What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - steveo3002
this rattles me a bit...wondered what you all think and is it worth a call to customer service

visited our local s**l filling the other week when it was fairly quiet out, the girlfriend went in to pay as i filled up, adn she came out complaining the worker had been smoking and stuck the fag out of sight when she went in..she really smelled bad of smoke and we just of out for the weekend in nice clean clothes..theres loads of no smoking signs everywhere as you would expect at a filling station

then, last night we go to fill up again and the lad on the counter was on his mobile phone to whoever, he didnt even stop talking or put the phone down and just jestured to inset the visa card etc and didnt even speak lol, yet mobile phones are also banned from being used

should i call head office...or go higher regarding the smoking bit...after all , all hell would break lose if there was a fire

smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - mss1tw
Same with the a Shell and the Totals near me
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Lud
Can't help wondering what steveo's point really is. If fear of a fireball, OK. But I must say it seems a bit fussy to imagine that you or yr wife/gf is somehow polluted by passing through a smoke-filled room. As a long-time on-off cigarette smoker - it's a hard addiction to beat - I become aware when not smoking that cigarette smoke clings and isn't all that pleasant, but what's the point of making such heavy weather of it? If your nose is that sensitive walking down the street in a big town in summer isn't going to be a happy experience. Or going on the tube.

Nor is the country a haven of agreeable scents. Just visit a hangar-like chicken unit or stand around downwind of a pig unit. That'll learn you.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - steveo3002
my point is....smoking near god knows how many gallons of fuel is brain dead

the check out girls in the supermarket dont smoke while serving why should they in a petrol station
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Pugugly {P}
"gallons" er.....litres - sorry just been reading the kilometers thread :-)

I love these till jockey types that mobile or text when they're meant to be serving you, I just stand a stare at them refusing to acknowledge increasingly violent gestures as they try and fail to multi task - or I get on my mobile and make an imaginary call complaining about them loudly.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - L'escargot
my point is....smoking near god knows how many gallons of fuel
is brain dead

And somewhat blasphemous as well.
--
L\'escargot.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Sprice
Find it hard to believe your gf smelled that strongly of smoke by just going in to pay...all of 45 seconds? Of course the lad shouldn't be smoking, but don't think you should grass him up, nor for using a mobile!
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Lud
Quite. If you hate it, get your fuel somewhere else.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - andymc {P}
It might seem hard to believe that one can smell so strongly of cigarette smoke after a very short "exposure", but unfortunately this is all too likely. I don't know whether it depends on the brand of cigarette, on a lot of fags being smoked in an enclosed space or whatever. I do know that I've had the experience of calling around to a former neighbour's apartment, standing in the suddenly smokey atmosphere as the door opened, handing over a parcel that had been left with me, and leaving again straight away. Time elapsed honestly couldn't have been more than 20 seconds ("This arrived for you" "Oh, thanks" "No problem, cheerio") but the smell of smoke from my skin and clothes was so strong that I had to shower and change. Wife thought so too.

This isn't me having a go at smokers - I just sometimes wonder if they realise how truly minging their odour can be. Sorry if this causes offence, but that's the most appropriate word I can think of. A brother-in-law is fairly particular when it comes to personal grooming habits (think Gavin Henson), but is a regular smoker. When he walks in after having had a fag outside, even though I might be sitting ten feet away the smell puts me in mind of my experiences visiting in homeless hostels. Ever sat next to a genuine, unwashed tramp, the sort that picks up the butt ends that other people chuck away and re-lights them? Mmmm, trampalicious.

Dragging this back in the general direction of "on-topic", I certainly wouldn't shop anywhere where I had to be exposed to cigarette smoke. I don't even go to the pub any more. I don't think that this particular shop assistant is at risk of igniting the next Buncefield, but for me at least, going into the smell of smoke in a shop would be as unexpected and unwelcome as that of an under-maintained public convenience.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
The staff are merely being impolite.Use another garage.
There is no ignition hazard in the shop/cash desk area and so smoking/phone use is not a worry.Look at cash till/light switches/alarm system etc.none of them will be certified for a hazardous area.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Roger Jones
I hate the general ban on smoking (although I no longer smoke), but if there was ever a site where there should be no smoking on any part of it at any time, it's a filling station. There are combustibles on the shelves of the shop. Contact:

Shell UK Customer Services - Retail
Customer Care
Ground Floor, Rowlandsway House
Rowlandsway
Wythenshawe
Manchester
M22 5SB

Freephone 0800 731 8888

Email mailto:retailcustomerservices@shell.com

And I'm typing this five miles from the Buncefield site.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Hamsafar
Why should I be steeped in someone's vile smoke?
I have found some customer services not very intested about other matters, as they are just a supplier to a privately owned station (certainly in my cases). They just get the station manager to phone you, in my case this was not suitable.

brand name - long queue, only one person on tills.
another brand name - price incorrect on sign board till could not accept less.
another brand name waited 5 mins for pip and chin machine which had 'frozen'.

As tempted as I was to delete this whole post, there was some stuff in it that is of some merit.

IL, next time the whole lot goes!

Hugo
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - BobbyG
As mentioned before, no risk in the shop from smoking, mobiles etc.

Depending on the site of the station, you can often have pedestrians walking along the pavement smoking away, only a couple of yards from the pumps!
Oh, and FWIW, I know a franchisee of petrol stations, quite often they are manned by only one person, and they are on the national minimum wage, to the exact penny.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - cheddar
Oh, and FWIW, I know a franchisee of petrol stations, quite
often they are manned by only one person, and they are
on the national minimum wage, to the exact penny.

Perhaps not the point, it is not the indivdual who should take the rap (though that have broken a rule at least) it is the management responsible for leaving them in charge.

I agree with Roger Jones, of all the places not to smoke then a filling station is one.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - mfarrow
Perhaps not the point, it is not the indivdual who should
take the rap (though that have broken a rule at least)
it is the management responsible for leaving them in charge.

Petrol stations at supermarkets are great fun compared with the main store. You're not being constantly monitored by the duty manager and there's very little to do at night apart from stack the shelves which takes all of 10 minutes, so you generally end up chatting and eating.
I agree with Roger Jones, of all the
places not to smoke then a filling
station is one.

The shop is just a normal shop, and does not contain half the petrol fumes as the forecourt, nor the diesel spillages. Yes, things on the shelf are flammable, but that goes for any shop, and a can of oil or Redex is unlikely to explode in your face. Just bad practise is all.
--------------
Mike Farrow
Oi Mike, as a Duty Manager, I like to go to the petrol station to escape all the c*** in the main store!!

Seriously, petrol stations attached to supermarkets seem to be a lot more stringent, doubling up of staff at all times, staff are usually better trained and better customer service (possibly due to how easy it is for customers to complain).

smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - mfarrow
Oi Mike, as a Duty Manager, I like to go to
the petrol station to escape all the c*** in the main
store!!

No offense to duty managers intended! :-)
Seriously, petrol stations attached to supermarkets seem to be a lot
more stringent, doubling up of staff at all times

That only works when they replace sick staff instead of leaving two servers instead of four in the 18:00 rush hour, with a woman stuck in the broken down carwash with a queue behind her. Joy!
staff are
usually better trained and better customer service (possibly due to how
easy it is for customers to complain).

I got the same training as store staff. In fact, less, as in the store you're watched for the first half hour or so of your first shift. No training staff go to do that at the petrol station!

--------------
Mike Farrow
should i call head office...or go higher

I personally have more important things to think about. I ceased to be an angry young man when (at quite a young age) I realised I couldn't rectify all the wrongs of this world.
--
L\'escargot.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Nsar
Far less risk than someone walking past on pavement smoking and that's not considered dangerous.
I used to do some work on gas platforms in the Nth Sea and was suprised to find that there was a smoking room on them. It was fitted with car fag lighters as the ignition source.
Shop elsewhere.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Altea Ego
The Hindenburg had a smoking room, look what happened to that!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - Nsar
But did it have 12v glowing wire thingies? No. I rest my, oh hang on the platform I'm referring to caught fire last week...
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - cheddar
Surely common sense should prevail, throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind.
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - stevied
50 years ago everyone smoked, and no-one coughed when you lit up.... it's conditioning. No-one smells that bad if they are near to a smoker for less than a minute.

BUT BUT BUT I do agree that anyone in a customer facing role should not smoke/be on phone in front of customers.

I think we should separate the rather prissy "ooh it's disgusting" from the more rational recognising of bad customer service.

Off-thread, apologies: am reminded of the Dave Allen sketch where the smoker says "you complain about me but you drink!" and the drinker responds "yes, but I don't urinate on you afterwards".

: )
smoking and mobile phone at petty statio - cockle {P}
With regard to the danger of smoking I have worked in a refinery where we were not allowed to take certain electrical equipment onsite nor cellphones nor lighters or matches but tucked away in the middle was a smoking room equipped with glow plugs for lighting your cigarette. It was deemed perfectly safe to smoke as long as you remained inside the room, smoking outside the room attracted the penalty of instant dismissal, presumably if the refinery hadn't been blown to kingdom come along with the offender!
should i call head office...or go higher

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!
--
L\'escargot.