What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speed Humps - Grounding - Dulwich Estate
Until yesterday I used to drive straight over those 1 metre square 150mm high humps which are usually spread 3 across the width of the road.

Perhaps it was the type of road or the view was improved by the setting sun, but I noticed that cars I was following were doing the same and apparently just missing the engine sump or exhaust by no more than a millimetre or two. A Ford Focus maybe even scraped a bit.

It occurs to me that I have been dicing with, well maybe not death, but at least a shock and a big bill.

I think from now on I'll be riding over the humps with one wheel and knocking hell out of the tyre, wheel and suspension.

Anybody damaged their cars this way?
Speed Humps - Grounding - Sooty Tailpipes
I unfortunatly live in Nottingham, which has a neo-marxist city council.
I have to drive over 18,000 of the bleeders a year, just to get to work and back and go out for lunch. I have got money off the Council before, and am due to have a big court case soon. The problem is, once they have been in a couple of years, the tarmac on the approach and especially immediatly after the hymp, gets a depression from all the vehicles crashing over (I have some photos) and what was once a legal hump becomes illegal, or does it? The hump height is measured compared to the road height in the middles, which is where most people DON't drive, and is not where the depressions in the road are the worst.

Good luck with your humps, unil a day where they are ripped out, just like 1960's- 70's tower blocks.
Speed Humps - Grounding - pdc {P}
I put a hole in my sump a couple of years ago, not as a result of going over a hump, but as a result of an uneven road surface near strangeways in manchester. The AA man found me a backstreet garage where the repair cost £40.

However, since then I've been very aware of ground clearance, and never straddle humps now, and always make sure that both wheels are on a hump, when the hump is split.
Speed Humps - Grounding - Mapmaker
When I brought my Audi home the first time, there was an almighty crash as I went over my local speed bump. Two front mudflaps disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Needless to say, I have not replaced them.
Speed Humps - Grounding - Ian Met
Got some of these near us and in our old Audi A3 it was a question of tyre pressure as to whether you'd scrape somewhere or other as you went down there (don't know what was scraping - but they have very low-hanging bits on the rear suspension - sounded pretty glancing!)

Anyway, now have a BMW 320d Touring and the problem has gone away.

Ian
Speed Humps - Grounding - SjB {P}
Along with several other posters, I have commented in recent days about the apparently small gene pool that afflicts pockets of our population.

I saw another example of this last week with respect to speed bumps.

Two girlies in a Ford Ka, laughing and whooping as they raced over a series of truly huge speed bumps outside a parade of shops with the specific intention of getting the car airborne. This they managed twice that I saw, both with the front, and as this suspension compressed violently, the back.

As the traffic queue moved for me, and I disappeared across the head of the road, they were turning round in the side street that contained the speed bumps, presumably for another go...
Speed Humps - Grounding - No Do$h
With all the flexing of the body shell it should remove all the exterior rust from the sills.....

Perhaps this behaviour explains the three "kev cars" I've seen in the last 24 hours where they seem to be driving sideways, often with one corner a lot lower than the others.
Speed Humps - Grounding - Hawesy1982
A road near me has had speedbumps put in three times in two years. They built them, had complaints about grounding, discovered the bumps were illegally high, so completely redid them, then had more complaints about grounding, so they spread some extra asphalt around the edges of the bumps so that they now resemble speed 'hillocks', and do nothing to slow down cars whatsoever.
Speed Humps - Grounding - Mapmaker
Top! Where are they, I'll go and have a go as well!
Speed Humps - Grounding - teabelly
Perhaps we should turn it into some kind of time trialled sport? Get the max power brigade to make their cars go over humps without grounding as quickly as legally possible, preferably as noisily as possible then send them out to go round every street with humps on in a local area as fast as possible. Soon get them ripped up :-)
teabelly
Speed Humps - Grounding - NowWheels
Get the max power brigade to make their cars go
over humps without grounding as quickly as legally possible, preferably as
noisily as possible then send them out to go round every
street with humps on in a local area as fast as
possible. Soon get them ripped up :-)

Only if the council blinked first. If they held their nerve, the max power folk would rapidly run out of cash to pay for the suspension rebuilds.
Speed Humps - Grounding - patently
Confession time.

A new housing estate was built in Bicester. One access was via a long deserted road. For some strange reason, this was chicaned within an inch of its life. To move along it at anything above a crawl was a real test of good, balanced driving.

Once I had to go down there to visit someone. I got to the end, and just had to do a U-turn and try again!

Oooh - Did someone mention the law of unintended consequences?
Speed Humps - Grounding - Thommo
The Supra has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky but when I had it (completely standard) there were roads in Northampton that were simply unpassable without doing serious damage to the car due to huge square speed bumps with brick surrounds on the top.

The most notorious of these was outside a school, so what did the max power brigade who always swarmed around the place at leaving time (unemployed 17 year old Chav's picking up their underage girl friends) do? Yep they mounted the pavements and ran down them. As you say the law of unintended consequences.

These humps were installed by the maoist Labour county council but to be politically balanced the Tories did not remove them when they came to power.
Speed Humps - Grounding - Singer-G
For speed bumps to be effective they should be uncomfortable at excessive speeds, but not at sensible urban speeds. If they are properly designed it should be possible cross a speed hump at 20mph without discomfort or damage. Unfortunately most are uncomfortable, and potentially damaging at anything over walking pace. Some in Gloucester are actually less jaring when taken at speed, although what it does to the car I dread to think.

Surely it should be possible to come up with a design which works
Speed Humps - Grounding - Nick__
I read an article once saying most councils road repair budgets were exhausted paying out compensation before they get round to spending money on repairing roads.....
Speed Humps - Grounding - barney100
Pack Lane, Basingstoke. Excellent safety record, just the odd minor scrape in years: Basingstoke -''we care and listen spending your money wisely''-council's reaction?? Spend £115,00 pounds on speed ramps and humps. Local consultation was brilliantly planned,few people noticed.The humps were the wrong dimensions..spend another £10,000. Huge petition hits the councils doormat demanding removal of said ramps and square humps...reaction...ignore it ''we know better''. Does it take a genius to figure out how to put £125,000 to good use? c'mon honest John, start a nationwide campaign to dump the hump.
"dump the hump" on its own isn't going to make headway with councils, which are increasingly concerned to reduce speeds in residential areas.

The councils will want an alternative way to limit speeds. One which is relatively cheap to install, low-maintenence, and -- ideally it should work by prevention rather than prosecution.

If you don't want speedbumps, what's the alterantive?
Speed Humps - Grounding - Duchess
Do what Derby council did a few years ago when they resurfaced the A6 through Alvaston - put down a really coarse road surface that's physically painful to drive over at anything above 30 mph. Or go back to cobblestones which would have the same effect.

Don't know how much effect it'd have on the school run housewives in the 4x4 though.....

Or go back to cobblestones which would have the same effect.

Disagree on this one.

Even though the heat input to the dampers can be considerable, and likewise the wear and tear on all suspension components, cobblestones taken at 'speed' can be as smooth as silk to the passengers inside a car - I have done it on several Belgian main roads (now tarmaced) many times. They also tend to have zilch friction capacity (read ability to stop), and that's on a dry day!

When I lived in Kuwait, the unsurfaced desert 'routes' (I refrain from calling them roads) used to get very badly ridged. In terms of size, these ridges would be like two inch diameter pipes laid transverserly across the road every six inches for great distances. Take them at 10 mph, and you had a horrid jolt-jolt-jolt movement (as well as taking all day to get to your destination). Take them at 30 mph, amd the shaking imparted to the dashboad in particular was truly violent. Take them at 40mph, and things were getting smoother. Anything above fify, and you hardly knew they were there, though again, suspension component replacement was common.
Speed Humps - Grounding - Thommo
As Singer, and to be fair others on previous threads have pointed out IF these humps were safe to travel over at the posted speed limit then us degenerate petrol heads would have no arguement and surely this is possible if competent engineers are employed? (obviously I mean foreign engineers, the 'best' firm of UK consulting engineers could not even design a pedestrian bridge that was safe for pedestrians) but they are not! They are effectively car traps designed by supporters of the Kymer Rouge concept of taking us back to year zero.
IF these humps were safe to travel over at the posted speed
limit then us degenerate petrol heads would have no arguement
and surely this is possible if competent engineers are employed?

But the whole point of the speed bumps is to force drivers to slow down, way below the speed limit, to a speed that's appropriate for that sort of road.
Speed Humps - Grounding - BazzaBear {P}
But if the speed limit posted is unsuitable for that road, why isn't a lower limit posted?

I think it's more accurate to say that the humps are designed to slow you down to well below the speed limit so that the speed you attain BETWEEN the humps is the limit or lower.
I can think of plenty of examples of 30mph roads, which are perfectly safe to travel along at 30mph, which have humps that can't be traversed at anything over 10.
Speed Humps - Grounding - paulb {P}
But if the speed limit posted is unsuitable for that road,
why isn't a lower limit posted?

Precisely. The things are designed to prevent speeding. Therefore, if it's unsafe to travel at the speed limit along a given road, then the limit's wrong, so reduce it to a speed that is appropriate, and then (if you must...) install road furniture that is so engineered to make it deeply uncomfortable for anyone to exceed that limit.

Round here, we have a couple of roads used as local rat-runs which have those wretched "cushion" things (i.e. 3 small, square humps in a parallel line across the road) in them. Naturally, everyone tries to go round them (i.e. wheels either side) to avoid hitting them (and if you do hit one at anything much above 15 mph, it will, as I have observed on more than one occasion, nearly flip the car over - road safety??? Hmmm...) Trouble is, in going round them, you either have to go over the one on the left side, nearly clipping the kerb, or the one in the middle, which means you have 2 wheels on the wrong side of the road. As you can imagine, the amount of near-head-on collisions that this produces is substantial.

Of course, the official answer to all this would be "You're supposed to go over them, not round them", to which my response would be "Have you actually ever observed human nature at all?" The net result is that these roads are, if anything, more dangerous than it was before. Good work, guys.
those wretched "cushion" things

On the days that I drive to the office (usually WFH) my journey has been transformed since replacing Vectra GSi Estate with V70 Estate.

Why?

The wider track now means that instead of having to deal with the humps in the various manners described, they might as well not be there. Result.
The alternative is fair,will save lives and give the standard of motoring in this country a boost. Catch the speeders and dangerous drivers - punish them. It really is that simple. Humps and bumps solve nothing, indeed I think they cause more problems than they solve. Lets be fair though,put it to the room vote, bumps a good idea or not?
Catch the speeders and dangerous drivers - punish them

So, are you saying replace every speed bump with a camera? Or how else are you gonna catch all theose who speed down the small residential streets?
Speed Humps - Grounding - Adam {P}
Oh dear - we're here again.

I haven't read all of the above posts but I did see NW and BB's posts. If the limit is 30, then why do you have to slow down to 2 to traverse a speed bump? It would make more sense if the limit was 10....or of course if the speed bumps could be crossed at 30 but that's a silly idea.
Adam
Speed Humps - Grounding - Hawesy1982
Two traffic calming measures i've seen which actually work:

1. Similar to the cobblestones idea above, in Holland many residential roads are 'crazy-paved' instead of asphalt. The road noise and tiny vibrations at anything over 30mph are slightly disturbing and you generally have a greater awareness of your speed. These worked on me as on a normal road surface i would have exceeded the limit normally. No doubt these crazy-paved roads are expensive and wear quicker than asphalt, but i would think that from 30mph the stopping distances would be similar.

2. Secondly there was a road near me which until recently had some nice speed-bumps (the table type) which you could clear at 20-25mph with little discomfort, but any higher speed would give you a big jolt. They used a good red brick design and in profile would have looked like a stretched bell shape. This meant your wheels followed the curve of the bump rather than hitting the bump at an angle. The council recently ripped them out and replaced them with 'crash' type bumps instead.
Speed Humps - Grounding - Oz
I know this duplicates a previous post of mine but ...
Our Local Authority apparently has a policy of 'making good' those speed humps which have had bits gouged out of them by car sumps, suspensions, etc.
How cynical is that?
Oz (as was)
There used to be a really good way of catching speedsters, remember the gentlemen who would stop motorists who broke the law? Traffic police was the name they went by and they they were more effective than humps and bumps and cameras. They could also use discretion and a warning from them was enough for most folks to behave behind the wheel.
Speed Humps - Grounding - THe Growler
Where I live in my residential sub-division just about anyone can put in speed humps, for example to slow traffic so they can get out of their driveway. They can it seems be any size and height at the whim of whoever put them there. My Harley is a lowered custom job and always grounding, which is maddening because I keep it in pristine condition every other way.

What everyone does is simply go crab-wise over these excrescences which certainly slows the traffic but drives us all nuts.
Speed Humps - Grounding - madux
My brother-in-law wrecked his exhaust on a speed hump.
"I can't decide whether to put one wheel over them or straddle them" he said. "You could try slowing down", I suggested.
"Oh," he said, "I didn't think of that"
Does this mean the humps are completely pointless?
Does this mean the humps are completely pointless?

I think it just means that your brother was a little slow on the uptake ...
Speed Humps - Grounding - Adam {P}
Or of course that they are..er....ahem....completely pointless.
Adam
Speed Humps - Grounding - SlidingPillar
The ones that irk me are the lump bumps. I can get over them at 3o in the land rover (wide axles) and the majority of car owners seem to manage at little less.

But, in a vintage three wheeler - which would have been doing about the posted 30 mph, I have to reduce the speed to 10 mph. Which then rapidly builds up a queue.

I have a list of roads which are no go's and it is increasing!
Or of course that they are..er....ahem....completely pointless.

Ummm ... the man has just ripped the exhaust off his car by ignoring the bumps. Unless he's terminally stupid, he should get the point by now: slow down

If he still doesn't get it, then I doubt that anything is going to get through to him.
That is exactly my point, NW. Most people don't slow down. They are concentrating on where to place their vehicle instead of watching their speed and looking out for kids running out from inbetween parked cars. Surely this defeats the object?
That is exactly my point, NW. Most people don't slow down.
They are concentrating on where to place their vehicle instead
of watching their speed and looking out for kids running out
from inbetween parked cars. Surely this defeats the object?

Up to a point :)

I agree that the full-width speed bumps are much better, cos ppl don't get deluded into thinking that they can use the through route designed for bigger vehicles ... but it seems to me that most drivers do slow for these lumpy bumps.

The best design I've seen of these things recently is in Ireland, where they have taken to installing a raised platform across the whole of a junction. Whichever way you approach it, you have a ramp up onto the junction, and a ramp down at the far side. Brilliantly effective, without either the dangers of grounding you get with a strip speed-bumps or the swerve-to-avoid problem with the humps.
Good point, NW. This is called 'designed confusion',or something. The idea is that nobody really knows who has priority so everybody slows down. We had some here in Sunny Swindon but they were replaced with 25minute traffic lights a while ago.
What I would like to know is why (in Swindon anyway) all the humps have been placed in what I would call through routes; no houses actually on that bit of road, it simply leads from one area to another. Surely they should be placed in proper residential streets? I wouldn't mind one outside my house, the way people whizz up and down here just to save 0.02sec. before they get to the end of the road. On the other hand, maybe the noise of all those 4x4s crashing over them without slowing down (and my brother-in-law) would keep me awake all night.