What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Glass polishing - James
The FAQ mentions professional repair of scratched windscreens. Has anyone attempted this for themselves? Mine only has fine wiper marks on it, but these are noticeable in bright sunshine (I seem to remember!) and it would be nice to be able to polish them out. I tried a wax-free paint restorer, but it makes no impact on glass, although it claims to contain aluminium oxide. Any ideas, or should I leave it to the professionals?
Re: Glass polishing - Chris Eglinton
Try Autoglym Fastglass or cream glass cleaner, all their products a really good.

Chris.
Re: Glass polishing - Nicholas Moore
Yes, but they won't remove wiper scratches. Wait until you get a stone chip, and have a new screen on the insurance.
Re: Glass polishing - James
I was trying to avoid that, in line with HJ's advice. The screen is bonded (pretentious way of saying 'glued' I think) and I don't want to disturb it unless I absolutely have to. Not sure what the purpose of the stuff is if it won't polish out wiper marks...
Re: Glass polishing - Andy
I agree with Chris re Autoglym, but if you have any Dura-glit under the sink it may be worth a go.
I spent years in the TV trade, and all the old-timers swore by Dura-glit for getting rid of fine scatches on CRT's.
I never believed them, as I thought it didn't contain any abrasive material. But one day I tried it, and blow me it worked!
Needs plenty of elbow-grease, though.
Re: Glass polishing - Alwyn
Watchmakers use jewellers rouge to polish and remove scratches from glass.
Re: Glass polishing - John
I have used jewellers rouge, done the job.
John P
Re: Glass polishing - ian (cape town)
yes.
But try it out on some very inconspicuous area first, to get the hang of it. (the bit at the top behind the rearview mirror, maybe). Then give the screen a damn good scrub with meths or similar before you start. Best done on a cloudy day or in the shade, to prevent you getting dazzled by the sun!
Re: Glass polishing - Justin Eidelburgher
Ceric oxide polishes glass very rapidly, if you can find a source....
I've not met that. Where would one look?
Re: Glass polishing - richard turpin
No wonder insurance is so expensive.
Thank you all for such prompt attention. It's the first time I've used this forum, and I'm amazed at the response!
Re: Glass polishing - Andy P
You can get most of the polishing grits from www.earthlines.co.uk/acatalog/Earthlines_Catalogue...l

Andy