What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Woody
As I read more and more reports and tests of the new Civic it is becoming quite clear that Honda have made a complete mess of their best seller.

Quite simply they are allienating their traditional mature buyers with a ludicrously complicated, bi-focal, two tier dash and a ride so harsh as to rattle the false teeth and jar the dodgy back.

It would seem intentional as their aim is to rebrand as a young persons car. Well that won't work because (a) the larger engines send insurance too high (b) it's a Honda (b) it tries so hard to be 'cool' that it is the complete opposite and (d) Ford, VW, Seat and Vauxhall all make better cars in this segment.

They'll be falling on their swords by June.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Hamsafar
In the tiny damp island of the UK in the corner of Europe, yes, but in USA and Asia, it has always been a boy racers car.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Sprice
Youths love Hondas, they are one of the most popular brands to mod, look at all the messed up examples on ebay! I admit, I'm not overly enamoured with the new version, but at least its different.

Youre having a laugh if you think Ford etc make better cars than Honda.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Hamsafar
I rather like the new one, and I consider myself a young fogie.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Stuartli
Has Woody been reading today's Mail on Sunday Financial Mail supplement by any chance...?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - David Horn
You appear to have two (b)s.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - quizman
Quite simply they are allienating their traditional mature buyers

They ought to name it the Honda Cameron.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - T Lucas
Honda sales in the UK are a very small percentage of their overall world sales and they have a very different image in the rest of the world that appreciates the engineering qualities.
I would bet a large sum that the sales of the new model Civic will easily beat the old one in the UK.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - madf
Maybe Honda have decided they don't want old fogies driving their car in the UK because of the image?

If I were Honda, that's what I would want.

At my age I define an "old fogie" as anyone who is at least 10 years older than me .. so probably in their seventies..:-(
madf
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - NowWheels
They ought to name it the Honda Cameron.

And supply it with permatan and a preganant wife whose belly gets patted in public? ;)
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - nortones2
Think Woody is ever so slightly anti-Honda: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36910

Got anything more original for the next thread?
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Cardew
Think Woody is ever so slightly anti-Honda: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36910
Got anything more original for the next thread?

He is only using the well tried ?proof by repeated assertion? technique.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Roly93
Personally I absolutely disagree, I thibnk the new Civic will do really well and is a radical design move that will pay handsomely for Honda. It is hard to break the boredom of may new car designs, but Honda have done a lovely job here.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Stuartli
Let's not forget that the superceded Ford Focus was quite strongly criticised for its styling when it first came out, yet it still looks as good today as the day it was launched.

Now Ford has returned to a rather anonymous design with the new model...:-(

Good on Honda - at least it's a break from tradition and, without that, the world would never make any progress.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Pugugly {P}
superceded Ford Focus

My thoughts exactly when I saw an early Ford Focus and a new Honda parked next to each other. I think that Honda have launched a brave effort. Plenty of blander vehicles in their range for the over 50s be they physically or mentally so.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - oldgit
As I read more and more reports and tests of the
new Civic it is becoming quite clear that Honda have made
a complete mess of their best seller.
Quite simply they are allienating their traditional mature buyers with a
ludicrously complicated, bi-focal, two tier dash and a ride so harsh
as to rattle the false teeth and jar the dodgy back.
It would seem intentional as their aim is to rebrand as
a young persons car. Well that won't work because (a) the
larger engines send insurance too high (b) it's a Honda (b)
it tries so hard to be 'cool' that it is the
complete opposite and (d) Ford, VW, Seat and Vauxhall all make
better cars in this segment.
They'll be falling on their swords by June.

My dislike of this new model is aimed mainly at the common trend now of glazing the car with less glass area than before making the interiors very gloomy and difficult to look out of.

This and many other reasons is why I chose the new MKV Golf for my purchase rather than the Series 1 BMW which suffers the same lack of vision.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Pugugly {P}
I agree with olsgit here, looking in the rear view mirror of the 1 series was like looking down a very long tunnel. I still don't like them after trying very hard.
My dislike of this new model is aimed mainly at the
common trend now of glazing the car with less glass area
than before making the interiors very gloomy and difficult to look
out of.

I deplore that trend too, and the restricted visibility seems downright unsafe. I wonder how many reversing accidents we'll have to see before manufacturers are forced to mend their ways?

But with the Civic, I'm also put off by the contrived front end, which someone here usefully desribed as looking an old Amstrad hifi.

The Focus was radically new, but it didn't look contrived, and it was functional. The Civic ain't, and it's going to go out of fashion very quickly.
I've sat in the new model, and it seemed quite reasonable re forward vision, but until i drive, I cant really tell what its strengths and weaknesses are. Rearward vision seems OK, but then I have driven vans, relying on wing mirrors. Not many people seem to use them.... As for external appearance, entirely personal and easily changed, as the USA version shows. I expect it to do better than the doom-sayers wish.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - barneybee
A colleague and I went to the local Honda dealership to have a nose at the new Civic. Well it's certainly radical, however I didn't like the dash, it's 'funky' but it looks a nightmare to keep clean and odd to look at. Comments such as it's looks like an aircraft dash, were made.

They had a Civic Type R near to the new model and the Type R looked more roomy. I thought the new cicic was a little cramped. Interestingly the Type R had 17's on it and the two new Civic's appeared to have 18's.

The other thing that I couldn't understand, why have they got that black trim around the arches, I thought we'd ditched that along with the Fiesta XR2. When mentioning this to my colleague the sales man jumped in and said it was to prevent stone chips. An 'interesting' explanation!

I did once consider buying the older shapped civic (type r shape) but I'm afraid I wouldn't consider a new one.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Xileno {P}
It's a great looking car, the first Honda that i would seriously consider buying.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
I saw one last week and took a second look to see what it was. I was suprised at the civic badge but I do think it's good looking. Can't comment on drive experience etc though. Just had a look on the web and it's apparently going to be from $12,000 (USD) to $20,000 (USD) in the States.. somehow I doubt we'll see the prices reflect the £1 = $1.75 in this country. I feel robbed.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Woody
I certainly am not a Honda fan given recent events, but am looking at a new hatchback to replace a 4 year old Leon 1.6, so have a genuine interest in models of this type.

I honestly feel the new Civic is a corporate cock-up, given that, surely for any car, the most likely buyer of a new model is an owner of the previous model. Imagine a more mature driver trying to see out the back of this thing. The two tier dash plays havoc with the eyes and, I repeat, the ride is harsh and uncompromising, in the name of 'sporty'. Just who is going to buy one?

On a similar note, the Seat Altea is a handsome beast, umtil you try looking out of it. Door pillars like tree trunks, back screen like a pillar box jaw and 2 feet of dash to reflect in the sun all day. Didn't even bother test driving it.

In the quest to be funky, cool, radical and other dreadful marketing man cliches the new genre seems to be to pack with gadgets whilst ignoring basics such as comfort and safe vision.

Time will tell and I accept the fact that Honda's image is different around the globe, but in the UK this Swindon built freak will be a failure.

Woody
I honestly feel the new Civic is a corporate cock-up, given
that, surely for any car, the most likely buyer of a
new model is an owner of the previous model. Imagine a
more mature driver trying to see out the back of this
thing.

Woody, although I dislike the new Civic, I have to disagree with you, because I undertsand the business logic. Sometimes, if your customer base is ageing or inappropriate, you need to go get a whole new one.

A friend bought a pub fifteen years ago, and his first priority was to drive away all his customers. Sounds crazy, but this large and lovely place had been neglected and become a haunt of the lowlife ... and it was only by driving them away that he could rebuild it as a really good village pub with fine beers and a reputation for good food.

The pub was a real success, which it wouldn't have been if he hadn't deliberately alienated existing customers.

Honda had a similar problem, with the Civic seen as a car for old fuddy-duddies. I think that was unfair, and as much the fault of motoring journalists as of the reality of the product, but for an aspirational product like a £15,000 car, perceptions are all.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Altea Ego
"the most likely buyer of a new model is an owner of the previous model."

No its not. People change cars because they want - a change.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - smoke
Had a look around one before christmas, and really liked it.Journalists have complained about the ride and excessive noise, but maybe that is due to the HUGE wheels and low profile tyres that go on the test cars. I havn't driven the civic myself, but when i drove a base model Saab 9/3 followed by a Vector with the big 18 inch wheels, i was amazed at how choppy and jarring the ride became, as well as the amount of noise that came into the cabin.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Adam {P}
>>On a similar note, the Seat Altea is a handsome beast,<<

No. It isn't! Which probably explains why I don't think the new Civic is all that bad!
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Manatee
As it happens I love the look of the new car and the speed readout in the eyeline and forward of the other instruments is a nice feature - less effort to accomodate the focus change and now that we have to know the numerical speed if we want to keep our licences, a timely idea.

That said I drove our previous model Civic a few days ago - I had forgotten how good it was; unbelievable passenger space and a walk through interior, at least until the introduction of the centre console. Subjectively, space-wise the only improvement on the new one is the boot, which is much bigger.

The new model is not really an evolution of the old but a different style altogether - it may well appeal to a different set of customers, but quite likely will turn off many who like the previous model.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Cardew
I am simply amazed at the importance so many people place on the looks of the Civic.
Harsh ride, terrible visibility, high prices - never mind when I sit in it I know that other people think it is a nice looking car.

Form over Function - not half!
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - BeeBee
I test drove four different cars in that class a few days ago, in the following order:

1. Vauxhall Astra
2. Citroen C4
3. Ford Focus
4. Honda Civic

The Civic was last. Until I drove that, I'd set my heart on the C4. I ended up falling in love with it and buying the car. Oops!

I accept that the styling, particular the interior, will not be to everyone's taste. I honestly thought that the layout was logical and completely appropriate. Certainly unconventional, but in my opinion, the split-level dashboard makes perfect sense and I liked the speed readout being right up at the top, where it should be (I liked the C4 layout too). Admitedly, I couldn't justify the separate red starter button considering you still need to turn a key anyway, but there you go.

I didn't think the ride and handling was different to anything else in its class. Certainly on a par with the C4. Perhaps the Focus did better and was fun to drive, but I'm afraid every other car in its class looks boring by comparison.

While I was in the dealership sorting out the paperwork, I noticed another customer take a look at the car -- she opened the drivers door, took one look at the interior and exclaimed "Certainly NOT" and walked out. I guess you can't please everyone.

I should get the car in a couple of weeks or so. I can't wait.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - jase1
> While I was in the dealership sorting out the paperwork, I noticed another customer take a look at the car -- she opened the drivers door, took one look at the interior and exclaimed "Certainly NOT" and walked out. I guess you can't please everyone.

Chortle.

I would suggest to that customer a Hyundai Accent.

If new-fangled things frighten them then the Accent is ideal.

I dunno. Damn luddites. Should all be banned from owning a car....
I test drove four different cars in that class a few
days ago, in the following order:
1. Vauxhall Astra
2. Citroen C4
3. Ford Focus
4. Honda Civic

May I ask, why not the new Golf MKV or Mazda 3 ?
Good question.

The Golf, I didn't actually test drive, although a friend of mine has one. It's a very nice car and any car that comes with a bottle opener as standard equipment, as his does, is very civilised! I'd have considered it, although I'd probably have gone for the C4 over it.

Didn't actually look at the Mazda. Never really made it past the Civic as by that time, I was hooked. Oops...

Honda's Civic Catastrophe - kenl
Good question.
The Golf, I didn't actually test drive, although a friend of
mine has one. It's a very nice car and any
car that comes with a bottle opener as standard equipment, as
his does, is very civilised!

>>

Not true!

You need to order the optional armrest to get the bottle opener.
I test drove four different cars in that class a few
days ago, in the following order:
1. Vauxhall Astra
2. Citroen C4
3. Ford Focus
4. Honda Civic
The Civic was last. Until I drove that, I'd set
my heart on the C4. I ended up falling in
love with it and buying the car. Oops!
I accept that the styling, particular the interior, will not be

>>Admitedly, I couldn't justify
the separate red starter button considering you still need to turn
a key anyway, but there you go.

Frankly, I would not consider any new car that has a separate starter button (at least for the time being, until they all force it upon us).
For that reason but not that reason alone, I rejected that ugly duckling, the BMW Series 1. To start that car you had to place that key fobby thing into a slot first, with your left hand (was on the left hand side of steering wheel on the fascia) then depress the clutch pedal (not a bad thing, I suppose) after which you pressed the 'Start' button to initiate ignition - what a palaver, almost as laboured as my missive!
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - J Bonington Jagworth
"you had to place that key fobby thing into a slot first.."

Clearly taking their cue from motorbikes. To start mine, you have to put the key in, pushing in and out first before it will rotate, press cut-out switch, lift side-stand or select neutral, find the right choke setting, pull in clutch and press the start button. On some, you have to turn the fuel on, too...
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - J Bonington Jagworth
"I am simply amazed at the importance so many people place on the looks of the Civic"

Or any other car. How many are bought simply because someone (no names, no pack drill) just liked the colour?

Must be depressing for manufacturers, although at least it gets applied fairly evenly.

FWIW, my objection to the Civic is not just its rearward vision, it's the visibility out the front, with those enormous pillars! A major contributor to SMIDSY motorcycle accidents (sorry mate, didn't see you) - Honda should be ashamed!
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Dude - {P}
I have to say I was truly smitten with the shape initially, but once I sat in the car, the all round visibility was so restrictive, I did`nt even want to test drive the car, which was a great disappointment as the new 1.8 petrol engine IMHO is a real cracker.

At the end of the day, whilst the style of a vehicle is very important, it should never take precedence over substance and particularly safety.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - mike hannon
Well, I'm an old(ish) fogey and a long-term Honda driver and I think this Civic at last looks the business. The previous shape was just a van.
And if anybody wants a fascia that looks like an Amstrad stereo they only have to go and pick up a secondhand Focus.
I've just spotted an ad for the new Civic over here in France and I'll be off to the dealer when I get the chance, to give it a try. My pal up the road has an Opel Meriva and (surprise, surprise) he's keen to give it a go as well.
We have a fifth generation Prelude with thickish rear side pillars and a back spoiler so you can't see too well out of that either, but it's brilliant fun to drive - and it does have big mirrors...
FWIW, my objection to the Civic is not just its rearward
vision, it's the visibility out the front, with those enormous pillars!

and for rear passengers, it's visibility out the side too :(
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Kingpin
Desperation. May date quickly like the Astra MkII. Glad I don't have to work inventing new car models as there is nothing left anymore to try. Renault tried ugly with the Megane and it fell flat now Honda go down the max power, plastic chrome and big wheels styling route. Others try the mpv huge front end and pillars look. I prefer evolution than revolution, eg Golf or Focus. Who wants to sit in a bathtub with no visibility? Bring back the MkII Golf or Mercedes 190 as cars designed to fit people in, be easily driven and long lasting.
>. Renault tried ugly with the Megane and it fell flat<<

Really? I see them everywhere and despite not being a Renault fan, I kinda like them. Even Dad - a staunch anti French car...ist after our Peugeot debacle likes them.
It's been a huge seller. Not ugly either...
Megane, is a shape thats dating quite well, has user amd market acceptance and is selling well in the market today.

Time is important.

While I thought the new civic was WOW and FAB and looks good - only time will tell. And to be frank, I dont think time will be kind to it*. I hope I am wrong as bravery in design like that deserves to be recognised.

*In the words of the Kaiser Chiefs #Every day I love you less and less#
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Don't try and sound hip and cool RF.

you're already cool
And the hip is athritic
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - henry k
It's been a huge seller. Not ugly either...

>>
I know it is the USA version but someone loves it

Honda Motor Co. became the first automaker to sweep the North American Car and Truck of the Year awards on Sunday, with auto critics choosing the Honda Civic and the Honda Ridgeline as the most outstanding new vehicles of 2006.

Honda's Civic Catastrophe - mss1tw
This is a country with cars like the Pontiac Aztec though.
How can you not like this?

www.tcar-recovery.com/photos/260667.jpg
you DID splash the drain cleaner in your eyes....

FiFi is half trained as a guide dog, she can lead you up the garden path anyway........
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I'm taking delivery on Monday. It's very exciting.

Also my pen is leaking.
I'm so very very sorry about your pen.

Good luck with the new car.
Let the sales figures answer the question. If it's a catastrophe, we will know soon enough. Somehow I don't think it will be. For some time the Japanese have been very good at building reliable but slightly boring cars, a few exceptions noted. Now they seem to be excelling at building reliable interesting cars.
Exactly X. The only thing that's put me off buying a Jap car is the interiors. Dreadfully bland and enough in themselves to completely dissuade me from getting one.

Could the Civiv break the mould?
They haven't brought out an even newer car. I meant Civic obviously.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Malcolm_L
I'm with Xileno on this - let the sales figures have the final say.

Renault have caught a cold with the Modus and Ford did likewise with the Fusion, whatever you think of the new Civic it's certainly
got a lot of attention for the right reasons - albeit initially.

I hope it does succeed, if only to encourage other manufacturers to be less conservative.
I also suspect that the beancounters had little to do with launching such a radical car which is another good reason we should all hope that it's a success.
It must be a French pen.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How can you not like this?
www.tcar-recovery.com/photos/260667.jpg

Mummy, my eyes hurt!
I honestly think that is the ugliest car I have ever seen. No really. That's a bold statement but that's bold ugliness.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Turbodog
I'll throw my hat in the ring....

I absolutely loved the look of the new civic when I first saw it in Top Gear mag, and I thought the interior looked bold, stylish, exciting. But when I went and sat in one I was really disappointed by the cheap, plasticky feel of it. If the finish was of VAG (or even Ford) quality I could probably forgive the other issues you all mention.

But then I'm quite enjoying a 1.2 Skoda Fabia at the moment....

Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Avant
"I see on the what car website their doing a comparison in this months mag between the focus golf and civic.Has anyboby read it?
If so how did the new civic compare!!"

Apologies if I've missed someone aleady answering this, but What Car's order of preference was:

1 Octavia
2 Golf
3 Focus
4 Civic - "a good car up against three excellent ones".

What Car liked the Civic's looks, engine (1.8), flexible load space, fuel-efficiency, low emissions and strong residuals.

They disliked: ride, noise, lack of steerinjg feel, poor rear vision, price and rear headroom.

Styling is of course a matter of opinion, but I totally agree with people above about visibility, both front and rear. This is a matter of safety - and most of us have heard stories about small children being knocked down by cars reversing, even at very low speeds.

SWMBO has a Civic type S but she won't have another for this very reason. She disliked her 206 for the same reason - whereas the 205s were very good for visibility all round.

It surely must be possible for stylists to make cars that look good but have reasonable glass areas. I don't think anyone would clas the A4 as ugly - but even this has less glass than its predecessor, fo no obvious reason.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - alex

There's a road test in today's Autocar.

One of the downsides with the new Civic is that Honda has reverted to old-fashioned torsion beam suspension (hence the inferior ride quality) whereas the new Focus and Golf have more sophisticated multi-link set ups.

Torsion beam costs Honda less money. So I guess the savings have been spent on the exterior and interior styling.
The vast majority of buyers wouldn't know one suspension set up from another and wouldn't probably care. Looks will always outsell ability, re. Calibra v Corrado in one good example.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Malcolm_L
Another form over function is the Chrysler PT cruiser, which was based on the Neon which itself was cheap rather than good value.

It's slightly better than the Neon but IMHO both of them share possibly the worst engine in the world - very American handling too, great in a straight line but carp round bends, always adjusting the line as they would bump steer badly, not confidence inspiring at all.
Honda's Civic Catastrophe - Dude - {P}
In today`s Autocar`s road test, they placed the Honda 4th, - Focus was first, then joint second was the BMW 1 series and Golf 2.0 FSI GT.

They particularly slated the Honda ride, which on UK roads was totally unacceptable, - it would seem that Honda have traded the practicality of additional boot space by ditching the old double wishbone suspension and replacing the rear with a cheaper and inferior torsional beam and the fronts with McPherson struts. The 1.8 petrol engine is a screamer if thrashed through the gears but has very little low end torque, and so if driven in this manner, fuel consuption takes a nose dive (only 20.3 mpg during track testing).!!!!
Ride most likely poor due to 45 section 225 tyres on 17" rims, with stiff springs giving plenty of grip, but at a price. EX version sounds one to avoid!