What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
07 1.8 Heated front screen - Ben 10
Noticed that only half my HFS was working. Spoke to Ford for advice. Took off wipers and windscreen trim at base of screen. Saw the problem. The ribbon like electric connection was broken. Cannot be replaced as one end is bonded to the screen. Can anyone advise with a heath robinson way of connecting the two pieces of ribbon safely and able to make it work again. Otherwise it will have to be a £75 insurance job.
07 1.8 Heated front screen - jimbano
Surely if the car is as new as an 07 reg, then this should be a warranty repair? Technically it's a wiring fault so should be covered.
According to the Ford dealership, screens are a grey area. It would be changed within the 1st year free. Outside this they check for stone chips and other gremlins to get out of replacing. When I took the car in the service guy noticed that the screen had been replaced. So not a Ford part. So no warranty repair anyway. It appears the screen fitter has severed the connection while fitting screen on one side. Thus the choice of forking out £75 access or doing a make do job, hence the post. I am the 2nd owner, previously a hire vehicle, so it would be difficult for a number of reasons to track down the previous fitters and cash in on their guarantee.
Any suggestions for a repair would be helpful.
07 1.8 Heated front screen - jimbano
I'm not familiar with the ribbon type wire you talk about, but if there is enough length on both sides of the severed ribbon, it may be possible to trim back the insulation enough to resolder the wires?

Failing that, an insurance claim for a windscreen seems likely.
07 1.8 Heated front screen - Saltrampen
How long have you had the car? If within 6 months of buying it, you might be able to claim fault must have been present at time of sale and claim off the original dealer...Did it work when you bought the car?
07 1.8 Heated front screen - mfarrow
As in the ribbon cable inside your computer?
No, its about quarter inch wide and like a copper coloured texture of foil. This loops from the screen bottom edge to the rest of the loom. It appears from the posts that this bit of electrickery is rarely seen unless you are present when such a screen is installed/replaced, as it is hidden from the engine compartment by the windscreen trim that surrounds the wipers.

Edited by scribe on 31/10/2008 at 14:06

07 1.8 Heated front screen - Screwloose

Does it look solderable?
Looks delicate, but might be the only solution. If the wiring is within the foil then I'm knackered.
07 1.8 Heated front screen - Astret

Hey Ben10, did you ever have any luck with this? I have the exact same problem, also an ex-hire car. Though they claim the windscreen is now causing an unspecified electrical fault (this is the third supposed 'cause', I think they're having me on!).

Astret.

07 1.8 Heated front screen - mfarrow
Only thing I can think this is, is copper braid - which will solder, but go stiff once you saturate it.

Maybe (?) staple it together before applying heat.

Edited by mfarrow on 31/10/2008 at 17:37

07 1.8 Heated front screen - Fullchat
Would the copper braid from the inside of TV aerial wire help with the repair? Easy to source.