What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Possible NIP and Leaving the Country - A9er
A Question for the BIB, legal experts etc. I may have been recorded speeding, I was doing about an indicated 80 on a duel carriageway approaching a traffic car with an officer deploying what appeared to be an old fashioned hand-held gun. I slowed down on seeing the marked car. I wasn?t stopped but there was no sign of a second police vehicle. If I have been caught it?s a fair cop. However, I was on a short visit back to the UK while in the middle of a 6month overseas contract. I have primed my wife to look out for any NIP but what I need to know is what I / my wife can do in respect to my licence which I need physically to have with me should this happen. My wife is able to produce insurance and MoT certificates. It takes approx 5 days to DHL documents to my current location, therefore sending docs back and forth is likely to be slow. Any help or sources of information would be welcome. Thanks in anticipation.
Possible NIP and Leaving the Country - Dwight Van Driver
The chances are that you will hear no more.

Normal practice, unless things have changed, for use of hand held is to have a stopping officer further down the road. Further technology I now understand is that ANPR is down to the size of a handheld, so he may have been fishing for bigger criminals.

If within the next 14 days no paper work through the post - another undetected crime. Your in the clear.

Latest I have heard is that by 2007 all within the EU will be able to chase each others speeders etc. No hiding place.

DVD

Possible NIP and Leaving the Country - Bill Payer
Even if you get a NIP (and you want to accept it, and not have it hanging over you) your wife could return it for you, squiggling your signature. You'd then get a FPN, and she could return that, your driving licence and a cheque. Suggest you leave it a few days so you could claim to have signed it and DHL'd it back, but in reality all they're interested in is getting your money.
Possible NIP and Leaving the Country - Harmattan
Yes. All they want is the money. I was in a similar but slightly different position recently when a car registered in my name in the UK was clocked speeding and the NIP was sent for my attention. As I am 5000 miles away, my wife filled in the form with the name of the suspected driver, left it unsigned and added a note saying I couldn't sign it and return within the specified time. Result was a FPN by return to the driver and nothing more as far as I was concerned. However, the driver also got a NIP for driving an articulated Scania at excess speed somewhere in Northamptonshire!

The NIP does have a section relating to the driver having left the country which is supposed to be filled in by the registered keeper. You could always suggest someone else fills that in with your details but leaves it unsigned and wait and see. If a NIP arrives, get it scanned and e-mailed if possible so you can read the small print. I don't know where you are but DHL cost me £50 one-way as a one-off recently and even using a company account now it is £25 each way. Since you probably don't want to entrust your driving licence to the normal post, it adds quite a lump to a standard fine.