclamation mark WP, to the take the Bus reply???.Wonder what ?S? stood for!!!

Best get a Jimny. It got the ?S? type man home up very rural lanes, 8 inches of snow + my Seventeen and a bit stones and five bags of coal, Bird peanuts and seed and two sacks of dog food, shovel, can of petrol, a few tools too. Blooming carp these 4x4?s

Best regards as ever..M