What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2.2 TDCi-Smokes when accelerating/economy not good - Monsieur Kev
My 2.2 TDCi Titanium estate had to have a new engine, turbo, catalytic converter, oil cooler etc in August, after the turbo allowed sump oil into the combustion chambers. The car was ten months old and had covered just 17,500 miles. If I had to pay the bill, it would have been £7,800.00.

This new engine runs much better than the last, however since I got it back it produces loads of exhaust smoke under hard acceleration and I struggle to get more than 35 mpg, even though most of my motoring is on an autoroute/motorway at sensible speeds. It hasn't used any engine oil even though I have covered almost 5,000 kms since the new engine was put in.

It also smokes quite a bit on start up which it didn't do before with the previous engine.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/10/2007 at 20:07

Smoking when accelerating/economy not brilliant - Aprilia
Two options I think:

1. Sell it.
2. Camp outside the dealer until they fix it and it runs perfectly. Its obviously over-fuelling.

One of these cars that's not running perfectly is like a grenade with the pin out (financially speaking).
Smoking when accelerating/economy not brilliant - Monsieur Kev
Since I wrote this post, a coolant hose came off on the right hand side of the engine as you stand in front of the car. The jubille clip had pbviously not been tightened up properly when the new engine was fitted. It took 4,000 kms to come off and pump anti freeze all over te engine in a traffic jam in Rouen, France.

I pulled off the road right opposite the main fire station and the pompiers came running out with their extinguishers thinking that I was on fire. I called Ford Assist France and Mondial sent out this French breakdown guy who looked like an egg with legs. Fortunately the problem was easy to find and resolve, but the twit had no water on his tow truck. So te French Pompiers took me into their workshop and gave me three litres of four seasons anti freeze. They would not acept any payment and I was on my way after a couple of hours.

Thw day I collected this car from deleted after the engine was put in, the brakes completely failed on the A16 autoroute in northern France near Le Touquet. The engineer had not refitted the front off side flexible brake hose properly and all the fluid had leaked out previously as I drove home. As I came off the autoroute at junction 24, the brake pedal went straight to the floor. I put on the handbrake and the car spun and went off the road. NO damage, but the Ford dealership in France chargd me for fitting a new brake hose even though the car was under warranty and under a year old!

I have taken a legal action out against Ford and my solicitor is right at this moment formulating the claim.

Yes I would like to get rid of this car, but it is just a year old with 36,000 kms on the clock. I will lose loads. To add insult to injury, my last Mondeo a 2004 130 TDCi Ghia which I sold to a friend, has been perfect over the last year!!

Anyway, you reckon it is simply overfuelling? Is this because the fuel pump was not recalibrated properly when the new engine went in?

Also I no longer have the Ford pink atni freeze, but this French pompier garage green four season stuff. Is it OK for the MOndeo engine?

Cheers

Edited by Webmaster on 01/02/2008 at 01:35

Smoking when accelerating/economy not brilliant - Aprilia
Anyway you reckon it is simply overfuelling?

Overfuelling? Yes.

Simply? No. There is nothing simple about these fuel systems.
Also I no longer have the Ford pink atni freeze but this French pompier garage
green four season stuff. Is it OK for the MOndeo engine?

Probably it will be OK, but ideally flush and fill with Ford OE coolant. Sounds like its the least of your worries at present though!
Smoking when accelerating/economy not brilliant - Monsieur Kev
Thanks.

I have got the car booked in for Monday 2nd, for the garage here in France to have a look over the car, change the anti freeze and possibly the oil and filter. It is normal in France if you have a new engine put in, that you take it back after 2,000 kms for it to be checked over.

I didn't bother and ended up with that hose coming off.

They will also look into the overfuelling.