What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Small diesel auto - tmole99uk
Hi All

I am looking for some advice on which car I should get for me mum(bless her)

She is getting on and now needs an auto but seems addicted to diesel.

What is the best small diesel auto / semi auto or is there a decent petrol one? Not my area so I don't have a clue.

I like the Honda Jazz 7 speed thing but as it's petrol, it's being sniffed at :-) LOL

Her budget is around £8500 plus P reg diesel Fiesta

Any help would be really great :-)

Thanks a million.

Ruth
Small diesel auto - daveyjp
First one which springs to mind is the smart forfour.
Small diesel auto - local yokel
You do have to ask your mum why she thinks diesel is so great for her. Does she do around 20,000 miles a year, or more?

She will in my opinion be wasting money if she buys a diesel auto just because it does 5-10 mpg more than a petrol. She might not even see that advantage in real life driving, and she's unlikely to get a payback on the higher cost of the car for a very long time, if ever.
Small diesel auto - machika
How small? Is Focus size too big? What kind of age of car is she lookin at?
Small diesel auto - boxsterboy
You do have to ask your mum why she thinks diesel
is so great for her. Does she do around 20 000
miles a year or more?
She will in my opinion be wasting money if she buys
a diesel auto just because it does 5-10 mpg more than
a petrol. She might not even see that advantage in real
life driving and she's unlikely to get a payback on the
higher cost of the car for a very long time if
ever.

You know there are quite a few of us out there who prefer diesels for the way they drive.

And there is absolutely no way that a diesel will ever do only 5-10 mpg more than a petrol! Get real!
Small diesel auto - Cardew
You know there are quite a few of us out there
who prefer diesels for the way they drive.
And there is absolutely no way that a diesel will ever
do only 5-10 mpg more than a petrol! Get real!

So tell us the difference between the way diesel automatics drive over petrol automatics?

Personally I think 5-10 mpg difference is not unrealistic for an autobox in everyday driving.
Small diesel auto - boxsterboy
Well, it's the torque. In order to get performance from a petrol auto you generally have to rev it more than a diesel. Higher revs , like for like, means burning more fuel. The torque of a diesel gives you a quicker shove at lower revs, without the need for reving. On the crowded roads of the south-east this has more relevance to everyday driving. It's not just because of company car tax rules that sales of diesels have increased the way they have over the past decade. Yes, if we all lived in the sticks and only ever drove on empty country roads, I dare say we would drive more high-reving petrol-engined cars.

I think local yokel was saying that the difference between a petrol auto and a diesel auto would be 5-10 mpg max, if at all. My medium-sized diesel auto does 44mpg in town. I know that if it had a petrol engine, it would give less than 30mpg, judging on previous manual petrol cars I have driven in the same conditions.
Small diesel auto - machika
I like the Honda Jazz 7 speed thing but as it's
petrol it's being sniffed at :-) LOL
Her budget is around £8500 plus P reg diesel Fiesta
Any help would be really great :-)
Thanks a million.
Ruth

I like the Jazz CVT too but they are pricey. They return very good mpg also. Another petrol alternative is the Suzuki Swift, which would fit the budget, if she is looking for a car not older than 1 year. My wife has one and she loves it.
Small diesel auto - SteVee
What about the Mitsubishi Colt diesel allshift ?
Easy entry/exit - similar to Jazz.
If she prefers diesel then that does restrict her choice considerably, but I do know how difficult it can be to shift people's views!
Small diesel auto - oldbuffer
I have a diesel Mercedes B Class Auto, nice car to drive, very safe and easy to get in and out of. If you feel like changing gear you can use the auto box as a seven speed sequential box. Averages around town about 45mpg.
Small diesel auto - Armitage Shanks {p}
B class might be nice but I don't think OP will get one for £8.5K plus a P reg Fiesta!