What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - ziggy
Reminds me of Knightrider... not in a bad way (what impresses teenager in the 80s, looks like a cheap heap today)

Everying about this car suggests it is a sporting drive: low driving position which is a novelty for todays cars, drilled aluminium pedals, knatty gear box (which worries me as it is not clear how 6th is distinguished from reverse). Then there is the injun noise and of course the needless rear spoiler.

Yes it has everything you'd want in a sports car ... except the power..! At least mine only has 1.4 so there is absolutely no torque. 6th feels the same as 2nd. The only acceleration sensation is when you first touch the throttle, especially on fast idle. After that, nothing.

Honda Civic - cheddar
....... and (if you are talking about the new Civic) design by Steve Jobs, will date quickly.

Re the 1.4 engine, it is surely free revving and crisp, use the revs, an ex-colleague had a Jazz (same engine I guess), that was nice and free revving though failed at 50k and needed a new engine, IIRC Honda were not interested because not serviced to schedule, it was on lease so they had it repaired by an indy (2nd hand engine) and sent it back to the lease company.
Honda Civic - nortones2
Can't say our Jazz likes revs: its reluctant to go above 5000, and makes an odd "boxy" noise above 4000. The 2 valve engine is no ball of fire. reminds me of small VW engines. As HJ says, the 1.5 vtec would be a lot pokier:0
Honda Civic - Baskerville
....... and (if you are talking about the new Civic) design by Steve Jobs will
date quickly.

I think the Apple approach is more comparable with Audi's design strategy, which seems to be not to change things radically very often. In order to do that you need designs that don't date. So a five or even ten year-old Audi still fits in with the current model line; it's still recognisably an Audi. As for Apple the current MacBook Pro is roughly the same external design as the Powerbook circa. 2001, while the Mac Pro with its 8-core chipset sits in more or less the same box as the 2003 G5; you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. Honda on the other hand tends to change its designs entirely with every new iteration of the model. If you took the badges off a current Civic you wouldn't know it was a Honda just from looking at it. It bears no relation at all to the previous Civic. More like Dell, really. I agree this one will date quickly.
Honda Civic - mal
I am a Honda devotee but the latest Civic design I do not like, looks like something created by a prop designer for a film set in the future!!.
Honda Civic - OldSkoOL
The new civic was a real eye opener when it was launched. Quirky car all-round and thats why it worked, nothing else for it to compete against. Coupled with Honda reliability it makes a good car.

I can't enjoy the design anymore its very radical and now its established it just seems like they tried too hard. The guy across the road has one and seeing it everyday makes you realize the novelty soon wears off.

Can't help but think citroen did similar things with hatch 3door / sport version of their C4. Very odd proportions.

I think what makes a quality car is the small touches, the attention to detail not radical overhauls.
Honda Civic - Pendlebury
>>which worries me as it is not clear how 6th is distinguished from reverse<<

This is not a problem as there is a lock out mechanism to prevent you going from 5th to reverse.
Honda Civic - Avant
I think it's one of those designs that is making a 'statement' - but someone has forgotten what the statement is. Or maybe the (excellent) designer who did the front end (up to the B-pillar) didn't meet the (inferior) rear-end designer until too late in the proceedings.

It looks great (I think) at the front - and the 2.2 diesel that I tried was very good to drive. Seats very good and it shares the Jazz's versatility. But the dumpy-looking back end, the silly spoiler, the appalling three-quarter blind spot and the lack of a bidet (rear wash-wipe) sadly combine to knock it off my shortlist. A Civic Tourer would be a great idea for those like me who don't need something quite as long as the Accord Tourer.
Honda Civic - Altea Ego
Now aint that strange. I think the front looks like a poor imitation of a bad Buck Rogers comic front page , and the back looks rather smart.

Goes to show that on any count its a bold design.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Honda Civic - Brian Tryzers
Agreed, Avant. The chromed plastic doorhandles are horrid too. Have you tried a Verso yet? I've tried all sorts of wheezes to draw your attention to my 'Impressions' post
( www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=53...5 )
but to no avail. Next step may involve mooning (sorry, mods) so get yerself over there and have a look!
}:---)
Honda Civic - RobC
I thought it was a radical departure from Honda to design and build something so futuristic, especially when we are talking about a family five door hatchback. I just wish they would dump the i-shift gearbox and replace it with a conventional automatic.
Honda Civic - ziggy
I thought it was a radical departure from Honda to design and build something so
futuristic especially when we are talking about a family five door hatchback.

Futuristic in the sense of 1970s science fiction and Tomorrows World..

Wouldn't be out of place on "Logan's Run".

Honda Civic - mike hannon
The front looks to me just like a wider version of a motor scooter. Presumably Honda wants teenagers who have bought its two-wheelers to make the progression.
The front of the Civic hybrid looks about right to me.
I thought about a Civic but no way would I want i-shift or whatever they call it. I know about the emissions angle but it seems a great shame to have gone that way when Honda made so many excellent autoboxes of their own design.
Honda Civic - DP
I too am unconvinced on the front end, particularly that cheesy looking shiny grille, but I think the side and rear views are fantastic. I think the interior looks great as well.

In fact when I was looking at a recent test of the Type R in one of the mags, I remember thinking how that model's interior looked the most appealing of any mainstream car I've seen for a long time. The seats, fantastic dash styling and red accents made it all look very inviting.

If only it didn't have that infernal VTEC engine it would probably be a lovely car.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
97 Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Chicane (for sale)
Honda Civic - OldSkoOL
THe front shiny grill reminds me of those cheap flashes for cameras you used to get in the 80's.

Maybe something like this : www.theothermartintaylor.com/moveabletype/archives...g

But you used to get those oblong cameras with flash bulbs looks like one of them too

Honda Civic - Mad Maxy
Latest Civic = jelly mould.
Honda Civic - Galad
According to the latest Which? survey the new Honda Civic is breaking the Honda mould in terms of reliability - owners have reported problems with the fuel system, steering and suspension.
Honda Civic - ziggy
I can live with all the 'bad things' said about the Civic... but I cannot live with the infuriating beeping reminder to put your seatbelt on.

That to me is reason enough to walk out of the showroom.
Honda Civic - OldSkoOL
All jap built cars have these saftey beeps. Infact most jap cars share the same parts and design companies. You will see the same types of buttons, steering wheels components in an imprezza that will see in a toyota.
Honda Civic - Altea Ego
you could try putting the seat belt on? that might fix it?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
'Infernal VTEC engine'?
Only a Ford owner could say something like that...;-)
Honda Civic - DP
Only a Ford owner could say something like that...;-)

Great fun for half an hour. Then it gets on my nerves when I start asking why I should have to have 6000 RPM on the clock before it feels any quicker than a shopping car?

Fine on a track - hopeless on the road. IMHO. :-)

Cheers
DP

--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Great fun every day, anywhere. The point of VTEC is that you don't have to have 6000 rpm up. But when you do...
Hope your Fiesta isn't a mobile 'Chicane'! ;-)
Honda Civic - DP
Hope your Fiesta isn't a mobile 'Chicane'! ;-)

Against a Type R in a straight line, most probably it would be :-)

Don't get me wrong, I can see the attraction of VTEC and there's no doubting the engineering brilliance behind it, but all that VTEC rush to the redline does for me is make me wonder what the engine is doing over the other 6,000 RPM apart from being very ordinary?

I'd rather lose 2,000 RPM off the top end and have proper grunt all the way through. I'd rather have a Golf GTI or Focus ST personally.

But each to their own. :-)

Cheers
DP

--
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Honda Civic - ziggy
you could try putting the seat belt on? that might fix it?

I always wear a seatbelt. As I am neither a moron, nor mentally defunct, I can do without the beeper..!

Honda Civic - daveyjp
In my new A3 review I mentioned Audi no longer showed the warning symbol or beeped when a passenger didn't put their seatbelt on. I've now found out only the warning symbol stays on for the driver too. No more beeping and I'm not missing it! I do use my seatbelt, but having to put it on or suffer the beeping when shuffling cars around at home was tiresome.
Honda Civic - RichardW
ISTR BMW had to resubmit one of their cars to NCAP as the lack of seatbelt beeper meant only 4* rather than 5*. Which probably says more about NCAP than anything else....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Honda Civic - Altea Ego
and on renaults, the extra point tipped them into 5* from 4*
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Honda Civic - Pendlebury
>>All jap built cars have these saftey beeps. Infact most jap cars share the same parts and design companies. You will see the same types of buttons, steering wheels components in an imprezza that will see in a toyota. <<

I can't let that one go by unchallenged - the statement above is complete nonsense. I agree that certain units for alot of Jap cars may be sourced from the likes of Denso such as the alternator or air con units etc but to say that most jap cars share the same parts and design companies is simply not true.

Did the safety beep thing start from MB and their euroncap tests ? I once read (I think) that the C class got it's 5th safety star from the addition of a safety beep.
Honda Civic - bunglesprout
I do use my seatbelt but having to put it on or suffer the
beeping when shuffling cars around at home was tiresome.

That must have been terrible for you. Have you considered therapy to come to terms with it?