What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Part-ex question - Monkeycage
Hi all,

I have just done a deal on a Mini Cooper S from a main dealer and have agreed a part-ex value subject to visual inspection etc, no problems there as car is as described. Part-ex is a 52 plate scenic and the deal they have given me is about £750 less than I would have expected. I am happy with this as I got a great deal on the car and knocked £500 off their list price so swings and roundabouts.

Is there any point in trying to sell my car privately / ebay / trader prior to the handover in a couple of weeks or is this over-complicating things ?

Part-ex offered is £4200, 2003 52 plate, expression, 28K miles, FSH, silver, good condition.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
Part-ex question - Mike H
If you are happy with the deal, I wouldn't bother trying to sell privately by whatever means. You've got the cost of advertising, the hassle of prospective buyers (if any), the uncertainty of knowing whether you'll get a firm sale the first try etc etc.

Of course you'll never know whether you could have done better, but if you can live with that, just go with the flow!
Part-ex question - jacks
This is taken from Glass's website - trade in values

---------------------------

Renault Scenic Expression
1.4 Petrol 5-door Hatchback
5 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2003 03
Mileage: 28,000
Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£5150
Average condition:
£4620
Below average condition:
£4110

Previous Save
All valuations given are based on a single transaction with a bona fide motor dealer involving the sale of the consumer's car in part exchange for the purchase of a different car from the same dealer.

-----------------------------------

You didn't state petrol/diesel or c.c. but the £4200 looks low, if it's better than a 1.4 then the values are of course higher. check at link below

The link to GLASS's is:

www.snipurl.com/i6aw {Link shortened as was screwing up the page width. DD}

Part-ex question - Marky Mark
Is it my browser, or the do the messages in this thread cause the screen to scroll --->>>>

weird?

MM
Part-ex question - Dynamic Dave
Is it my browser....

No. The link was too long - which I've now shortened.
Thanls for all your prompt replies, if the most I am going to lose is circa £1k then I am quite happy to take the hit on that as the deal is so good on the Mini and I will avoid the tyre-kickers and potential hassles.

Thanks again for all your replies.
Part-ex question - Stuartli
My son had a similar scenario with a provisional part-ex agreement for his then unseen car from a dealership sitated nearly 150 miles away.

When he went to look at the nearly new car he was interested in, he liked what he saw and agreed to purchase it after some negotiation.

When the sales invoice was drawn up later, the salesman informed him that he had added £200 to the part-ex allowance as the vehicle was exactly as described.

I remember being very impressed at the time as the salesman could easily have not bothered with the superior part-ex allowance.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Well I won't hold my breath on that one, BMW dealers are hardly renowned for their generousity. It does make a refreshing change to hear things like this though.

Part-ex question - Truckersunite
Just a word of caution, I once did a similar deal but with motorbikes, When I went to Part ex and pick up the new bike they tried to re value the part ex and drop it by £500, I think they were working on the assumption that as my shiny new bike was sat there I was going to agree. Needless to say I got back on my old bike and was about to ride away when they withdrew the lower offer, The company in question has now gone out of business, not surprising with tactics like that used!!!!!!
Part-ex question - cheddar
What spec is the Expression, alloys?, aircon?, elec windows?, also what engine is it? Sounds quite a good buy for under £4500.

Regards.
Part-ex question - The Lawman
I had the same deal tried on with me. I stuck to my guns too, and they backed off.
Just to tie up loose ends the scenic is the petrol 1.6 16v, no alloys, aircon, twin sunroofs.

I am not too worried about getting stitched up by the dealer as I did this before when buying a car over the phone and we had no problems with px values, that was a Saab dealer so hopefully BMW will be equaully (dis) honourable. :-)