What cars do the police near you use? - ifithelps
The question occurred after I saw a marked Ford S-Max today.

Why would the police want a people carrier, I thought, until I got a bit closer and saw the legend: 'Police Dogs' written on the side.

The two rearmost side windows had been replaced with glass with three ventilation louvres.

Another thread makes mention of a police VW Polo.

What police cars or vehicles have you seen?

Marked or unmarked, it doesn't matter.

What cars do the police near you use? - Nsar
Certainly the weirdest I've seen was an unmarked H reg vectra with blue lights behind the grille in Cheetham Hill area of Manchester - presumably to blend in on those mean streets
What cars do the police near you use? - NickS
Sorry to be a pedant, but a H reg Vectra? Vectras didnt come into production until 1995.....(ish). Unless it's a European Opel Vectra, which was the Cavalier here.....?

Ill get my coat...........
What cars do the police near you use? - TheOilBurner
Round here in the last couple of years:

V70s, S60s (As Seen On Traffic Cops!)
5 Series, 3 series
Mondeo ST220s
Zafiras
Lexus RX450h
Skoda Octavias

Some marked, mostly unmarked - I have a keen eye!

Lot's of variety because I live near the edge of 3 different forces!
What cars do the police near you use? - stunorthants26
In my village this week they have been here everyday with two Octavias, pointing nise to nose in a layby, presumably using ANPR cos they also had an unmarked silver Shogun 5dr which seemed to be actually stopping people a little way down.
What cars do the police near you use? - LikedDrivingOnce
"London's Finest" round my way use BMW 5 series estates, and Vauxhall Astras.

To see either of these driven at speed by a police driver is mighty impressive!
What cars do the police near you use? - julie page
Diesel Volvo V70s and Astras.

On the motorway used to see Range Rovers and Mercedes 4 x 4s, but I do not think they have them anymore

Why is the Volvo V70 so popular among the Police?
What cars do the police near you use? - LikedDrivingOnce
Why is the Volvo V70 so popular among the Police?

Two main reasons - firstly, as an estate it can carry lots of kit (and the Police like carrying lots of useful stuff around), and secondly, they find that they can modify it to install all of their gizmos on the dashboard fairly easily - which can't be said of every car.
What cars do the police near you use? - Urban Nomad
In east London the unmarked car of choice appears to be the Toyota Auris 2 littre diesel, and everyone of them is dark metallic grey. I clocked this a few months back when I noticed "blokey blokes" driving around in Auris's, looked the sort who would normally would be in a Golf or even Focus but not a bland Toyota.
What cars do the police near you use? - J500ANT
For Avon & Somerset - Normal panda type cars, its Focus (estate mainly) with a few Astras knocking around too. CID have Focus hatch. For the faster stuff they've got some old Skoda Octavia VRS estates and I think a 3 series or two. Motorway have 5 series and X5, marked and unmarked, and I think they still have a few older Mercs knocking about.
What cars do the police near you use? - alfatrike
devon and cornwall use marked focus estates and saloons for plod work. mainly marked bm 5's and volvo's for motorway and a selection of unmarked motorway black focus', bm 5's in silver and skoda vrs' again in silver.

i'm driving past the workshops tomorrow so i'll case the operation.
What cars do the police near you use? - Hummerman
Here in Doha (middle east) the police use Landcruisers 5.3 V8, Nissan Patrols V8, Range Rover Sport, BMW X5, Merc ML AMG 63, Merc C63, BMW M5 and Toyota Camry.
But you never see them chasing a speeder !
What cars do the police near you use? - grumpyscot
Lothian & Borders have been using an unmarked CORSA ! Apparently, its been quite effective,as it's the last type of car you would expect BiB to use!

What cars do the police near you use? - loskie
Dumfries and Galloway
Astra and Focus Panda cars
V70/S60 Marked Traffic+ Mercs and BMW5
Unmarked grey/silver Saab 95(very unexpected) Volvo and Mercs
CID use various humdrum hire cars from Arnold Clark
What cars do the police near you use? - BobbyG
Continuing the Scottish theme, Lothian & Borders now have a Passat 4 motion on use. As well as a 3 series estate with a roofbox on (allegedly) and various unmarked Audis.

Strathclyde have all the usual suspects, most of their CID cars are red Focus. The armed division use Land Cruisers. Beat plod use Focus estates and Astra hatches.

A while ago they had an unmarked Octavia silver vrS they used on traffic duties. This worked well for them as there are approximately 10million (well almost) silver Octavia private hire cars in Glasgow!

Have noticed though more and more 3 series estates coming on fleet instead of 5 series.

Both forces have had recent use of an Evo X car for testing purposes though I don't believe either force is taking the offer up.
What cars do the police near you use? - BobbyG
And as a little aside, anyone notice that as white becomes a popular car colour again, it coincides with the police changing from white to silver cars?
What cars do the police near you use? - Tornadorot
L&B also use at least one (marked) A3 Sportback around town. Would be interesting to find out how they justified that to the beancounters, instead of (say) an Octavia...

Have also seen unmarked silver BMW 3-series saloons in the area in the past, so now I always check the back windows of BMWs on the motorway for discreet flashing light installations :-)

Saw one of their unmarked Corsas a few years ago - only knew it was a police car because it had POLICE on the back of the sunvisor.

Edited by Typ 8L on 03/09/2009 at 17:34

What cars do the police near you use? - NickS
Suffolk are pretty standard.....

Marked;

Volvo V70
BMW 5 Series
Focii (estates)

Unmarked;
Mondeo ST220 Saloon
Silver Octavia vRS

My dad is from Nottingham, and on a visit to a sick realitve in the QMC when I was just a nipper, I always remeber being in awe of a marked Subaru Impreza :)
What cars do the police near you use? - daveyjp
W Yorks - Vauxhall, Vauxhall or Vauxhall!

Corsa, Astra and Vectras, in marked and unmarked versions. There's also an unmarked Volvo saloon which I often see on the M621.

Marked traffic cops are V70s and Range Rovers.
What cars do the police near you use? - redviper
For town use Vauxhall Astra's

Generally on the A1 near scotch corner, i have seen BMW's and Volvo estates

What cars do the police near you use? - ifithelps
A wide selection so far, but no Jaguars.

Gone are the days when Jags were fast and cheap and an almost automatic choice for the rozzers. - and the criminals they were chasing.

Another curious omission is the Ford Mondeo, which drives well, is (fairly) quick and, one imagines, would be very cheap for the police to buy.

And what about motorcycles?

I've only ever seen Honda Pan Europeans and BMWs.

What cars do the police near you use? - v8man
>>>> Why is the Volvo V70 so popular among the Police?

Two main reasons - firstly, as an estate it can carry lots of kit (and the Police like carrying lots of useful stuff around), and secondly, they find that they can modify it to install all of their gizmos on the dashboard fairly easily - which can't be said of every car.

Volvo actually have a police spec car with all the wiring ready installed.
What cars do the police near you use? - Paddler Ed
""Why is the Volvo V70 so popular among the Police?"
Two main reasons - firstly as an estate it can carry lots of kit (and the Police like carrying lots of useful stuff around) and secondly they find that they can modify it to install all of their gizmos on the dashboard fairly easily - which can't be said of every car."

The third option, and the main one, is that Volvo are one of the few manufacturers who have a dedicated Police spec car (along with any other emergency services.)

The main think is that the wiring loom is beefed up as is the alternator; there is no radio fitted so the police can fit their bits more easily, and it comes with a basic interior trim. There aren't any upgrades to the engines, but they did used to use slightly larger brakes on the 850 (302mm normally, which needed a particular style of 16"wheel to fit, as the noraml 16" wheel fouled on the caliper!)

Things like the horn pushes are wired to the sirens, and allow the driver to toggle between sirens without taking their hands of the wheel (or at least that's how I've seen a Paramedic spec V50 set up)

Up here in Lancs we have a mix of:
-BMWs
-Volvo S60, P2 V70 and new V70
-LR Discosverys
-Mitsubishi Shogun Sports (Rural Beat cars)
-Vauxhall Vectra 3.2
-Mondeos
-S-Max

So just a few... un-marked are often:
-BMW
-New V70's (Saw one today on the M61...)
-S60's
-S-Max (Often on the M55... how many people carriers do you see heading in and out of Blackpool?!)
What cars do the police near you use? - TheOilBurner
One I forgot: a late Vectra in SRi trim but fitted with the 2.8T V6 from the VXR.

Would make an excellent stealth buy if you're into ex-police cars, but not sure how a model that can't be bought "off the shelf" would be valued and insured?
What cars do the police near you use? - Lou_O
Honda Jazz, my wife's car is ex-police, formerly owned by Hampshire Constabulary.

Edited by Lou_O on 03/09/2009 at 11:29

What cars do the police near you use? - harry m
sussex police seem to use marked bmw & mercs estates on traffic/ unmarked silver bmw for same.focus and s-max and some 4x4s.
What cars do the police near you use? - mike hannon
Middle-aged Renault and Peugeot minibuses and the odd Clio. They seem to manage ok.
There's a picture in what now calls itself 'classiccars' magazine this month of a late 1960s Somerset Constabulary Jaguar Mk2 traffic car. I remember them well. Had cardboard trim instead of woodwork if I remember rightly.

Edited by mike hannon on 03/09/2009 at 12:00

What cars do the police near you use? - oldnotbold
Thames Valley have Astras for local plods, Vectra estates for traffic, Galaxies for Armed Response, the odd Land Rover LWB station wagon for rural use. Some of the unmarked are Vectra hatchbacks, but I'm not sure all are.
What cars do the police near you use? - Armstrong Sid
Slightly surprising the number of votes for Skoda Octavias.

Here in Nottingham it seems to have become the unmarked car of choice, because I'm sure they have at least a couple of them.

With people reminiscing about the lack of Jags, I also remember the days when Triumphs were very popular. Dolomite Sprints and 2500s were always used as marked and unmarked cars

What cars do the police near you use? - julie page
In Cheshire they had a Jag X type Jag for a short while, a while ago, not sure whether it was being evaluated or what.

I was pulled over by a Saab 95 near Oxford two or three years ago.

In Poland and Italy in the ski resorts Land Rovers are popular

Edited by julie page on 03/09/2009 at 14:10

What cars do the police near you use? - ndbw
Question brought back memories,just before the war Kent County Constablery used TA Type MG Midgets and TC Types After the war,they then went on to Daimler Dart 2.5 litrea also open two seaters ,I lived in north Kent which came in the Metropolitan Police area they used boring Humber and Wolesley saloons.

Did any other forces use sports cars?.

ndbw
What cars do the police near you use? - Cheeky
Yes, where have all the Jags gone? Chasing crims in a Volvo doesn't seem quite right does it....
What cars do the police near you use? - alfatrike
Yes where have all the Jags gone?

and i haven't noticed any piles of cardboard boxes either.
What cars do the police near you use? - Bilboman
The Ertzaintza (Basque police force) was first formed in the short-lived Republic of 1936, and Rileys were the pursuit car of choice. (Sic transit and all that...)
When the force was reconstituted in 1982, they had Renaults for years (18s, 19s, a couple of 21 Turbos on the motorways and Megane "pandas") before a sudden "breakthrough" about 5 years ago when they took delivery of half a million (seemed like it at the time!) Passat 4Motions. Far from standard spec, with runflat tyres and bomb and bullet proof windows and bodywork, owing to the still unresolved "political situation", which occasionally involves Molotov cocktails and the like. Don't know what engines they use but the cars go like stink.
When the cars and vans (locally built Vitos) reach the end of their contract, the Basque government donates them to NGO projects in Saharan refugee camps in Algeria, so it is not uncommon to see the odd superannuated, fully-liveried Ertzaintza van emerging from a sandstorm!
What cars do the police near you use? - oilfilter
Saw a mitsubishi i panda in Cirencester the other day.
What cars do the police near you use? - bimmer-driver
Cheshire constab seem to use V70s and Astras. Staffordshire use a lot of Focus estates. And the local village station had a liveried Nissan Terrano, now they've got a Nissan Pathfinder.
What cars do the police near you use? - Pugugly
North Wales - where I am this week. Focus Estates for response, Transit Connect CSI cans, BMW 530ds, Volvo V70s and XC90s as patrol cars. Naughty little R1200GS (in blue and red) for there mobile cameras, Unmakred VFR800s were used to catch motorcycling bad-boys. Saw a full marked Galaxy and sMAX as ARV (presumably). A friend was stopped by an unmarked VRSs whilst making progress. Merc Vitos as mobile cells.
What cars do the police near you use? - paul2007
Unmaked 5/3 BMW's, Astras, Zafaria, Meriva, cars 5/6 years old, fords, auxhall, renualt/etc - theyare a crafty lot - lol. oh, clio appears to be a fav.
There is a Home Office "approved List" of vehicles that police forces may use from. (In other words, if it ain't on teh list, you ain't using it!) Has anyone got access to it, I wonder? Probably a State Secret, unlike details of registered keepers, yours for a couple of smackers from the DVLA...
Personal favourites of police cars I have seen on British roads
1. Coolest ever: XJS 3.6 (Warwickshire, 1980s)
2. Dullest: Hyundai Accent (Dorset, locally sponsored.)
3. Chavviest: BMW X3 (Hants)
4. Most imposing: BMW 5 / Mercedes E (lots of forces) / Lexus GS 450(Wilts)
5. Scariest: Subaru Impreza / Mitsubishi EVO (various) / Lexus IS-F (Humberside)
6. Most controversial: Isuzu Trooper (Leics CC faced a lot of flak for eschewing LR at the time)
7. Most loyal to local brands: Jaguar, Rootes/Talbot, Peugeot (Warwickshire)
8. Most comical: Smart (last seen patrolling Poole Harbour, Dorset)
9. Most unlikely: Lotus Exige (only for show, like the Esprit 20 years ago. Or maybe not...)
10. Most pro-Volvo: Hants (Volvos since 1966!)
I don't think there is an approve list per se - I used to shoot with the local Police Business Manager, they basically bought what they want for local use.
What cars do the police near you use? - v8man
Polegate traffic here in Eastbourne have a nice mettalic grey Golf R32!
What cars do the police near you use? - PhilDS
I live in Bucks but very close to the borders of Beds, Herts and Northants:

TVP
Pandas are diesel Astras
Traffic are Vectra estates
Unmarked are Vectra Hatches
ARV are SMAXs

Herts
Pandas are diesel Astras
Unmarked are Vectra hatches

Beds
Pandas are diesel Astras
ARV are SMAXs

Notice a pattern?!

Northants pandas are Foci. Makes a nice change!

I work in West London
Pandas are diesel Astras
Fast response are Vectra 3.0 diesels or BMW 325d Tourers
Motorway use 530d Tourers
ARV use 530d saloons
I also see a few Shoguns and the odd Range Rover

Growing up in Manchester I remember Capri 3.0 & 2.8, Astra GTE, Sierra XR4x4 and Cosworth. Much more interesting!

Edited by PhilDS on 05/09/2009 at 01:18

Couple of interesting articles about how BMW and Volvo gradually won their (police) stripes:
BMW: tinyurl.com/lfe6kr
Volvo: tinyurl.com/mfrtd7
And a very detailed article about 50 years of motorway policing: tinyurl.com/kltknm
Happy reading!
I was stopped in the 70s in Moss Side by a pair of female Officers in an unmarked Lotus Sunbeam. I'd jumped a red light - only my chiselled goo looks and oodles of charm got me off with a warning. (or so I thought at the time)
What cars do the police near you use? - Fullchat
Humberside:

Protons, Protons and Protons :-[ for normal beat duties. Volvo Estates, Skoda VRS's and a smattering of EVOs.

Just one redeemer:

www.lincah.com/2009-lexus-is-f-police-car

Edited by Fullchat on 06/09/2009 at 21:55