What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Servicing - Jane
I've just received a letter from Honda saying that my Jazz is due a service. I bought it new in January and at no point in the manuals does it say anything about a 6 month service. I'm inclined to leave it until it's 12 month service and then follow the advice of the FAQ on how to run in a new car (new synthetic oil and transmission oil change etc)

Is a 6 month service a 'must' or are Honda jumping the gun a little?

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
Servicing - carl_a
Perhaps their computer system is wrong (i.e. someone entered the date in incorrectly), why not phone up the garage and see what the service intervals are meant to be and ask why you have been sent the letter.
Servicing - Mondaywoe
Could this be the 'free service' where the factory filled oil is replaced and the car is checked? This tends to vary from about 500 - 1500 miles, although I can't say I've seen a 'time limit' instead. The idea is to drain off all the tiny pieces of metal that have 'rubbed off' as the engine beds in - perfectly normal, but best out of the system at about this mileage. Some manufacturers even fill the sump with a special grade of oil to cope with this process.

Have a word with the dealer - it's probably something that comes off the computer as a matter of routine.

Graeme
Servicing - Civic8
It may not be a must but a before time change wont hurt.and wont on most cars.They may have made a mistake but most certainly wont hurt having it done.early stages of engine wear will be slowed by doing it.just my thoughts.?
Was mech1
Servicing - Roberson
Hi,

Is this letter from Honda themsleves, or is direct from the dealers garage from which you bought it? I have seen in the past (a long time ago) where the dearler would halve the manufacturers figures in order to stimulate sales of services etc. For example, a VW dealer would sell you a car and the service book would have 12 month/10000 mile intervals, but a sticker, pasted on the front of this book would say ">enter dealer name here< recommends 6 month/5000 mile services....."

This is probably not the case but its an idea.

If you can afford it/have the time, then I agree that it would do no harm. But, if nowhere in any of the Honda publications does it state this service, then I would say you where quite right to also leave this service till 12 months has elapsed. Best ring your dealer anyway, for clarification.

Not necessarily right, but thats my thoughts

Roberson
Servicing - Jane
Ta muchly...will give them a call.

Incidentally my first service (labour and parts) is going to be a free one after I commented on my 'customer satisfaction' form that the 'door protectors' don't protect very well if someone opens their door into yours just where the protector narrows. Within a week I had a letter back giving a reason for the narrowing and offering the free service as a goodwill gesture (totally unexpected as I was only commenting on it, not complaining). 10 out of 10 for Honda Customer Service!

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished