Coolant temperature sensor Golf MkIV - Ian J
I appear to have a faulty coolant temperature sensor(temperature guage display sometimes dosent register although when it does temp is normal, when this happens wiggling temperature sensor restores guage) Car is Golf mk iv 1.4 litre petrol.
Re replacing local Vw suggested that it was not necessary to drain coolant providing cap on header tank was not removed. That is minimal coolant loss if cap on header tank is maintained. Can anyone explain or has anyone done this and can offer advice.
Ian
Coolant temperature sensor Golf MkIV - mjm
I am assuming that you know which sensor you have to replace.
I have changed similar sensors in cooling systems but not Golf in particular. Do it when the engine is cold, you won't scald yourself and there will be no pressure in the system. Yes, leave the cap on.
Get the new sensor ready to hand and check that you can use the same size spanner on old and new sensor.
Remove the connector.
wedge some rag under the sensor and undo it until it is loose/finger tight, don't remove it yet.
Double check that the new one is in reach.
Remove old one with one hand and stick thumb of other hand over hole.
Discard old one and pick up new one with free hand.
Get new one lined up and ready to go!
Remove thumb and insert new sensor. Check it is not cross threaded(keep it pushed in and turn it backwards 1/2 turn or so.
if all is well, tighten it up and re-connect wire.
You will lose some water, but very little.
Don't panic, a little water looks like a radiator full!
Coolant temperature sensor Golf MkIV - elekie&a/c doctor
The coolant temp sensor is very easy to replace on this model.It is usually situated in one of the coolant pipes near top of engine & is a plastic 4-pin sensor either blue or green.It is a push fit & secured by a plastic U- clip.Make sure the engine is cold before changing it & renew rubber O-ring seal that it sits in.
Coolant temperature sensor Golf MkIV - Ian J
Thanks for the helpful advice.
Ian