What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1991 mk5 1.3 bleeding brakes nightmare! - mak
Hi all and hope you can help me as I am desperate.

Whilst bleeding the brakes to replace the fluid, I have run into a few problems concerning the rear brake drums. I use a bleeding kit that works off the tyre pressure. I raised the right rear, removed the wheel, unscrewed the bleed screw....no fluid coming out. I don't think the car has any load compensation devices. As no fluid coming out is fluid going in to the cylinder to work the brake?
On the left rear, the bleed screw would not budge. tried gentle tapping around area and releasing fluid to no joy. Screw now starting to get 'rounded' by proper brake spanner so tried clamping wrench as last resort to no avail. Had no trouble with both front disc brakes.
It looks as though I will have to replace both rear brake cylinders but I am sure this will present its problems. The bolts holding the cylinders are not that accessable and can just get a spanner onto them but these are going to be very rusty and probably will not undo with a spanner. Any thoughts how best to go about getting these off and how do I keep the brake flexible hoses from being twisted when connecting to new cylinders?
Garages must experience these problems...how do they cope?
Thanking you for sharing your knowledge and experience.
Mak
1991 mk5 1.3 bleeding brakes nightmare! - maltrap
did you try removing the bleed nipple completely and checking the hole in it was clear?the pipe that goes into the brake cylinder is solid with a nut that screws into the cylinder.
1991 mk5 1.3 bleeding brakes nightmare! - mak
Maltrap
Yes, actually unscrewed the bleed nipple and took it out, hole clear and no fluid coming from cylinder with it out! Sorry, didn't understand your latter statement.

Mak
1991 mk5 1.3 bleeding brakes nightmare! - yorkiebar
With respect, its brakes and they are pretty important.

If you are not sure of how to remove a cylinder or to see if its a hose causing the blockage or master cylinder etc then I strongly suggest a visit to a garage.

Local independant would not be expensive for this.