What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
90 2.0 Erratic starting problem - Stubakka
Hey Guys,

Can anyone shed some light on my problem, as Mercedes just shrug their shoulders and say i need to take it in for a full assessment £££££.

I've got a great low mileage 1990 2L 190e. since I bought it, its had its ups and downs but generally purrs like a kitten. Recently it has started a weird little problem.

Most of the time it starts first time without effort, no matter what the weather is doing, but now every 5th to 10th start, it just turns over with absolutely no sound of even getting a spark. Its so chalk and cheese as its totally perfect when it does start but absolutely no go when it doesn't.

A hour later I can go back and it starts first time again. weird. its got me trouble a few times now so i need to sort it out. Any ideas?

The coil? the distributor? are there other little control modules that can go dodge?

Thanks chaps,

Stubakka
90 2.0 Erratic starting problem - elekie&a/c doctor
These 190e models are generally very reliable and suffer very few component failures on the fuel injection system.However, an erratic starting fault could be caused by an intermittent problem with the fuel pump relay.Iirc it is situated behind a plastic cover,behind battery.I doubt if a M/B dealer could fix this,they have probably never seen one before!!hth