Leaking tyre rim - any car - Chris S
One of my tyres is loosing about 2psi every week (200 miles).

I've put the wheel in a bath of water and a small bubble emerged from one place on the rim.

Is there any easy way to fix this or do I need to get another wheel?

(I can't have a tube fitted because they aren't made for the tyre size 155/65 R13)

Thanks.

Relax, it`s a Rover!
Leaking tyre rim - any car - doctorchris
You could cautiously try inflating the tyre to maybe 50% above normal to try to force the tyre bead back onto the rim.
Probably needs checking at a tyre depot though.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - Roly93
You could cautiously try inflating the tyre to maybe 50% above
normal to try to force the tyre bead back onto the
rim.
Probably needs checking at a tyre depot though.

>>
I had exsactly the same problem with the brand new alloy spare on my Audi, and I did just what it says above which cured the problem.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - Dynamic Dave
What's more than probably happened is the wheel weights have caused the inner edge of the wheel to corrode.
You really need to get the tyre removed from the wheel and then remove the corrosion from the inner edge, then spray paint over the bare metal - I find Hammerite smooth finish in silver does an excellent job.
Finally get the tyre put back on.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - martint123
I had this a couple of years ago. Took it to a tyre place and they did it free as the tyre doesn't have to come off, just pushed away from the rim - wire brushed all the way round and tyre inflated. No chance of painting with this method, maybe wait until new tyre due and do it then when the tyre comes right off.

Martin
Leaking tyre rim - any car - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I'd this problem some years ago on my Morris Marina.
Took bead off rim, wire brushed and slapped some silicone grease on to prevent further rusting. Job done.
A few nights later at 3 am I suddenly realised what I'd done and sure enough investigation showed the tyre was merrily skidding round the rim, without losing air, every time I braked!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - Adam {P}
You may want to try a tyre place and let them have a look. I only say because I was having a new rear tyre fitted and a new front one which was losing air as yours.

An unscrupulous place would have put two new tyres on but they found the front one to be corroded on the inner rim (beading was mentioned somewhere) of the alloy. They fixed that for nothing and just charged me for the new tyre.

Of course, you have to find a decent tyre place. But wven then, I can't imagine it being too expensive.
--
Adam
Leaking tyre rim - any car - Doc
(I can't have a tube fitted because they aren't made for
the tyre size 155/65 R13)

They do make a tube for this size wheel--I have had a couple fitted.

Leaking tyre rim - any car - sierraman
Suprised at that as it has been illegal to fit tubes in tubeless tyres for many years.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - Chris S
Thanks for all the advice - I'll try over-inflating the tyre first to see if that fixes it.

Relax, it`s a Rover!
Leaking tyre rim - any car - Doc
Suprised at that as it has been illegal to fit tubes
in tubeless tyres for many years.

Are you sure?

Can you quote the relevant law?

Leaking tyre rim - any car - Civic8
>>Suprised at that as it has been illegal to fit tubes in tubeless tyres for many years.

Thought that only applied to low profiles?.could be wrong

--
Steve
>>Suprised at that as it has been illegal to fit tubes

Yes, I thought it only applied to wheel sizes 14" and above. Last I heard fitting a tube in a 13" wheel is fine.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - Civic8
>>>> >>Suprised at that as it has been illegal to fit tubes

Yes, I thought it only applied to wheel sizes 14" and above. Last I heard fitting a tube in a 13" wheel is fine.

Unless anyone knows different I agree?
--
Steve
Leaking tyre rim - any car - MW
Had a Passat 8 years ago that had had a tube fitted to the rear. Blew out at 65 mph on a motorway coming back from a booze run to France. Did nothing dramatic and 'eased' over to the hard shoulder OK. All the wine had to come out to get to the buried spare. All OK in the end, but I can't understand this idea of a tube. You loose all the benifits of a tubeless tyre, especially slow deflation. I don't know about the cost, but it must be £20 plus plus. A decent new tyre is only £50. Why compromise safety and performance. Its madness and dangerous.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - martint123
Tubes in tubless tyres depends on the maker and construction.
Most tubless tyres I've come across are very rough on the inside with all sorts of 'casting' lumps that would soon destroy a tube.

From Dunlops site

If original tyres were fitted with tubes, new tubes should always be fitted in replacement tyres

Tyres not marked "tubeless" should always be fitted with tubes

Dunlop tubeless tyres may be fitted with a tube if necessary except for 65 series and below

Tyres marked 'TD' must NOT be fitted with tubes

Metzeller:-
The repair of a punctured tubeless tyre by means of fitting a tube is not permitted.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - R.Turpin
I also had a rim leak, but due to a kerbed rim. As it was the spare I took it to a dodgy 2nd hand tyre place who painted the place on the rim with black glue type goo and it never leaked again, even after use.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - OldOiler
If the over pressure does not work, LOC TITE make a sealant which you paint on - if its bad , but it will mean tyre off rim job - road salt causes havoc with alloy rims !!
K2
LOC TITE make a sealant which you paint on - if its bad....

From previous experience, and follow up information from a friend who works in a tyre garage, using a sealant to seal the tyre to the rim will only work if the rim is first cleared of any loose paint or corrosion.
Leaking tyre rim - any car - glowplug
Why use tubes in tubeless tyres, well if you had a Metro with alloys you'd know why, I think they bought the technology off Typhoo or was it PG Tips?

Steve.