What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - tmt
Hi.

I've been looking at the Ford Mondeo and the Skoda Octavia, both diesel variants.

The Mondeo has always played in the top end of its class but, from what I can see and what I've heard, the Octavia may be equally as good an option.

Can any owners and/or those who have driven these cars give me your opinions?

- Which engine is better; the Ford TDCi or the Volkswagen TDi?

- Driving dynamics; which one can be swept in to the corners more efficiently?

- Cabin experience; which one is the most comfortable to drive?

- Reliability; which one is more reliable? Parts are cheaper for the Mondeo but, would it prove to be more problematic than the Octavia?

For me, it's not about looks and/or the badge appeal. So, which car is the better one to go for, in terms of the technical/logistical aspects (above) and the driving experience, and why?

Thanks!
03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - Alby Back
Well, I've had 3 Mondeo mk111 diesel estates. All run to big miles and never had a moment's trouble with any of them. The current one has not so much as a squeak or a rattle and is well on in mileage. As for the Skoda, also a fine car. I had one on hire a while back and drove it for over 1000 miles in three days. Very nice car indeed.

The Mondeo is considerably bigger in terms of passenger accomodation and loadspace and in my opinion handles more neatly.

Bottom line ? I'd be pleased with either, but in my case I'd have the Ford.
03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - Altea Ego
- Which engine is better; the Ford TDCi or the Volkswagen TDi?

The Ford is smoother and quieter, the VW is more reliable (as long as it has proper oil)
- Driving dynamics; which one can be swept in to the corners more efficiently?

the ford every time
- Cabin experience; which one is the most comfortable to drive?

the ford has better ride, better cabin, better ergonomics
- Reliability; which one is more reliable? Parts are cheaper for the Mondeo but
would it prove to be more problematic than the Octavia?

DMF failures more likely in the ford, the Ford is less happy with misfueling gproblems which may have happened in its past.
For me it's not about looks and/or the badge appeal. So which car is the
better one to go for in terms of the technical/logistical aspects (above) and the driving
experience and why?

the driving eperience is far better in the ford, but by choosing either you wont go far wrong.

03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - tmt
Thank you both very much for your replies! They're very much appreciated!

Are the DMF failures in Mondeos only an issue with the factory-fitted DMFs? Or, is there a possibility the problem may reoccur, even if the DMF was replaced prior to failure (i.e. is the fault in relation to the original factory-fitted part, or due to the nature of the flywheel in operation)?

Thanks!
Dunno, never had one fail in..let's see....350,000 miles across three cars.......

edit - mind you , I suppose they could have been replaced before I got them. They were all second hand. Hadn't thought of that......

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 15/11/2008 at 19:12

03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - The Melting Snowman
Don't like diesels but the Mondeo would get my vote on account of its more acceptable refinement. That VAG TDI is a noisy thing.
03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - Pugugly
Rough as a bear's whatsit - especially after BMW's proper diesels.
03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - The Melting Snowman
A BMW straight-six diesel is about the only diesel I would tolerate.
I'm seriously looking at a Subaru diesel next year.
PU - Soon you will be old. Buy an Alfa before it's too late. You can do the "Japanese retirement chariot" bit later when you start favouring beige shoes and blouson jackets teamed with matching elastic waisted slacks. Get a grip man......

;-)
Aha Humph best of both worlds - boxer engine and Japanese reliability.
That's interesting. Come to think of it the Octavia diesel estate I drove was really nice but come to think of it it did seem quite noisy by comparison to my Mondeo. Used the Mondy at lunchtime today but just been out in the petrol Signum. Petrols really are soooo much smoother.
03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - Happy Blue!
Just a pity Subaru didn't design a nice 6-cyl boxer diesel at the same time. Usual Japanese problem of jumping on the bandwagon and building only one variant where more would be useful.
03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - spikeyhead {p}
They are both good cars. The Mondeo is bigger and a slightly more refined cabin space.

Personally I'd choose either and decide on what a good local dealer has in stock rather than being too fussy about one or the other. When my Mondeo tdci (currently 158k miles on it) finally dies its likely to be replaced with an Octavia, purely because I want something slightly smaller.
03/53 - Ford Mondeo TDCi or Skoda Octavia TDi - CGNorwich

I currenly drive an Octavia 1.9 TDI. O previusly owned a C Max with the 2.0 TDCI engine.

The Ford engine is undoubtedly the smoother and quieter but the TDI is far more economical and is more than up to the job. A great motorway cruiser. Ford ownership was a litany of problems. Eleven visits to the dealer for problems from windscreen wipers to door locks in the warranty period Culminated in a DMF failure after 45,000 miles costing me the best part of a grand.

Only visit to Skoda dealer in the first 19,000 mile has been for a 10,000 mile service

Skoda definitely better put together and cabin a nice place to be. Some find the seats on he hard side but I find them supportive on a long drive. Would not go back to a Ford