What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Civic gear change 2004 - Dodge49
I have a 2004 honda civic 1.6se with about 21k. Overall i am happy with the car apart from an occasional very notchy gear change between 1st and 2nd when it feels like it is about to jump out of 1st. It seems to happen more when i am accelerating harder and when cold or warm possibly more when warm. My local honda dealer recently changed the gearbox mechanism or link (i think) under warranty which cured another problem where the gearstick would vibrate in 3rd gear. This improved the overall gear change between any gear which now feels more precise but this did not sort the 1st to 2nd problem. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Civic gear change 2004 - Scott H
Assuming the car is still under warranty (3 year?), and the dealer fixed your last problem with the gearbox satisfactorily, why not take it back there? From what I've read about Honda dealerships on these forums, I should imagine they will be understanding.

Scott
Civic gear change 2004 - Saltrampen
My 02 1.6 SE Civic sometimes used to do the same, it felt like that engine had repositioned slightly on the mountings after revving, anyway it seems to have become less of a problem with increased mileage. Although 1st to 2nd is a bit stiff if you rev hard in first...
Civic gear change 2004 - Dodge49
I visited the honda dealer today and booked it in next tuesday hopefully they will sought it under warranty (not be the clutch). I intend to drive down to france in the summer towing a small folding camper and would like it running perfectly. On a different thread, why is it that main dealers give the impression you are the first person to ever mention a particular problem with a car when a local (cheap) mechanic has good knowledge of many problems with many makes and models?
Civic gear change 2004 - Saltrampen
Depends who you speak to in the dealership, the service managers will often say your problem is unique. But at my local honda dealer, when a mechanic is sent out to test drive the car with you, he will often give you the low down. The "younger" mechanic who looks like he has a copy of max power in his overalls will usually be more open than the one who has his eye on the service manager's job. To be fair to Honda, they are usually very good with warranty stuff in my experience..