What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Channel island cars UK or Imports?? - J500ANT
We're trying to trade in our Leon TDi S that started life as a Jersey hire car, then the dealer who imported it had it in their name so we're the 2nd UK owner.

SEAT UK say its a UK car and it has the standard UK warranty and AA cover (we have a letter confirming the warranty cover but not the UK car bit), but our local Vauxhall dealer say its an import and value it as such (ie £1250 under the online Network Q thingy from Glass' guide)

Who is right?

Tony
Channel island cars UK or Imports?? - LongDriver {P}
It depends where it was sourced from when it was originally registered in Jersey. If it came from France, which I suspect it probably did, rather than from the UK, then it's an import.

How did the Vauxhall dealer find out? You can't tell from the V5 can you?

In any case, he will probably sell it on at the same price as he would for a UK vehicle, so I'd walk away and buy from someone else!

I don't believe you have to tell buyers that your vehicle is an import, unless they specifically ask in any case.
Channel island cars UK or Imports?? - SlidingPillar
You can tell from the V5. It says import.

Swansea do not act as the registration authority for the Channel Islands. So the V5 will be for a car that was not new on the first UK registration (Channel Islands are an overseas dependancy or something like that).

I've got a car that was originally UK. Was exported to Jersey, and subsequently re-imported. A new number on both occasions was issued, but later discusions with a local registration office enabled me to get the original number back.

I don't know where new Channel Island cars are sourced but here I would have thought most buyers in the UK would regard the Channel Islands as part of the UK and would not expect a discount. Indeed with a 40mph speed limit, assuming no obvious salt corrosion, I'd have thought some would pay a premium as it it would be a hard job to thrash one.

My guess is the dealer is trying to maximise their margin by using any excuse to lower the trade in value. Try another dealer as it is the only way you will find out.
Channel island cars UK or Imports?? - Buster Cambelt
Channel Island cars are UK cars if they come from franchished dealers but like the UK there are some "imports" from other sources.

I have had a couple of ex-Jersey cars in the past (family connection). They need a service as soon as they come to the UK and driving hard over the first few thousand miles in the UK as most have not been properly run in.

Older cars will have the usual problems of being in a salty atmosphere.
Channel island cars UK or Imports?? - Stuartli
There used to be quite a few Jersey registered cars in my area until four or five years ago, but rarely since one since.

They were regarded as good buys mainly because of the low speed limit in Jersey (very frustrating at first until you realise you can't go very far any way!) as you point out.

The comparatively few car dealers I saw whilst in Jersey - several years ago now - had new and used prices that were much better than in the UK but, of course, the subject of VAT clearly has an impact.
Channel island cars UK or Imports?? - J500ANT
The car must have come from a SEAT UK dealer, as I called SEAT and asked before buying what the warranty situation was, and the confirmed it had the UK Standard 3yr warranty package. Imports only get 2yrs.

The log book says "Was registered and/or used elsewhere in the UK. Declared manufactured 2002" The date of registration is 01/04/2003 but it first registered in Jersey on 28/03/02.

Of course i'm an honest bloke and would rather tell someone the whole story so that there's no comeback. We have been offered £7250 from the dealer we bought it off, but they dont have a car thats suitable (but they'd love to sell us a 51 plate C5 HDi auto estate!)

I'm about to email another dealer, we will see what the outcome is.

Tony
Channel island cars UK or Imports?? - John24
The Channel Islands are not part of the U.K., but are classed as Dependent Territories, which means they are not full members of the E.U., so technically the dealer is correct in that the car has been imported into the U.K. from outwith the E.U. However he obviously doesn't want your business.