60's transport special - Flat in Fifth
Fellow Backroomers,

I am so so sorry I forgot to post this earlier in the week, you all know how it is.

Tomorrow Sat 16th Severn Valley Railway is having a 60's transport special.

40 cars from the 60's, 20 trucks and buses from the same era will be on display at the various stations up and down the 16 mile Kidderminster to Bridgenorth line along the River Severn.

Rolling stock and trains from the 60's too.

First train 10:30, you can ride up and down all day.

further info @ www.svr.co.uk use the special events link.

Also note the classic vehicle day on Oct 13, last year was a fantastic day. Don't say I didn't give you enough warning about that one.

Considering the transport and steam train interest on the site I hope HJ and Martyn will forgive me for this blatant advert.
Re: 60's transport special - David Withers
Fifi -- Railway stuff is ALWAYS worth blatant advertising!

Pity you had to spoil it by including info about cars!
Re: 60's transport special - David W
David,

But without cars how would anyone get to a railway meet.........on the train?

David
Re: 60's transport special - phil ireland
David W. wrote:
without cars how?

Good service from Birmingham New Street to Kidderminster by rail will do the trick.

Phil.
Re: 60's transport special - phil ireland
forgot to mention what a super day this has been in past years.
always seems favoured with good weather . loads of classic psv's
offering rides to all sorts of places around the area.
Re: 60's transport special - Tomo
But I bet you can't get parked at Birmingham New Street!

Or if you do, something will happen to the car.
Re: 60's transport special - KB
Thanks to FIF for SVR details. Wouldn't mind some of that myself but can't make it, but good of you to give it a mention.

KB.
Re: 60's transport special - Ian Cook
What a pity we can't make this weekend. The SVR is a super steam railway and well worth a visit, even without the cars. At the risk of upsetting anyone though, I would give Kidderminster a miss.

Ian
But looking on the positive side, maybe you can get parked at Birmingham New street and maybe - just maybe, nothing will happen to your car.

There's nothing like putting the damper on things!

You might even wake up in the morning feeling fine and could possibly go through the day with out anything nasty happening......just possibly.

KB.
Re: 60's transport special - Flat in Fifth
It's a bit difficuult to park actually *at* New Street for a host of reasons, not least the fact that the Bull Ring is being redeveloped and the area is one huge builiding site. Last time I was there the station car park was 20 minutes free plus another 20 minutes for £1 IIRC.

Plenty of secure car parks not too far away though.

Kidderminster is not too far to drive and plenty of free parking at SVR.

As regards Ian's comments about avoid Kidde, know what you mean Ian it is a bit of a dump at the moment due to redevelopment of the town centre and the huge site previously occupied by carpet factories.
Re: 60's transport special - Martyn (Back Room moderator)
Carpet factories? In Kidderminster? I thought that was Axminster!
Re: 60's transport special - Flat in Fifth
Yes Martyn, huge ones. well late factories now like the Norwegian Blue parrot!

Actually the development of the carpet factories is a source of much amusement as in the development the council has bulldozed all the car parks and then wonders why no one comes to do any shopping any more.......doh!

Oh sorry they put in a park and ride, 12 seater minibus, service every 30 minutes.......double doh!

Martyn wrote....

Re: 60's transport special
Author: Martyn (Back Room moderator) (---.in-addr.btopenworld.com)
Date: 17-02-02 08:57

Carpet factories? In Kidderminster? I thought that was Axminster!

Good to see a mention of threads in a thread. BTW the motoring link here relates to nodding dogs seen in cars parked in Kidderminster Station car park recently. A number of car pets have been spotted and numbers noted down.

I'm off, I fear trouble looms.

KB.