What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 1.4 se knocking/tapping sounds from gearbox - Diet
Hi all,

I have a strange tapping/knocking noise coming from what i believe is the gear box or clutch,

It only happens when your in gear and driving, it will stop when the clutch is depressed or the car is not in gear, It is goes in a rhythm and gets faster as the car gets faster, Its like the sound of a train or very old diesel engine,

Any ideas what it could be????

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by Pugugly on 17/04/2008 at 21:42

I've found out its the Gearbox bearings that have gone, but there is some question as to whether or not its covered under my warranty, if its not has anyone got any ideas how much I should be looking to spend??

Edited by Pugugly on 18/04/2008 at 09:44

01 1.4 se knocking/tapping sounds from gearbox - Falkirk Bairn
Se attached Civic/Jazz Gearbox - rebuilds range from £400-£1200!
01 1.4 se knocking/tapping sounds from gearbox - Falkirk Bairn
OOPs sorry

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=59...0
Thank you, ive just been quoted £443 + VAT from a Honda Dealer and £504 + VAT From a transmission specalist,

I only bought the car 3 weeks ago from a dealer!! This is all insane
01 1.4 se knocking/tapping sounds from gearbox - Pugugly
What about a warranty ?
apparently its 'wear and tear' grrrr im talkign with the place i bought it from now but they are 300 miles away :( Havnt had to quote the Sale of goods Act yet but i will go down that road if i have to..

Ohh and the AC dont work.... lol another brilliant buy by me !!!!! lol
01 1.4 se knocking/tapping sounds from gearbox - kirklander73
have a look at this..

www.honestjohn.co.uk/redirect.php?http://www.hones...3

hope it helps!!

Edited by Pugugly on 19/04/2008 at 11:32

Ok just to give you an update.

It was the Gearbox bearings that were smashed,

it cost in all £1027.50 to repair,

The warranty did not cover it one bit, and the Dealer does'nt want to know, so he will be taken to court.
01 1.4 se knocking/tapping sounds from gearbox - robroy
Hi - If you intend to pursue this though the Small Claims County Court I would advise you to obtain a detailed audit trail - did you for example offer [written request] to deliver the car to the dealer, in order for him to rectify the fault, and mitigate the cost of unertaking the work, assuming he had an in-house repairs unit? - was his negative reply in writing? Personally, I would seek [written request] an amount approximately equating to what it would have cost the dealer to undertake the repair.

However, the best chance of a result, as the dealer is located many miles away, is to instigate court proceedings for the full amount [and any incidental costs], at the local court of your choice, which is your perogative, as you are instigating the action, and just hope that he capitulates due to the inconvenience and hastle involved...if however he decides to contest it, I wish you well!

PS. Apologies if it's a case of 'grannies sucking eggs!'