What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A4 paint problems - Albert
The lacquer on the areas behind the wheels , lower wing front and rear has "lifted" in very small circular areas about 5mm across on average,there are only about ten of these blobs but obviously it can only get worse the areas in question affected are only the size of a hand and are were road salt etc would be thrown up from the wheels. I noticed them after the server weather we have just left at first thinking they were bits off persistence dirt.The car gets polished twice a year and hand washed every week and is only in its 2nd winter. Obviously it has a 3 year paint warranty so i will take it to the dealer,but having had metallic cars before with no problems i interested in any comments from people that have , the paint Finnish looks top drawer.
Re: A4 paint problems - Andrew
Albert

Are the areas you mention areas where road debris is thrown up from the tyres? If so then the laquer could have chipped and exposed the basecoat. Damp could them get underneath the laquer and lift it.
Another possibility is that the basecoat was contaminated prior to the laquer being sprayed on and the adhesion is not as it should be.
Was the car new when you bought it? Even if it was it could have had transit damage poorly repaired.
Anyway if its a warranty job the painter will have to rub down the laquer in the affected area which should remedy the problem. BUT KEEP AN EAGLE EYE OUT FOR ANY OTHER PROBLEM AREAS BEFORE THE WARRANTY EXPIRES!!!!!

Andrew.
Re: A4 paint problems - Pat
My September 200X A4 TDi 115 has black (non-metallic) paint. I've had no problems with it so far, though it does seem to be easily scatched - cats' claws, for instance!. I only ever hand wash it and use Autoglym Extra Gloss polish every 3-4 months, and the shine is superb. The polish makes rain stand off in beads and I think it acts as a barrier between the salt etc and the paint.

Generally, a great car. Awesome combination of power and fuel economy, and superb build quality. My first ever brand new car, and I intend to keep for about 10 years, with it becoming the second car in about 3 years.
Re: A4 paint problems - David Withers
Pat, as you've discovered, black is softer than other colour car paints. Silver has always also been an 'iffy' colour, prone to lifting and chipping, though it is now better than it used to be.

David.
Re: A4 paint problems - Honest John
Albert, please keep us posted as to whether ot not you get the repairs on the paint warranty. If the dealer cuts up rough and says its down to paint chips, you may not. If he wants to look after you, you will.

HJ
Re: A4 paint problems - alan
Hi

had a problem with a sliver car ..was told VAG had a bad batch of silver.. They resprayes the from of the car at about 9 months old

alan
Re: A4 paint problems - Ronnie Courtney
alan wrote:
>
> Hi
>
>
> had a problem with a sliver car ..was told VAG had a bad
> batch of silver.. They resprayes the from of the car at about
> 9 months old
>
> alan

Alan

Was the "sliver car" a pain the backside? Still, beats a bad patch of grass I suppose.

Ronnie
Re: A4 paint problems - Randolph Lee
So what is the "best" colour these days of low VOC paints? the new Reds fade quickly the black is soft etc etc are any of them as good as the old Imiron 2 part stuff That M-Benz and a few others used to offer as an expensive option in the 70s and 80s? what is good today on a new car?
~R
Re: A4 paint problems - Honest John
Silver is generally the safest colour for re-sale.

HJ
Re: A4 paint problems - Colin M
HJ, I was thinking about colour choices and thought silver was a bit passe these days. Do you still think silver will be a colour of choice 3 years down the line?

PS This talk of silver peel reminds me of the bootlid of my Silver Fox MKII Cortina!