What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.4 diesel cutting out - thesedds
Don't believe it! After five years' ownership and 83000 miles without so much as a bulb blowing (averaging around 67 mpg), my yaris D4D cut out today soon after setting off from home. Pretty cold weather, around -4 overnight with it left on the drive, but I've never had this problem before with any other diesel I've owned. Problem started with a slight hesitation after about half a mile (started without problem), and waited until I got onto the dual carriageway to lose all power and then die completely. Managed to coast to a lay-by and then tried starting it again after five mins, which it did. Set off on full beans, but then cut again more or less straight away. Re-started on the move and managed to limp home in second/third. By the time I got home it seemed to be pulling absolutely normally, so the only thing i can think of is waxing fuel. This seems unlikely though, as the other car (07 Honda CRV) parked next to it, filled from same pump, set off no problem. Any suggestions as to where to look? Left it parked in the garage overnight, so we'll see whether it gets me to work in the morning. Whaddya think is the problem?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/12/2009 at 00:56

02 1.4 Yaris diesel cutting out - gordonbennet
Possible small water droplets in the fuel filter freezing, probably not but on most fuel filter housings there's a drain to let any accumulated water drops out....if you catch the drainings do check for water drops maybe you have a small puddle at the bottom of the tank.

Maybe a new fuel filter before you look at anything else, how long since it was changed?
02 1.4 Yaris diesel cutting out - Peter.N.
I would agree, change the fuel filter.
02 1.4 Yaris diesel cutting out - thesedds
Thanks for your comments. Filter was replaced at 65000 miles by local garage (the only service I haven't done myself) - the book says every 60,000 / 4 years. Tried opening the tap at the bottom of the filter, and only a few drops came out of what looks like diesel to me. think best to wait to see how it runs tomorrow, any probs and I'll get the fuel filter changed.
- the book says every 60 000 / 4 years.

My hilux is as bad...no service interval mentioned at all, mine gets changed every year, as do all Aussies with theirs, they tend to term the lack of service interval with rather more fruity language though;-)

If there's a primer pump on top of the filter housing you may get more out of the drain tap by pressing the plunger a few times, respectfully suggest genuine filter.
02 1.4 Yaris diesel cutting out - thesedds
Update: tried getting to work the next morning, but cut out again, this time after about ten miles, but otherwise identical circumstances - just pulled off roundabout onto a stretch of dual carriageway. Threw in the towel this time and called the breakdown. He couldn't find a problem, so followed me to the nearest toyota dealer, where I left it. They had a look at it - the fault code logged indicated pressure control valve circuit issue. They reset light and drained filter, with advice that if it goes again then fuel pump would need to be replaced. The cost of this will be ......... 900 quid !!!!! on a 2 grand car !!! Drove to work and back today with much trepidation, but made it OK (40 mile round trip). Fingers crossed, but don't hold out much hope. Think someone is making a packet on items like this - 900 quid for an engine maybe, but a fuel pump ???
For pete's sake they didn't throw a £12 or so filter in it whilst there despite draining the filter (which means they must suspect water too)...i give up.

I've already given my suggestion above.

The cars not had any fuel other than pump DERV through the system has it?

It might be a few years since a Diesel engine cost £900, on BMW's 320 for example just stick a 0 on the end...;)
02 1.4 Yaris diesel cutting out - madf
The fault logged is consistent with fuel icing up...