What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - gordonbennet
This is a general question for all vehicles, not just my own.

I have replacement discs all round my car, the merc above, when i wash my car within half an hour the discs have turned reddish brown with a coating of rust, the originals took much longer i'm sure.

I wash the hilux (on originals) at the same time, that can stand for 2 or 3 days after washing, no rust on the discs.

There's nothing wrong with these replacement discs, the stopping power of the car is phenominal.

So why the quick rusting?
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - doctorchris
They use a different disc material these days to compensate for asbestos-free pads.
You know, I would swear that my old 1976 Honda CJ250 motorcycle actually had a stainless steel front disc. It never wore, nor did it corrode. Never stopped the bike very well, either but thats a different matter.
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - steve
I think the old jap bikes were stainless - thats one of the reasons they did not work in the wet! Friend of mine road his one day old Suzuki GT750 right into the back of a car when it rained.
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - Screwloose

Good old Indian cast-iron.
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - TurboD
I found my VW van could go weeks with no rust in winter when unused, but a Renault I had the discs would rust overnight. They mustbe different quality out there, but I do not know to judge it from just looking .
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - roosterbooster
only surface corrosion no need to worry
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - Roger Jones
Just curious: are the new discs MB OEM or from a motor factor?
The replacements are good quality, but from one of the usual two suppliers of parts, not MB genuine parts.
(TBH i should get a quote from MB for parts like these, as they're exhausts are probably only 20% more expensive than pattern parts but last infinately longer.)

No issues with them whatsoever, they run true, the car stops effortlessly (huge 4 piston calipers at the front), but they get a surface rusting in minutes.

In fact i washed both vehicles yesterday, the hilux discs show no disclouration whatsoever, but the aftermarket MB ones look like they've stood out for weeks.
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - oilrag
It looks like not everything`s waxhoyled then GB ;)

Looks like you`re paying the price of having an eagle eye for detail... can`t you just stick steel wheels and plastic trims on to cover it up? ( saw you as an Old School, steel wheel traditionalist, but you`ve moved to alloys)
;)

Edited by oilrag on 29/06/2008 at 13:01

It looks like not everything`s waxhoyled then GB ;)
Looks like you`re paying the price of having an eagle eye for detail...

Touche..its a fair cop guv.

Do get with the program OR, can't possibly have steel wheels on the luxobarge, what would the servants say..;) and i wouldn't be able to show off my oh so fashionable self adhesive Brembo caliper covers...;) incredibly people actually buy them off of the old flea bag.
96 3.2 replacement discs rust quickly - Roger Jones
I fitted new discs to my W126: £148 from MB (before the discount I normally get) and £87 from Euro Car Parts. Knowing that the ECP product was OEM quality anyway (ATE -- probably the same manufacturer), I opted for them. No problems.

It's always worth checking prices. Sometimes the MB price is close to the best-quality price from ECP or GSF. On exhausts, I favour MB, although with good brands such as Eberspächer and HJS from the other sources I doubt that there is much to worry about, although you do see people claiming that the quality is distinctly inferior, OEM category or not.

Just in case it helps others, here's a note from the ECP site:

"If you have more than one part number showing on the search results page - check the first 8 digits, if they are identical in more than 1 of the parts showing, the difference between them is their make. For example: 332456780, 332456781 and 332456785 are all water pumps for a Saab except '0' indicates 'Original Equipment Manufacture', '1' indicates 'Alternative Quality Brand' and '5' indicates 'Genuine Part'."