What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Beware of the Hun in the Sun - Bromptonaut
You may recall this advice on fighter tactics proffered in the film "Battle of Britain". Now we are once again in the season of mists, mellow fruitfulness and low sun it has echoes for today?s motorists.

My trip to work involves emerging from a very minor road onto a less minor road at the top of a blind summit. There are ample warning signs and SLOW's in the less minor road. View to left (east) this morning straight into sun. Nothing evident and start to emerge; yeeeaow PAAAARP, BMW comes blatting out of the sun at NSL and a bit, missed, just.

OK mate if you are reading this think on. If all you can see in your rear view mirror is sun anybody looking towards you might just have trouble seeing. Tomorrow it might be the bin cart and two feet further forward. Hooting your horn and gesticulating won't help then.
Beware of the Hun in the Sun - Martin Devon
Ahah! He was in a Bob Marley and will do just as he pleases. Did he have fogs on as well?

Regards.
Beware of the Hun in the Sun - No Do$h
::clasps hands around head and beats against screen::

Ok, an unfortunate incident but lets leave the make of car out of it please? I get just as much attitude from Mondeo and Passat drivers and I daresay there are those who curse that sleek silver sportwagon that leaves them swaying in its wake.

No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Beware of the Hun in the Sun - hillman
A number of years ago I was working with others on a chemical plant at Geleen in Holland. We used to rent cars for day to day travel. I generally got an Astra, but my colleague, knowing the system better, generally got a Mercedes E200. One week he couldn't work out why all of the Dutch workers broke off and creased up laughing as he drove past. He eventually worked it out. The registration letters were H-HUN and a few numbers. The Dutch don't like the Germans too much in that district.
Beware of the Hun in the Sun - patently
Good point, Bromptonaut. Thanks for the reminder.
Beware of the Hun in the Sun - borasport20
Unfortunatley I think you are preaching to the converted, Bromptonaut.

On my route home for the past few weeks the combination of bright low sunlight, shining down and reflecting off tarmac along with big trees creating deep shadow have been reasons for extra caution. Opposing traffic is difficult to see, cyclists are totally invisible, and non-indicating dark blue busses at bus stops surprised a couple of people !

The past few evenings seem to have been that much brighter and the problem even worse, yet many people continue to drive as if they, and everybody else, has x-ray/radar vision.

It would be nice to be able to remind all our 'Huns' of two things -

1) - Bright sunlight - deep shadow - you can't see very well and nor can anybody else
2) - bright sunlight often means other drivers can't see your indicators, so take care and indicate in plenty of time

--
Sept 2004 - 'Britain on the Move'
curious ? see www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Beware of the Hun in the Sun - No Do$h
Not a bad idea to put headlights on in these conditions. Happily the message seems to have got through to some, although I still get flashed from time to time.
Beware of the Hun in the Sun - BrianW
At this time of the year (and the equivalent time in Spring) the sun is at a low angle during rush hours.
Plus after the summer windscreens have build up a film of dirt.

It's worth remembering that if the sun is behind you and therefore you have good vision, it's directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers and they're practically blind.